Covering the pool

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Ju

Covering the pool

Post by Ju »

I was wondering what other people - particularly on-site owners - do about covering their pool with the summer cover when the weather is bad.

We cover ours every night and un cover it every morning. We have just paid out 1200 Euros for two new covers so are loath to let the guests cover and uncover it themselves anymore. But the wether isn't really swiming weather at the moment and the heating is struggling if the pool is uncovered.

So this morning we have left both pools covered, and we will uncover them at lunchtime. I've put a note on the fence to say why they are covered.

What does everyone else do? LV have you put the Abri back on?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Ju,

Speaking as an on-site owner I think your new routine of keeping the summer cover on whenever possible is the right one.

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

What bad weather? It's lovely here...
No, it has been pretty bad this week, but the pool has stayed at around 28°c, although the heater seems to be on permanently at the moment to maintain that temperature. The guests have just asked to put the abri back on so that Auntie can swim without getting her hair wet, but it is quite an operation and I've just realised that we put the alarm in at the wrong place, so the abri sections don't fit around it neatly. The rest of the guests are happier without it so they can play their ball games more easily. I'd have no problem with keeping the cover on in bad weather at all, did the guests really do that much damage to the cover? They are only designed to last a couple of years - the first one I had started to shed blue plastic everywhere the third year I used it, just through chlorine damage.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

La Vache wrote:They are only designed to last a couple of years - the first one I had started to shed blue plastic everywhere the third year I used it, just through chlorine damage.
My first summer cover was a quite light-weight thing which looked as though it was made out of parcel bubble-wrap. After three seasons of use it just fell to bits and my pool and terrace looked as though they have been invaded by millions of light blue contact lenses. Never again! I replaced it with a much more substantial triple-layered summer cover – it cost a bomb and weighs a ton but it really works. Another example of “buy cheap, buy twice”?

Alan
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I got my cover from piscines on line, it is much better quality and cheaper than the one I got from the pool shop, only 380€. The pool shop quoted 600€ and the four edges weren't even reinforced on that one. Even so, I don't see it doing more than 3 seasons, where did you get yours Alan?
Anyway, it has been a lovely day here today so the abri is off again (and staying off) and the guests are rolling the bâche on and off as required. I even lmanaged to get the grass cut without annoying the guests today :D
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

La Vache wrote:Even so, I don't see it doing more than 3 seasons, where did you get yours Alan?
To be honest I don't know where it originally came from but having had it for two years I suspect it will have the same sort of life span as a pool liner. I got it second hand from my local supplier. He isn't a big commercial outfit and he only works in my immediate area. I’ll give you his details if you want them.

Alan