Enquiry for 9-month let, scam or not, do we want it?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Hi Kathy
I looked into longer term leases for our french Gite sometime last year. I can't remember the cut-off point at which the rules change, so I won't guess here, suffice to say that under french law tenants do have strong rights and can take quite a while to evict if things do go wrong.
I'm nodding off now, it's a bit late, but I will see what I can dig out for you tomorrow evening, unless someone else here beats me to it.
In the meantime, you might unearth something by googling the subject.
Ray
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thanks all of you for your advice, have given them a monthly rate now and will get them to pay for absolutely anything else I can think of. Will probably all just go quiet now though.. :roll:

I think the 2 main concerns are getting rid of them at the end of the rental period (that's a biggie) and wear and tear on the house.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Katie

My guess is you will be alright with these people if their references are good. The rent should reflect an amount for wear and tear and re-painting which is normal between long lets. If they sign a contract which covers damages then they will have to pay for that too.

Read the thread on the long term rental of the Brighton flat for general good advice. A2 is the expert and much of her advice could be applied to any location, although in that case it's about the regs in England.

Good luck

Chianti
paolo

Post by paolo »

In France anything under 6 months can be a holiday let, 6 months or more is considered a long-term let and subject to different laws. It is harder to shift people who don't want to leave at the end of a long-term let. I would explain this and ask for two lets, one of three months and a day, the second of 6 months minus a day. As they are prepared to pay the 3 months up front this should not be a problem. But I would get them to pay the rent from then on two months ahead. So if they leave in April you still have a chance of booking June.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Damn brilliant idea Paolo thanks! I thought it was anything over 3 months that was considered a long let though? The clients are being sent our info this weekend so we'll see what happens......

Thanks Chianti, I'll go and check out A2's thread.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Katie

Paolo's advice sounds good, whether it would work in law is another matter, but I would go for it if everything else seems to be in order.

I would also insure that cleaning is a part of the package and if not, then regular visits/inspections. This should alert you of any problems.

Chianti
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

Kathy
My impression was that it was anything over 3 months also.
I've done a bit of surfing but can't find the specific legislation.

May I suggest you GG 'long term holiday lets in France'
There are several websites there that provide good background info and the legislation will be lurking somewhere.

I really really would research the subject thoroughly before you commit yourself. I know a 9 month solid booking is very tempting, but just make sure you're not stuck with them after that time. My understanding of the french law is that the tenants can be in a very strong position once they're in, unless you have both signed a legally binding tenancy agreement beforehand.

I don't want to be the scaremonger here, I just don't want to see a fellow LMHer come 'unstuck' :)

Bonne chance :wink:
Ray
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Alan Knighting wrote: I'm in the UK at the moment but will post in this thread on my return next week.
He'll straighten you out! :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be