VRBO....it's still happening!!

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Looks like they are not prepared to investigate - even talk to me - I've done my very best to explain the problem - even inviting them on 3 occasions to look on this thread to see what everyone is saying but this is what I've had back..I especially like the last line :roll:
Hi Tansy,
thank you for your email response. I am not sure how we can be expected to
be responsible for how potential renter do or do not respond. But I can
certainly understand your frustration at the amount of "wasted" time it
feels you are spending at this.

Have you considered developing a template or canned letter to send out as
your first response to inquiries? Then, once the renter emails you the
second time, you know you are ready to spend more time with them and would
be willing to invest time & energy to more personal answers.

Happy Rentals!
Sandy
webmaster@vrbo.com
paolo

Post by paolo »

Tansy,

There seem to be two separate problems here.

One is that some of your enquiries through vrbo may be getting delayed, as my test ones were.

The other is that once you respond to an enquiry, you never hear back from the enquirer.

On the first one, that is something that vrbo should look at - from what you have posted of your correspondence with vrbo, they haven't addressed this issue - have you raised it with them?

On the second problem I agree with vrbo - they can't be held responsible for how a potential renter responds to your first email. Once you have received the initial enquiry through them, vrbo have done their job and they are out of the equation.

You say that all of your Belgian's emails to you were rejected by you - that sounds like it's something to do with your email program or ISP.

It may just be that in your email you send out there is a word or phrase that is accidentally triggering spam filters, and in particular yours. So when someone replies, including your original message in theirs, the phrase triggers your own filter. Like being hit by your own boomerang. Does that make sense?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Darren

Post by Darren »

If you want to check if the email you are sending is "likely" to get picked up by the spam filters visit this website.

I've not used it for ages, but it's in my favourites and might help you to assess if spam filters is one of your problems.

Darren :)
tansy

Post by tansy »

Paolo - I agree with you on both counts - BTW your originals or sorry your 2nd ones still have not arrived.

I cannot see for the life of me why I get everything answered from h-r.com enquiries and ziltch from vrbo.com - both the same email addresses....I would accept it if it was a matter of a couple of no replies but in excess of 26?

I agree - they can't be held responsible but we go full circle.

Either I have a problem with traffic from USA (but I communicate on a regular basis with folk in the States) or VRBO are not attracting the right sort of enquiries so are dead in the water before they start...so for me VRBO is a disaster area as I cannot bear seeing wasted opportunities - I'd rather have a silent email than loads of false alarms...sorry but that is the way I see it.
paolo

Post by paolo »

I cannot bear seeing wasted opportunities
What I would do is call each enquiry rather than email. Then you will know what sort of prospects vrbo is producing. I think it's unlikely that a good site like vrbo (even if the design is not exactly cutting edge), is attracting hopeless enquiries. My experience is quite the opposite, and although we are in different locations with quite different properties, if the site were being used by time-wasters, that's something I would notice too.

You may not want to call because of the cost, but it would only be for a trial period - once you notice the enquiries turn to bookings, or not, you'll know whether it is a vrbo problem or something like spam filters messing up the emails.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
paolo

Post by paolo »

I cannot bear seeing wasted opportunities
What I would do is call each enquiry rather than email. Then you will know what sort of prospects vrbo is producing. I think it's unlikely that a good site like vrbo (even if the design is not exactly cutting edge), is attracting hopeless enquiries. My epxerience is quite the opposite, and although we are in different locations with quite different properties, if the site were being used by time-wasters, that's something I would notice too.

You may not want to call because of the cost, but it would only be for a trial period - once you notice the enquiries turn to bookings, or not, you'll know whether it is a vrbo problem or something like spam filters messing up the emails.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
debk

Post by debk »

Have you tried looking at VRBO's list of your inquiries? (From their website, on the first page after you login?) It would be interesting to know if both of Paolo's inquiries are in the VRBO database. If so, I'd be leaning towards the idea that your email is blocking/bouncing/etc VRBO messages. And who knows what other messages besides. (eg, from those potential guests that you think are not responding... the same guests that think that YOU are not responding to them. ai, makes the head hurt.)

Personally, I receive good results with VRBO and, like Paolo, if I only used one paid site it would be VRBO. HR.com is fine... but VRBO has a slightly better booking ratio for me.

These problems can be so frustrating. Good luck!
Deb Kleber
Lisbon
VisitingPortugal.com
tansy

Post by tansy »

I'm afraid I got angry with VRBO as they were not helping me try and analyse the problem...I was just getting gushy emails ending in 'happy rentals'...so demanded to be taken off...so they have!!!

I've been re-imbursed with 115$ US for the 1st house on my credit card - (which I find odd as they state they don't keep card details so how can they re-imburse)...they can't re-imburse anything for the 2nd house.

So that is the end of my time with VRBO...not particulary happy but at least I won't have non enquiries now!
annemarie

VRBO

Post by annemarie »

I dont know if this helps, but I have three sites, one listing through BRBO, one through Cyberrentals, and my own website www.condosatthegulf.com. My site is generally only used to refer the cyberrentals and vrbo people to, so they can get more info, but of the two pro listing sites, almost all of my closed bookings have come through cyberrentals. The VRBO people ask a lot of questions, which I answer, and I usually dont hear back from them. Cyberrentals consistently turn into bookings! Odd, isnt it?
BeachRental

Post by BeachRental »

Does anyone know whether VRBO is going to sell out to the big company?
Rent By Owner!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Welcome to the forum, BeachRental! Image

I don't know about that, but if WVR buy up VRBO it will be game, set and match in the English-speaking world.

I doubt that vrbo would sell up unless it was on very preferential terms. They dominate the US market and are still growing fast without the need for acquisitions and mergers.

Incidentally I have just created another ad with vrbo, sent a couple of test enquiries through it, and not received them in my Inbox 24 hours later. Not necessarily their fault, but a continuing problem it seems.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

I just tried to send myself an enquiry and all I got was an error message. These guys have to be kidding ...

VRBO needs to pick up its game or their success will be very short lived.

I have wrote to them. Lets se what they say.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
debk

Post by debk »

... sent a couple of test enquiries through it, and not received them in my Inbox 24 hours later. Not necessarily their fault, but a continuing problem it seems.
Paolo, do the inquiries show up in your VRBO inquiry log? If so, I'll go check mine to make sure I've not missed anything. Thanks much,
debk
paolo

Post by paolo »

debk,

No they don't, although I have received the auto responses acknowledging the enquiries I made. So vrbo has sent the enquirer confirmation of the enquiries, but not passed them on to me the advertiser yet.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Paolo & Debk,

You are not instilling a lot of confidence in the qualities of VRBO with this. I am not one of their advertisiers and it's not a site I like the look of. But, it's results that count. Does it produce enquiries for you?

Alan