Holiday Homes in Hell (British TV programme)

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Adam Apple

Holiday Homes in Hell (British TV programme)

Post by Adam Apple »

Did anyone see Holiday Homes in Hell on ITV last night? It featured the Priors in Almeria province, who were made what seemed like a scapegoat for all the illegal building on the Costas. Despite doing nothing wrong, they have had their dream retirement home in Vera bulldozed by the authorities and they are now left with nothing. A very sorry state of affairs.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I did see it....and I have to say my heart went out to them, and also the couple in France - what bizarre situations.

If I win the lottery at the weekend they're are the first on my list to help.
I can't imagine how they must be feeling living in that caravan steps away from where their beautiful house stood.

Although I'm not xenophobic...they were definitely chosen to be made an example and I wonder if that situation would have occured had they been Spanish.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Vera

Post by Vera »

The Priors are good friends and neighbours of ours and I will pass on peoples kind thoughts.

There were 5 demolitions in Cordoba last year, all Spanish owned and there are 5 more demolitions on hold in Vera, 4 of which are Spanish families, so not anti brit.
The problem here is political, local authorities have given out 1000's of illegal licences and Vera was targeted because the Mayor is a different party, P.A. to the junta, PSOE. This week a local Mayor has been arrested in Zurgena again P.A. party.
Other towns with much larger problems than Vera have PSOE Mayors and have yet to be troubled although there are known to be lot of builds without paperwork.

The government also has a plan to clear all housing within 100 metres of the coastline!

Vera
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Good to hear in one respect that Spanish people are also affected, the advantage of that is that it at least gets a decent level of interest from the media. A very unhappy situation for all tho'.

We have just got PSOE in power here and it seems things have turned for the better on building licences in so much that they've put a freeze on all planning applications until they have re-classified the land.
There are many illegal builds here but none have ever been bulldosed.

I wish them the best in their fight for justice.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
brenda

Post by brenda »

There are many properties here too whose papework seemed legal but are now being questioned - all granted licences on what was meant to be rural land in the past 10 years by the governing PSOE party.

The Junta de Andalucia in Malaga has now stepped in and each property is being vetted - Thank God we got through OK. Several people we know of - Brit and Spanish - have been issued with Court summonses but no demolitions yet.

Our local Mayor is now being investigated and is apparently due to go to Court to face ´enquiries´about his granting of unlawful licences.

Our local area has recently formed a Pressure Group - SOHA ´Save our Homes in Axarquìa - to take the matter to the E.U. if necessary; membership is both Brit and Spanish on about a 70% 30% split.

Fingers crossed things get sorted for everyone soon and we wish the Priors, and anyone else affected, all the luck in the World.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Vera

I didn't see the programme but I'm aware of the problems suffered by your friends the Priors. Please pass on my sympathies and tell them that many, many people hope that their situation will be resolved

Chianti
Vera

Post by Vera »

Thanks Chianti, I've passed it on and also PM'd you.

For anyone local to us in Almeria there will be a meeting to highlight these problems and to help people who may be in a similar position, it will be in Mojacar on May 3rd please PM me if you want any more info, all are welcome to attend and we hope to set up a fund to help the Priors with their legal fees.

On a personal note these people have been incredibly brave and are now living in their converted garage and utility room that were built on a seperate licence and deemed to be legal, it is total madness and heart breaking to see every day.
Vera

Post by Vera »

It is nearly a year since the Prior's home was illegally demolished and they are still living in their garage awaiting someone to admit blame and pay compensation.

There will be a demonstration next month outside the regional government in Almeria.

You can read an excellent account of their tragic story here. It makes all our little gripes seem insignificant.

http://www.almanzora-au.org/The_Priors.htm
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I saw the story featured on TV soon after the demolition. I was heartbroken and frustrated for them then - and now. It's hard to understand why this terrible injustice has not yet been resolved.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Adam Apple

Post by Adam Apple »

On the subject of demolishing 'illegal' homes, there was an interesting letter in a recent addition of 'The Olive Press'. Read it online at http://www.theolivepress.es/2008/12/05/dear-senor-chaves/
Adam Apple

Post by Adam Apple »

There will also be a protest march in Almeria city on the 9th January - the first anniversary of the demolition of the Priors' property. Read about it at www.aulan.es
Vera

Post by Vera »

New Homes from Hell 2009 – Buying Abroad is due to be on Tuesday 17th March 2009 on ITV1 at 8pm.
This programme will be repeated on ITV2 the following day at the same time'.

It will feature an update on the Prior's and a report on the demonstration in Almeria amongst other items.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks Vera - will watch.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
brenda

Post by brenda »

Tonights programme also contains a slot about people we know with the Neighbours from Hell near Rio Gordo.
Vera

Post by Vera »

Spain has had it's knuckles rapped http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7965912.stm let's hope they take some notice.

They certainly can't afford to lose EU money at the moment.

Locally there are plans for 2 enormous housing/tourist developments and in the middle of it all they demolish the Prior's house.

Explanations on a postcard please to.....