Kickback for referrals and bookings with fellow owners?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
cambalala

Post by cambalala »

Giddy Goat wrote:Makes you wonder sometimes why you bother doesn't it!
Agreed!

anyhooo... on a brighter note... I did agree a referral scheme with a few other owners in the resort, purely on an honesty policy which is fine for me. I definitely wont be referring to that other person anymore.
www.cambalala.com - 3D Virtual Tour
Website On: Wordpress.
Booking Software: PIMS) - Yay!
Carow

Post by Carow »

Hi Cambalala - I am a fellow SAfrican who owns a rental in France (I think we have corresponded before on this forum).

I had the same scenario with an american lady who owns a gite in my village - we became "internet" friends when I found her website and asked for her advice on the village, number of tourists, problems encountered etc.

She gave me a headstart this year with many referrals and I offered to give her some kind of compensation i.e a percentage of the bookings she was referring to me.

I also suggested to her that it could work both ways and we could get some kind of thing going between referrals to each other.

She kindly declined the offer (thankfully and we continue to refer each other) - which I honestly think has been a blessing in disguise.

The amount of effort involved in keeping records of what I owe her and she owes me would become an administratrive nightmare. Also, as with the game reserve community and French village community(so similar and yet so different) it's always best to keep on good terms with your close neighbours

I would keep it open and add value by offering the services of your neighbour as a recommendation. But don't add any compensation on either side. You both add value, and boitjie if you can help guests out this year by recommending an alternative, then next year they might come to you!

Caro
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

I also subscribe to the idea of simply referring potential guests to others I know in the area, who offer similar accommodation. Being only our second year, I can't say I've done much of it yet, but other LMHers have referred to me and I see no reason why I shouldn't reciprocate.

Keep it simple, is my philosophy. If someone refers to you, you refer back. Far too complicated (and potentially divisive) to be working out commission rates etc and then as pointed out by A2, you could breach the law if you are not very careful.

And if you refer one or two more to them, than you receive in return, well c'est La Vie !

It won't take long for you to figure out if the're not playing ball, will it :wink:
Ray
cambalala

Post by cambalala »

Hey all.
As an update to this saga.
The neighbour finally got back to me and we've agreed to the
kick back scheme. She already got me a probable booking. lol.
funny how things just turn around.

Anyhooo.

Thanks all for the advice again and howzit Carow. ;-)
I hope you spent a little time at your gite in October 2007 when we kicked @ss in the world cup :twisted:
www.cambalala.com - 3D Virtual Tour
Website On: Wordpress.
Booking Software: PIMS) - Yay!
Carow

Post by Carow »

Hi Raymond - I am glad to hear that your neighbour has come to the party and hope it works out well for all of you.

Yes, I was there during the Rugby world cup - we sat in the local bar when South Africa beat England 33 - 0 and had all the locals shouting in Zulu and Afrikaans by the end of the evening.

(My husband is English but pretended to be South African that night) :lol:
Carow