Do you answer two-word enquiries?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Margaret wrote:We get a lot of 'where is it exactly' enquiries which are quite genuine. Especially Americans planning complax tours of Europe. Not helped by VRBO, I think it is, who will only classify our location by city and we are forced to choose Munich, 2 hours away.
Point taken Margaret, but it's a lovely day out from the big city and I know all the area phone codes. They are close enough to have a very good idea already without knowing "exactly". International is not a problem of course, but strangely enough, as long as they know how far from the airport, they don't seem to care about the "exactly" part until they need driving directions.

In fact, I just fell for one. Someone asked me if they could have the address because they wanted to take a look online at the satellite photos. I kicked myself afterwards, because after a string of emails, it suddenly went quiet on Friday and I now realize perfectly well that they took a drive out this weekend without telling me, and had a good look round. That's a problem when I have other people in situ who deserve their privacy. :roll:
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

July / August

Well, I would always reply.

November

Would definitely feel in more conversational mood.... :roll:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

July / August
If you accept that six words can sum up your life (as in LV's recent thread) then two for booking a holiday doesn't seem too bad. If you're full, you could enter into the spirit and reply No Go! or maybe Next Year?

Jim
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I answer all my enquiries (apart from the garbled telephone one I received last week with an incorrect return phone number) however short.
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

Margaret wrote:... Not helped by VRBO, I think it is, who will only classify our location by city and we are forced to choose Munich, 2 hours away.
Margaret, none of the town listed in Brittany were suitable for our cottage so we got them to create a new town of Josselin to sit under. It may be worth asking them?
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

As per most of the replies, I would take a deep breath and answer. Resisting the temptation to put something like: 4 - 11 August £575.00 ..... and nothing more.

Bookings come from the strangest quarters.

But we failed today. Very garbled answerphone message about our B&B saying they wanted a coal fire (that's in the cottage) and would come tomorrow if we had a room. We rang back. She thought we were in Middleton-in-Teesdale. We're in the Lake District. About 60 miles further west. Aren't potential punters wonderful :roll: .
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I did try to get VRBO to do another classification but without success. The trouble is, we are a long way from any towns anyone will have heard of and need our region listed but they have refused to do that. So we have to put up with a string of requests for Oktoberfest accommodation. I will have to try again.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

Margaret - do you have a map link on vrbo? they will let you add a google map link...not that that will help as somehow I doubt people ever read ANYTHING I write!

got a good one from vrbo yesterday....said
"accommodations for our family. need at least two
double beds, central airconditioning and a terrace."
for a check-in on a Thursday in July (mine is Sat.-Sat. peek season)

so...emailed back and said:
"we do not have two double beds. we do noot have A/C. we do not have a terrace. I hope you find the perfect place and have a lovely vacation in Italy."

TOTALLY annoyed becasue if they'd have read ANY of the listing OR clicked through to my site they could have answered some of that...though that was it with 'em -but....then get ANOTHER email saying:

"thanks ok if you don't have two double beds - the Queen and two twins will do"
(ha! oh really now - how wonderful)

"please send more details as to cost and location" ummm...location of ITALY? location of the TOWN? location of the HOUSE? In relation to what? why the heck don't people just click the MAP links and read the darn text so they can at leasat ask more specific questions?

...emailed back REMINDING them that we do NOT have airconditioning and we do NOT have a terrace...so...wouold think I will not hear fromr them again ;-) (although, who knows...obviously, they are looking for a dream place for 4 at a budget price)

so...yes...I do take a deep breath and reply to all ;-) actually, my husband goot a laugh about that one -so I guess worth the moment to reply!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:roll: It's said here that some people leave their brains at home while they are on holiday, but it seems that others just don't even have 'em to leave behind!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
rana

Post by rana »

I recently got this request:
"this prosperity available October 09?" (not property - prosperity!)
I always answer potential guests and my immediate answer was: "yes sir"... But they didn't come back to me. How rude!
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

rana wrote:I recently got this request:
"this prosperity available October 09?" (not property - prosperity!)
I always answer potential guests and my immediate answer was: "yes sir"... But they didn't come back to me. How rude!

It is possible that the enquirer does not have English as his first language.

I have a Spanish friend who has lived in the UK for 10 years and she still goes in to ASDA and asks for a cooked kitchen instead of Chicken.
rana

Post by rana »

According to the I.P., the inquiry came from the U S, so I assumed they could speak English. We often have US guests and have never met a "rude American", this one might have been the first one!:wink:
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

rana wrote:No, according to the I.P., the inquiry came from the U S. :wink:
That doesn't mean anything as there are lots of people all over the world living in countries other than the one they were born/brought up in.

Many native Spanish speakers live in the US, native English speakers live in France, Spain, Italy etc etc
rana

Post by rana »

I am a native French speaker living in Italy, so I should have thought about it, you are probably right, this person might not have been at ease with English. Still, the inquiry was a little bit plain. No hello nor olà , no please, no thank you... it sort of put me off and my answer showed it. Just as clear and plain as the question.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

rana wrote: Still, the inquiry was a little bit plain. No hello nor olà , no please, no thank you... it sort of put me off and my answer showed it. Just as clear and plain as the question.
I see your point but unfortunately you have now behaved in the very way that offended you.

As my mother would say "2 wrongs don't make a right"!