"I worked for Brigstone Constructing Co in Argentina...

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
paolo

"I worked for Brigstone Constructing Co in Argentina...

Post by paolo »

New scam in today:
Phone:
Inquiry:

Hello,
In response to your advert on your apartment for rent.I worked for
Brigstone Constructing Company in Argentina and my company is
sending me to Europe on an official assignment in June.And I am
being posted to your area.I will like to rent your apartment for the
period of (1 Week)that I will be staying in Europe.Pls do give me
the following information.
1.A brief discription of the apartment
2.Cost for one week rental.
3.The address of the apartment
4.The last time the Apartment was painted.
5.The present furniture in the apartment.
6.The Tele Communication systems present in it.
I will be waiting for your response on this if only you would accept
cheque as the payment from my bank.Hope to hear from you in earnest.
My Regards....
Paolo
Lay My Hat
charles

Post by charles »

Out of curiosity Paolo...why do you think that's a scam? It looks borderline genuine to me - though the questions sound more like a burglar would ask - short of asking you the name and address of someone with a spare key!!

Charles

Post by paolo »

Charles,

I received this enquiry for two villas in Provence, not apartments. Most of these scams seem to refer to an apartment, regardless of type of property they are addressed to.

Nobody 'sent on assignment' to Europe is told to find their own accommodation on holiday rental sites!

The English is appalling for someone called James Wayne, and he can't even get the name of his made-up company right - it should be 'Construction', not 'Constructing'.

"I will be waiting for your response on this if only you would accept cheque as the payment from my bank"....already setting you up for the scam to come.

For me this is 100% scam.

I just googled for the company, which doesn't exist, but here is one page that came up for a variant, which is interesting because it tells you what would happen next:
http://www.baltssc.com/board_detail.asp?threadID=8076
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Hi, I've just had this posted to me too. I did reply but told him I wouldn't give out any personal details, including address!! I said there were too many bogus inquirers about. :x

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Here's his reply:
Hello,
Thanks for the details on the Home.Pls do reserve the Home for me.My company (sending me for an official assignment) is responsible for payment of my accomodation which will include my Travelling Expenses,Rent,Allowances,Feeding e.t.c.All these sums up to a total amount of £3,500. for the period of my stay in Europe.
I will contact my Supervisor now telling him I have gotten an accomodation for may stay in Europe.So they will be sending you the full payment in GBP cheque of £3,500 (which includes your rent payment).You will then deduct you rent fee for 1 week of the home which i know it will be of £750.And then you would need to send the remaining balance money to My Personal Assistant (who will be responsible for Booking of my Travelling Air Ticket and other Personal luggages) via Western Union Money Transfer.So I want you to immediately send your details like
Full name (who the check should be sent to)...........
Address (where the check should be sent to)...........
Telephone number.................................................
So i will forward it to my supervisor for immediate payment to be made out to you. Hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks...............

Hmm, maybe I won't bother! :roll:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Out of curiosity, what do these people say when you tell them that you require a check for your exact rental amount? Do they just stop responding?
Brooke
tansy

Post by tansy »

yes they stop...I've one who reckons he's coming for one week 2nd July - 31st July ..work that out :wink:

Funnily enough I've lost contact :lol: [/b]
Ju

Post by Ju »

We got the same mail too. He's going to be very busy if he is working in Provence and the Vendee at the same time!

Ju