Dishwasher dilemma

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
CostaBlanca

Dishwasher dilemma

Post by CostaBlanca »

I am thinking about installing a dishwasher in the outdoor BBQ/kitchen. However the work surface (although at the correct hight) is deep and the standard sized machine is about 85cm high so I am short of 2 to 3 cms without doing some alternations.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to remove the top (frame) of a dishwasher and whether it is actually required for the functioning of the machine :) Unusual (daft maybe) question..... but it would be better if I didn't have to cut through the tiled work surface.

cheers,
Maria
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My dishwasher has the top removed. As I am smaller than average height, my worktops are lower than normal.
Ju

Post by Ju »

One of mine has the top removed as well. Dishwashers aren't so bad, but washing machines have a lump of concrete in the top to keep them stable, which should only be removed if the machine is then very snug with the worktop and the worktop is very solid so it can't wobble.

I would however be cautious of installing a dishwasher in an outside kitchen. I'm sure it would be fine in summer, but in winter or with very foggy conditions I would be worried.
CostaBlanca

Post by CostaBlanca »

Thanks, at least I know it can be done. Even with the top removed though, it will be still tight.. Need to measure in situ.

Ju, even though the BBQ is roofed, no doubt the dishwasher will not survive as well outdoors as it would inside. Do you mean that it would be dangerous in Winter? The fridge is outside for the past 6 years and it will be replaced next year, spots of rust beginning to show near the edges. I might try and rig up some curtains to give it added protection.

Our main living/kitchen is on upper floor (located on side of a hill) with the BBQ at pool level so it it is a bit of hassle to haul the crockery upstairs/downstairs all the time. I think that this would be a big bonus for guests as the BBQ gets a lot of use during the summer.

Cheers,