Terri Benson

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
roxytoo

Terri Benson

Post by roxytoo »

Had this one in today!

Good day Sir/Madam,

I am Dr. Terri Benson of Regan Agency, based in London, UK. I need to
book reservation with you for delegates from London coming for a
Christian summit. I need to know if there are free spaces for their
accommodation. They would be 2 couples in Number and they would stay
for 45 days starting from the 15th of May to 30th June 2005. I'll like
to view your brochure also if you have, to enable me see what you have
to offer. Do get back to me quickly, as we don't have much time in our
hands.

Endavour to give me a run down cost for the period. Outline the
charges one by one and finally, sum the total. This would assist us
conclude the booking on time.

Thank you and have a nice day. Yours faithfully,

Dr. Terri Benson
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

I know I've been out of the country now for a while, but hasn't the English language deteriorated!

C-A :lol:
rich_sipe

Post by rich_sipe »

I sometimes wish i had more time in my hands :lol:
tansy

Post by tansy »

is this what we are reduced to....every scam email copied on to the forum....I thought we were a bit 'different' and left this aspect to the other forums :(

I know I have been gently criticised for bringing up politics & religion when I mentioned Charles & Camilla last week....but I did feel it was slightly more interesting than repeating the scam emailers....over to you guys...either I am the bad guy or others will agree?
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

sorry Tansy but thought that this thread was specifically to 'Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think'

Thought I may be warning others by letting people know of the ones I recieve

If you think it's boring don't read it :lol:
charles

Post by charles »

...when I mentioned Charles & Camilla last week
what did I do that was worth mentioning? :shock:

Charles

Post by paolo »

Hi Tansy,

Meishka said it! This part of the forum is either for warning others or checking if you're not sure that you are being scammed.

You may find these emails transparently obvious, most people do, but not everyone. If they did, the scammers wouldn't bother.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Tansy,

I don't mind this new section -- at least it's in its own section so that the rest of the forum doesn't get cluttered with it!

I just read it for laughs. :)
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

...and that's also why it was added - to keep them out of the rest of the forum.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
oskar

Post by oskar »

Sorry, Meishka, but I´ve got to agree.

There are some incredibly naive people out there, who need to be shown that these things are scams. I think this section of the forum is very important.
tansy

Post by tansy »

OK - accepted - I was thinking along the lines of chain mail - ignore!...but can anyone answer me this - why do I not get any scammers through from holiday-rentals.com or VRBO.com
- I've had one / maybe 2 trying it on from free sites. (I'm on 2 free sites)

Is is the tracing on the big sites that stops them...also when I get my website up & running will I then have increased traffic from these saddo's?
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Tansy,

I've had no scam inquiries straight from my site. I think holiday property listing sites are probably better for the volume these people need to work in. They can't spend time looking for individual sites.

I have no idea why the lack of them from VRBO and H-R. Sorry :) but that is curious.
Brooke
Mimmsy

All scams should be mentioned

Post by Mimmsy »

This is my first time posting to the forum.

I have spent hours looking through the scams on the site since I have had so many that it seriously affecting my business. I am surprised to note that anyone would feel its wasting their time to read this section. My advice is don't read it if you don't want to!

In the last 2 months I have had so many scams come in that its gone beyond a joke.

One person actually sent me a 7k UK cheque which I immedietely identified as scam. Who would send you 7k that you had not even requested without even adding a covering letter . I did a search on the company house database got the companies no (they were legitimate) and phoned them up. I spoke to a guy in accounts who said yes it was a scam and asked me to send the cheque back to the company. I asked him to send me a fax with his information first which he did not bother to do. Now what would you make of all that?

I have had countless christian summits scams, now the first one I received looked 90% a scam so I though let me go along with it. This guy wanted me to book hotels for 10 people and cars and also buy him a couple of laptops. I really do think they are living in their own world. He wanted to send me more than the amount of course. When I asked him the names of the people attending so that I could book in their names he would not give me the name of the delegates as he called them. :D

At this moment in time I have 4 suspect scams in my mailbox to which I gave an initial reply as I thought they were 50-50 to which I need to give replies today. Under normal circumstances I would have replied to these people immediately but I am in a quandry as to what I should say to them?

I usually ignore scams that I recognise as such but I am receiving so many that it is becoming very time consuming and of course my business is suffering as I may be turning away business after all not everyone has a good command of the English language. I have requests from all over the world. For example I received a booking from someone in Italy last month who I almost did not reply to. He turned out to be genuine and booked 2 weeks in July. I only realised that he was genuine after I got a call from the Cyprus Tourist Organisation in Milan whom he had contacted to check something out about me.

I have had my website up and running for over 11 years now so you can imagine how many places I am advertising and how open I am to this sort of thing!

Any comments and advise would be appreciated!

PS sorry for posting such a long message