Do you answer two-word enquiries?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

..... and the moral of the story is "the shorter the enquiry, the longer the answer".

If it's a two word enquiry, make sure that they get at least two paragraphs in return 8) .

But I do sympathise with your reply, Rana. It's the same when you advertise your cottage as accepting no pets and you get the enquiry where they say "we've just one small well behaved dog". I always have to bite my lip, otherwise I would reply by saying "they always bl***y well are".

Have a good season.
paolo

Post by paolo »

rana wrote:According to the I.P., the inquiry came from the U S, so I assumed they could speak English.
I think that all AOL users show up as American because that is where AOL is based, and perhaps hotmail.com, yahoo.com, etc. So IP is not always a reliable guide to where someone is emailing from.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
rana

Post by rana »

Hi, it was a verizon account. I thought that only American use verizon. Am I right?
Anyway, you are right LaLuz, I should have answered more politely. I must have been in a bad mood that day because it was the first and only time that I behaved this way; I remember that I had mixed feeling afterwards: satisfied revenge and remorse and feeling stupid :?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Don't worrry Rana - we all have to bite the keyboard sometimes!!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
cromercrabholiday

Post by cromercrabholiday »

Christine Kenyon wrote: But I do sympathise with your reply, Rana. It's the same when you advertise your cottage as accepting no pets and you get the enquiry where they say "we've just one small well behaved dog". I always have to bite my lip, otherwise I would reply by saying "they always bl***y well are".

Have a good season.
I'm still waiting for the enquiry that says "we have two large aggressive dogs - they enjoy biting people and trashing houses."

We blame allergy issues for not taking any pets. This is good 'cos it doesn't matter how small and well-behaved they are, they can still leave fur that starts up problems. We are sure that one of our guests must have a fur allergy!

John
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We do the same re allergies. Mind you, we know people who don't accept animals but have a dog of their own with the run of the house!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Perhaps they don't accept other dogs stemming from concerns regarding a potential clash of temperaments?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

GG, that could be true if they live on site, not all dogs are sociable with others. I think we've discussed on many occasions the ins and outs of allowing pets. I take my dog to my apartment, only one family has asked about pets because they were concerned about animal hair lying around and they had young children. So far, there has only been our own animal staying there and we were able to re-assure them that the place was hair free. I always make sure it is before we leave. For anyone with pet hair problems, a rubber broom works wonders.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

I don't accept pets because of genuine allergy problems.

My brother can tell within 10 minutes of walking into a place if there has been a dog there, whether or not there are any visible signs.

The tightening in his chest and the onset of a asthma attack usually gives the game away. It also looks as though his young daughter is going to have similar problems!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

That was what I meant about not allowing animals but the owners having one. Guests might reasonably assume that 'no animals' means no animals in the house.

If I go for a no smoking apartment I would assume that the owners/cleaners would not smoke in there between lets, for example.
LaLuz

Post by LaLuz »

I do agree with you Margaret, it's actually caused him severe problems on more than one occasion.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I agree 100% - it behoves the owner to declare the presence of any tame critters at his property for just such people. We have little control over wild ones unfortunately!
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

If I go for a no smoking apartment I would assume that the owners/cleaners would not smoke in there between lets, for example.
Yes, I'm a good girl and only smoke on our balcony, it would seem daft to say 'no smoking' and then do it myself risking any lingering effects for future guests. That said, I obviously can't guarrantee that all guests will be as curteous but fingers crossed, no problems so far :lol:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
olive

Post by olive »

Jane, I feel behooved to respond.

I can't think of many 4-word phrases which are so esoteric as to be found only 3 times in a google search (the phrase, not the word, of course).
I guess it's because you're a goat. A well-hooved one.
Bohinj Badger

Post by Bohinj Badger »

Hi there,

I would reply as it only takes a few minutes to reply and you never know what happens. Sometimes people's attention wanders whilst they are on the computer....

We had an enquiry last September for 'Aug: 2 adults and 18 children' and I thought it could be a waste of time as we can sleep 8 max. I replied back with our details but asked if the family really was 18 people and did not expect anything more. But lo and behold! I got an apology back saying no it was a typo (and they couldn't afford to have 18 children....!!!). Subsequently this became a one week booking!

So if it does not take too much time, i would reply as you never know!

BB