VRBO....it's still happening!!

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
tansy

VRBO....it's still happening!!

Post by tansy »

Again it has happened a further 3 times this week - enquiries in from VRBO and no answer - I have sent 4 messages to each enquirer using a different email address...the last message is just a very coutesous request to confirm that have indeed heard from me....ziltch/nothing/rein/

why is this?

A complete & absolute mystery to me - this time the enquiry came in from Brussels today. I couldn't do it as he only wanted 2 nights - but did offer to help find alternative suitable in the area...why do they not even acknowledge me?....I find the whole thing so frustrating - I'd rather not have an enquiry than get hopes up that I could be able to convert it and put the effort in.
paolo

Post by paolo »

A proportion of enquiries come to nothing, that is normal, but are you saying that you get no response from almost all of your vrbo enquiries? If so have you tried ringing up to check if your emails are even getting through?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
tansy

Post by tansy »

That's it....I never ever have had a reply from a VRBO enquiry via email....the only booking I have had was by phone...

I am completely baffled.

As it is the enquiry today from Brussells is for 3 people 2 nights...not my trade - but I have offered to assist - perhaps maisy or someone would like the booking if they have a gap...so would send the enquiry on, once I had qualified it....nothing back.

The other enquiry I had on Friday - that week they requested is booked but I offered the same week in our other house - nothing back.

I don't mind keep ringing the States if it is going to amount to something...but I am it seems just in a dark hole here...I have used different email addresses as i thought our seaside one may be blocked as a scam address - so I have used our everyday address.

I'm thinking now theses enquiries are generated by VRBO to make me think there is activity there!?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tansy,

It might be just another example of the standards which are all too prevalent these days. It is common, it may be normal, but that doesn't make it acceptable.

Alan
reddevil

Post by reddevil »

Alan,

What standards are you referring to? That of a company sending bogus e-mail enquiries or the potential renter not bothering to answer the reply e-mail?
--------------------------------------------------
What would you attempt to do if you knew you would not fail?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

reddevil,

I meant the latter but I guess it could equally apply to the former.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

I'd just like to add that there is no suggestion here that VRBO would send out bogus enquiries. Although I am sure there are sites that do so - the many hundreds who can't make ends meet.

Tansy, I am going to send you an enquiry through VRBO and if you reply as normal I'll email you back.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Tansy,

I sent inquiries from both your properties... so if both mine and Paolo's fail to come through, it's likely that VRBO is having a problem.

That must be so frustrating for you! :(
Brooke
tansy

Post by tansy »

Brooke - both yours have come through this morning....I did check very late last night - have you sent Paolo?....because nothing here as yet....am I detecting a delay so when the enquiry does get here it is cold?

Thay is one thing I am always thanked for - my prompt response!

Thank you both of you... so now I wait!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Tansy,

I sent one to each of your ads on Sunday evening, and I got auto-responder confirmations from vrbo for both.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
tansy

Post by tansy »

Nothing here Paolo....so have we found something? Is there such a delay by the time they get here they are stone cold?

I thought it very odd as I have found the Americans very courteous and good to work with....but I have checked my email 4 times between midnight and now (10 a.m. here)

As earlier - we wait!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tansy,

If you are running Anti-Spam and/or Anti-Junk Mail software you should also check your filter settings - it's a long shot but worth looking into.

There was absolutely no consistency about it but some time ago I found that some messages from a rental site were being dealt with as Normal, others as Spam and others as Junk when they were all Normal. Fortunately I had set my filters to allocate them to separate inboxes so I did recieve them.

On some software it is possible to reject Spam and Junk altogether which means you never even get them and you don't know about them.

Alan
tansy

Post by tansy »

Still nothing guys - now 1 p.m.

Alan - thank you for the idea but I'm not running anti spam filter - I have some very powerful anti virus for the mac on the computer - so we are OK there.

If I want to do anti spam I have the option of going through Wanadoo - check emails there and tell the server what to block.

I just patiently delete as they arrive and keep on top of it that way!

I have had the only booking from VRBO tell me that HER anti spam blocked out our seaview address - so did all communication with her on our everyday email which is just a normal address. So as matter of course I have always replied to VRBO enquiries using 2 different email addresses in case our holiday one was being blocked.

So the plot thickens...
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Tansy,

As you say, the "thot plickens".

Somewhat off thread but, for those members who are not totally satisfied with their paid-for mainstream anti-virus, have you tried AVG from Grisoft. There is a free downloadable version and it works very well indeed. You will find it at:-

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Tansy, I replied to your messages just now... if Paolo's still haven't come through, then I would say there is definitely a problem.

I have a .com e-mail address... I doubt it would matter if Paolo were using a .co.uk or .fr, but there has to be some difference between us that made mine go through right away and his not at all (yet)!
Brooke