Enquiry for 9-month let, scam or not, do we want it?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
KathyG

Enquiry for 9-month let, scam or not, do we want it?

Post by KathyG »

Received this today, nothing shouts scam particularly and it's a wanadoo.fr email address with a French phone number.

Even if it's genuine I'm not sure we want it, what do you all think?

Hello, I am seeking a luxury rental for an American
client (4 adults) from mid September until June 2009.
House hunters. Do you have availability, and if so,
what would be the monthly rate in euros plus extra
costs.
Must have high speed internet.
kind regards
Rosemary
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Katie

Looks bloody good to me, I would say go for it!!!!

Chianti
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

That's what my OH said Chianti! :lol:

However I know there are/can be problems with long lets in France, i.e 3 year minimum lease but would that only apply to French residents? Where's Alan? :D

I've no idea how to go about sorting this out, how much to charge, do all bills have to then be in their name?
Kathy
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Katie

All I can tell you is that in France, French law would apply. What I suggest is that you get 'round to the local estate agents' offices and get a price from similar properties.

I would get back to them and tell them your interested but you need to do some research as you only normally let short-term. A long let during this period of economic turmoil might be useful. There's no doubt you will need a solicitor to provide, hopefully a standard contract. Ask around, certainly here long rentals are very common.

Can't help with the other details.

Good luck

Chianti
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Even if it is genuine, they won't expect to be paying your normal peak rates Kathy, will they? How many weeks do you normally rent for in summer? And won't you miss visiting?
cc

Post by cc »

Sounds like an agent looking for commission to me as it is looking for acccommodation for a client and not themselves. I wonder if they will either bargain hard for a reduced rate which they won't pass on to the client or ask you for a cut of the rent.
You don't have to write something on every thread, do you?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

CC's right, that's what it looks like to me too.

I tried to find Alan's posts on long lets; there were some but not the ones I was hoping to find, so if he's missed this thread, why not PM him as I thought I read somewhere that the legal position changes if you let for longer than 6 months.

Do your sums carefully as if you're able to let successfully in September and June for example at a good weekly (holiday) rental rate, there mightn't be much additional profit to be made. Much depends on the position re security of tenure for that length of time though, as you would definitely not want them outstaying their welcome and into July and August!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Well done girls, I forgot all about the agent, of course that's what it is. I wonder now, how much profit will be in it for Katie, especially if she can't find a standard rental contract and legal costs are involved, but those could be passed onto the client.

Good luck

Chianti
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

We often let in September/June so would lose out on those per-week lets I suppose but that would be more than made up for with a 9-month drip I expect. This is what they responded to my email saying we needed time to think about whether we even wanted to take them on and did they realise the house sleeps 12.

"Thanks for your email. The clients are two couples who all work from home so need office space!
They are in the financial markets. Want to leave the USA and buy a house near the coast since they are avid boaters and also live in the Pacific Northwest of the USA which has a climate like Brittany!
Mid life years and used to living in a very beautiful location and gorgeous house. Hence, they would like to rent something very up market. they do need highspeed internet.
If you can give me a price per month plus any extra costs... I can pass this along with your information etc.

They would pay 3 months up front and then each month. Of course they can give bank references too.

Regards
Rosemary"

I'm rather flattered that they think our house might be upmarket :wink:
Kathy
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Katie

Your property is up-market. This sounds interesting. Just a word of warning, be careful of taking on a let if it's a company one, which this doesn't sound like. I would say go for it, with a minimum booking of so many months, whatever suits you best.

I imagine that they are paying the agent do make the searches so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Good luck

Chianti
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Giddy Goat wrote:I tried to find Alan's posts on long lets; there were some but not the ones I was hoping to find, so if he's missed this thread, why not PM him as I thought I read somewhere that the legal position changes if you let for longer than 6 months.
I'm in the UK at the moment but will post in this thread on my return next week.

Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks Alan - meeting new grandson I take it! :)
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

In the US, it is common practice to do a credit check, as well as verify employment, salary and references for a long-term let. I would NEVER, ever, rent long-term without doing so (and have gotten a bit burned before in the past with long-term renters even with doing so). Americans would not be offended in any way nor find it odd of you to check up on them as much as possible (or ask the estate agent to do so for you before considering their application - find a good rental application form and lease - I would not use just my HR booking terms).

I do not know the French law one bit - but, I do know that, in Italy, Americans do not have many rights as tenant...in comparison, to Italian renters that DO and I could have a really, really, tough time ever getting rid of should they just decide to stay on forever and trash my home and never pay.

Just on a personal note, I was getting very good money renting a home long-term (much more than I can most likely make as a HR actually) and have stopped doing so recently. Long-term tenants come with all sorts of legal rights and other issues (in my case, the extra damage to my home just made it very stressful).

Just make sure you look into it (and them) thoroughly before making a choice! There are pros and cons to both :-)
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Giddy Goat wrote:Thanks Alan - meeting new grandson I take it! :)
Jane,

You got it in one except she is a grand-daughter.

Alan
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Alan Knighting wrote:You got it in one except she is a grand-daughter.
Oops - goat moment Alan - I remember now - Aimee!