How to get special keyboard characters like ©

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Fraise

How to get special keyboard characters like ©

Post by Fraise »

simply by putting
© [your name]
at the bottom of the page.

Paolo,how did you make that symbol?

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise,

© is a unicode character. It is probably not on your keyboard but to display it:-
  • 1. put your cursor where you want the character to appear
    2. make sure that Num Lock is on
    3. press down and hold down your ALT key and using your numeric keypad type 0169, then release the ALT key.
© should now appear like magic.

In Windows you can get lots of unusual characters by going to Accessories/SystemTools/Character Map. There you will be able to find the ALT **** shortcut for the characters you want to use.

As an alternative, using Character Map you can Copy and Paste the character you want.

Hope that helps.

Alan
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

For anyone wanting this in MS Word too the symbol is in as autotext entry by doing (c) and this then automatically jumps into the full copyright sign...

There's others too if you look around or of course you can create your own keyboard shortcuts for any of the symbols, scissors, phone icon etc real easily..

Sue - the expert Word user! :)
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

For anyone wanting this in MS Word too the symbol is in as autotext entry by doing (c) and this then automatically jumps into the full copyright sign...

There's others too if you look around or of course you can create your own keyboard shortcuts for any of the symbols, scissors, phone icon etc real easily..

Sue - the expert Word user! :)
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Soo,

There seems to be a bit of an echo on the line :D
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Alan Knighting wrote:Fraise,

© is a unicode character. It is probably not on your keyboard but to display it:-
  • 1. put your cursor where you want the character to appear
    2. make sure that Num Lock is on
    3. press down and hold down your ALT key and using your numeric keypad type 0169, then release the ALT key.
© should now appear like magic.

Hope that helps.
Ooooh,a new skill- how exciting- it works!!
www.thepetitmanoir. © :wink:
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

In HTML the way to make it appear is the code '& #169 ;' without spaces between the characters -- if you paste that into your HTML code the copyright symbol © will appear on your page in place of the code. My laptop doesn't have a numeric keypad :) so this has always worked for me.

On the subject of useful local information, I describe details about the town and about local sights, but not details that could easily be copied, e.g., driving directions or telephone numbers. Once a client has booked with us and made the final payment, we send an information packet that has all the information. Typically, they print it and bring it along with them.

It has always been my hope that this strikes the right balance between providing information useful to people and keeping the rights to that information.
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

This feature of MS Word is referred to as AutoCorrect. Word comes with a large number of AutoCorrect items built in but the user can add to them, change them or indeed delete them at will. Go to Tools/AutoCorrect options. This is a very powerful feature of Word and can be used for the automatic insertion of all sorts of things. It is not limited to text, you can also have graphics inserted automatically.

Taking © as an example, AutoCorrect can be a bit frustrating if what you want is (c) and not ©. My way of achieving that is to type the open round bracket, the c and the close round bracket, followed immediately by Backspace.

Sue, as our resident expert Word user, can you confirm that this is the accepted way or is there a different and/or better way?

Alan
willemijn

Post by willemijn »

this is interesting if somebody know how to stop the autocorrect feature. I have disabled everything, but it still always corrects things I do not want.

I have given up a long time ago, but now I have new hope somebody knows more about this.
Willemijn Lindeboom
www.villainumbria.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Oh, yes, you can definitely turn AutoCorrect off!

If I remember correctly, though, it's a little tricky to get to. I would try the Format menu and then see if there's a menu option like "AutoCorrect" or "AutoFormat" or something similar. After that it might be under an "Advanced" or "Options" button.

Sorry that I can't be more helpful... I haven't used Word in months! :)
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Oh, yes, you can definitely turn AutoCorrect off!
To do so go to Tools/AutoCorrect Options. Click the Auto Correct Tab and unclick the box for "Replace text as you type". That'll do it.
tansy

Post by tansy »

....but have you all got the Euro ...I did hear that quite a few problems came about with that symbol? How true that is I don't know.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I found the € symbol once (In Word, I used the Insert | Symbol menu choice) and have been copy-pasting it ever since! And when it's not available I just use 'E' instead.

On some web pages you can create it by using '€', but that doesn't work everywhere. I think the official ASCII character code is '& #8364 ;' (without the spaces). Not that I'll ever remember that! :)
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Brooke,

The euro monetary symbol is Alt 0128. It should also work for Linux as it is simply a Unicode value.

Actually it is an extended ASCII code but that doesn't matter. ASCII codes have now been incorporated into Unicode which is a much larger table, representing 65,536 characters instead of the 128 of ASCII or 256 of extended ASCII.

Many Windows users will have fairly modern keyboards. For them the Euro symbol € is Alt Gr+4 - press and hold down the Alt Gr key, press 4 and release the Alt Gr key.

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Alan,

Thank you! 0128 is so much easier to remember! And, naturally, you're the master at Windows. :)
Brooke