old concert programmes

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
gilligan

old concert programmes

Post by gilligan »

ordered the addition of oil of bergamot, a small acidic orange, to his tea To preserve the life of terracotta Firms and Tightens your thighs, legs and butt
parent were selected and backcrossed with sized that in the case of an elongated develop amyloid plaques, but neurodegen
This, to me at least, is compulsive viewing and a damning indictment of the country we live in This is the most viewed video in THE ENTIRE WORLD today It's a political address to Gordon Brown yester
I'd take storyline and good acting over mind blowing graphics any day. It's very rare that the two are combined that succesfully imo. Each to their own, but I definitely feel there's a difference
Last edited by gilligan on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

It all depends how the enquiries come to you. I am on some sites where a 'general enquiry' goes to all advertisers. I answer about 10 a day (only ones I have availability for) and take about 2 bookings a month. That's an exchange of about 1 in 150. :( but for specific enquiries its about 1 in 10.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Your conversion ratio depends largely on how many other properties your potential renter has enquired after, and that in turn depends on where you are and what sort of property you have.

If you have a place in Florida near Disney you will probably have a very low conversion ratio because there is so much competition, and a lot of properties are very similar. Certainly much lower than 1 in 8. I have heard of 1 in 100 in Florida, but that was for a not particularly successful house.

If your property is a bit of a rarity, let's say a one-bed house in a well-known medieval village in France or Italy, you should have a high conversion ratio.

However, all things being equal, there are things you can do to improve your chances of being booked instead of binned.

See my article on responding to your enquiries here:
http://www.laymyhat.com/newsletters/new ... 3.htm#tips

Your response to an enquiry is your first communication, so that's when you have to make it happen. Perhaps the most important thing is to be friendly. As the terrible saying puts it, 'A smile goes a long way'. :D
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Once I've replied to an enquiry by email, I tend to send a "chase up" email about 2-3 days later if I've heard nothing. It tends to be short and informal - something along the lines of "I hope you received our email. Our cottage is still available. Let us know if you need any more info." It sometimes gets a booking or (equally important) the reason why they haven't booked our cottage.

Hope this helps.

Christine
www.stybarrowcottage.co.uk
paolo

Post by paolo »

And the other thing that apparently works really well is emailing, followed up very soon after with a phone call. You'll be calling at a time when they have gathered all the evidence and are considering their decision, so a good time to make an impression.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
gilligan

Post by gilligan »

I haven't tried calling and it sounds like that's something worth trying. Thanks and I'll let you know if things pick up.
BungleBob

Don't forget the telephone

Post by BungleBob »

Although most owners with busy lives can't always do this, we're friendly with an agent in Lanzarote who decided NOT to answer e-mail enquiries...

Instead, he had one of his staff call the enquirer back, normally within 30 minutes of getting the e-mail enquiry.

He says his enquiry/booking ratio doubled.

Something to think about?
Richard Speigal, Editor, España Breaks
altyfc

Post by altyfc »

ChrisR wrote:I am on some sites where a 'general enquiry' goes to all advertisers.
This sounds highly inefficient to me. Have you asked them why they do that. If they changed things, you might get far fewer enquiries but they'd be of a much better quality and thus be less likely to use up your time unnecessarily.

Aaron
tansy

Post by tansy »

I've also noticed, gilligan, that manners seem to be lacking re replies..I always answer within hours - I check my email at least 3 times a day - but interestingly quite a few disappear into the black hole...I think what is happening is potential guests are choosing lots of properties and then splattering emails to the owners - then can't be bothered to let us know - they are sorted out so why bother!

I had someone enquire the other day for this half term....sounded genuine - so on the strength of the enquiry I organised cleaners etc...forunately a couple of hours before I went over to turn the heating on, make up the beds and air the place I sent a chase up email - I'm still waiting to hear what time they arrive today... 4 days later - they just disappeared (dodgy phone number as well)!

I chase up if I have another enquiry for same dates or for peak periods (I check enquiries for peak times & if I haven't heard from them for a while I'll send a email along the lines we are getting a lot of enquiries for the period you requested please note we operate a first come first serve basis - that does seem to convert quite a few), or like this instance a last minute situation.

But yes some do just disappear...it's not you - it's a number game!!
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Personally I think follow up phone calls and e-mail feels like you are hassling them into a booking. If indeed it works, I think the chance of cancellation is high and then you have less time to sell those weeks.
Cheers
PC
sleekitbeastie

Post by sleekitbeastie »

Paul Carmel wrote:Personally I think follow up phone calls and e-mail feels like you are hassling them into a booking. If indeed it works, I think the chance of cancellation is high and then you have less time to sell those weeks.
I completely agree. I know then I often make enquiries about something in which I might be interested. My interest fades rapidly if I then receive uncalled for follow-ups. One call could be reasonable customer/prospect management, more than that is, for me, intrusive.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

sleekitbeastie,

I fundamentally disagree. I am supplying a very personal service, a holiday home, not pots & pans or nuts & bolts. I think, if someone makes an enquiry they require, and are entitled to, a rapid response - not silence. They have seen the brochure or the website and they want further information. An enquiry is by definition a question of some sort. It may be only to confirm availability but it calls for an answer.

In making the initial contact with an enquirier I have never had a negative reation and I have never been told I am being intrusive. On the contrary, I have always been thanked for responding so quickly with the required information. On the odd occasion when I have not responded quickly I have been told that they went elsewhere because they had heard nothing from me.

It is a case of "swings and roundabouts" isn't it? If one approach works for you then stick with it. I will continue with the courtesy of replying to enquiries quickly.

Alan
sleekitbeastie

Post by sleekitbeastie »

Alan,

I think perhaps you have misread the previous postings. I refer explicitly to follow-up calls not to the original answer. I also allow that one follow-up could be good customer management. I'm not quite as stupid as you suggest and I too answer queries - I wouldn't get any business else. However I do not make a series of follow-up calls. It is that which I believe to be intrusive and that is what my post said.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

sleekitbeastie,

Oops! I seem to have ruffled your feathers, I didn't mean to. If I thought you were stupid, which I do not, I would say so.

I respond once as soon as possible but do not pester people thereafter. It seems you do the same.

Alan
sleekitbeastie

Post by sleekitbeastie »

Alan,

not ruffled feathers, just mild exasperation that somebody shouts in contradiction to a posting which they clearly haven't read and, in so doing, feel the need to explain to me that an enquiry is...well, an enquiry. I got 8% in Latin not English - my marks there were in double figures. Seemingly you do actually agree so enough said.