Web Site almost finished at last - any comments appreciated!

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
saramar

Web Site almost finished at last - any comments appreciated!

Post by saramar »

Would really like to hear any views on our web site now that it is nearly finished. Any comments greatly appreciated as there always seems to be plenty of room for improvement!!!!
Many thanks
Sarah and Mark
www.thehideaway.eu
remote

Post by remote »

I'd like to stay! Looks lovely. Only thing that was a problem was that when I clicked on the first pic in the bandb( think it was that one) I couldn't get back to the main site as my back key was grey, if you see what I means. One other thing - I'd have liked to see the rooms in sunlight and some more pics of the outside space around the house.
Well done
A turkey is not just for Christmas
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

NIce website! Beautifully presented, clean and professional looking. Couldn't find any prices though or availability. It also wasn't too clear where the place was except somewhere in Italy.
cottageguru

Post by cottageguru »

Hi

The colours are great - pictures are very inviting, but there were a few navigational issues for me.

The text down the left hand menu bar has hyperlinks but they all point to the same page. For example, I was interested in skiing and beaches within easy reach, but when I clicked on it I was taken to the 'Your Rooms' page, when I expected to see how far the beaches and skiing was, and where they were.

I tend to use the back button when surfing and this has been disabled throughout the site. Remote mentioned this too.

Rates and availability were missing, as was an upfront description of where the property is. I've never heard of Le Marche so thought it must be in France, till I got deeper into the site.

The text on the home page might benefit from some better spacing - it seems a bit cramped and dense.

Will you be having a more detailed description of the self catering apartment and what is included in it? That would be useful.

I'd love to visit this area, but the site left me feeling there was much more to be told. I expect you have plenty more to add anyway.

Great start to your site and good luck.
Heather

Vacation Rental Success Podcast
www.cottageblogger.com
www.twitter.com/cottageguru
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I also thought it was in France but it does say Italy on the home page so was not going to admit being so unobservant :oops:
Adam Apple

Post by Adam Apple »

I tried to look at your site using the internet in a Spanish library, and I didn't get to see anything other than a large square on a yellow background.

I think it would be a good idea if you gave users the option of viewing your site without Flash.
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi,

Nice website.
I like the photos and all the local info is good. And it seems very clear when you go looking for rates etc.

Just one little thing - you're missing a question mark at the end of the first sentence on the home page... :)

Hope it brings in the punters!
Lounging on the lily pad...
saramar

Thankyou

Post by saramar »

Many thanks to everyone who has commented so far - really good to know what you think about the site. Its interesting to find out that certain things don't work on certain computers. We would like to reply to you individually but short of time today, so as soon as possible will do so. Thanks again, Sarah and Mark
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

firstly, it really looks beautiful! great quality photos!
the only thing that bothered me is it took a bit of navigating to find your rates - that is always the verey first thing I like to know! I would probably think of changing the page title to say your rooms and RATEs ;-) and make it easy for people. only other thing...when I went to see your availability, my pop-up blocker blocked it...and then I had to disable it...and then, it didn't pop up still...and I'm sure I could make it if I spent a few moments...but...still something that, as a guest, I'd want to be able to view righht away without fussing.
skimottaret

Re: Web Site almost finished at last - any comments apprecia

Post by skimottaret »

good looking professional site but does come across as owner operated which is great.

could'nt tell where you are! and pricing not readily apparent though
saramar

Post by saramar »

Thanks everyone for your help. Have now put the prices in a more prominant position and hope this is more clear.

We seem to have a lot of viewings of the site and hopefully the addition of our new pool this week will help with bookings!

Appreciate all your good advice.

Sarah
HenryG

Post by HenryG »

At a first glance your website appears beautiful, but I am old school and I was taught:
  • * Avoid Flash
    * Avoid Frames
for many many reasons.
saramar

Post by saramar »

Henry,

Thanks for your reply - can you explain a little please - I built the website but didn't know about flash etc, so can you tell me what you mean.

Sarah
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Sarah and Mark

It's a well thought out website, in an attractive shade of green which works very well.

I found the print far too small on a couple of pages and I didn't bother to read any of the script. I didn't want to strain my eyes, so prospective clients won't either.

One of your nicest photos was hidden on your enquiry form, I would repeat it else where too, but almost none of your photos enlarge and photos sell. Someone is a dab hand with the camera.

I think you have done a grand job, maps, enquiry form, nice photos.

Chianti
HenryG

Post by HenryG »

Hi Sarah

About Flash

Some of the reasons why a Flash-only site is often considered bad are:

Usability issues like: the Back Button doesn't work
Accessibility issues like: enlarging font-sizes doesn't work

You do have an alternative version non-Flash, and that is very helpful.

About Frames

For maximum effect all your content should be placed on one domain only: thehideaway.eu
Otherwise you introduce other usability, accessibility, and search-engine issues.

You do have a very beautiful website - the good news is that you can empower it further.