How much extra charge for 25 people in a 3 bedroom house?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
phil_UK

How much extra charge for 25 people in a 3 bedroom house?

Post by phil_UK »

I’ve had a booking request for mid June for 2 nights by a group of US naval officers to host an event for 6 people’s promotion. On the first night there would be 6 people preparing for the event the following evening who would sleep in the house. There would be 25 people for the presentation and speech etc but I’m told after the speech there won’t be more than about 15 people at any one time during the evening as not everyone stays but they must be in attendance for the presentation.

The standard price is 90 GBP per night but should we be charging extra for the additional people to cover extra electricity & water for flushing the toilet etc?
Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this type of request?

Thanks,

Phil
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Sorry, but I think I would be saying no unless you have very spacious grounds, and plenty of toilet facilities. Up to you of course, and if you decide to go ahead, I'd be wanting a large damage deposit as well as an extra charge for the night in question.
tree-peony

Post by tree-peony »

have to agree!! I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole
http://www.gozoluxury.co.uk
actually quite nice apartment in Gozo!
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Me neither :roll:
phil_UK

your post

Post by phil_UK »

Thanks to you all for your advice. As we are just starting out it is tempting but could be a bit risky as you point out.

Helen, we have sufficient space in the garden and house to accommodate the people and 2 toilets which isn’t a lot what figure would you suggest for a damage deposit?

Also, may I ask what would you consider an appropriate extra charge? The basic cost is 90 GBP per night so the booking would be 180 for the 2 nights, for a normal group of 6 people.

Thanks in advance,

Phil
Overboard

Post by Overboard »

I wouldn't go near this one either. We are always being asked similar requests for our Virginia property and there is no way I would consider using the house for any sort of gathering.

If you're considering accommodating these people, throw your standard rates out the window and charge venue fees, thousand plus, otherwise they are seriously taking advantage of you.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

There are a few threads around on LMH about 'gatherings' at rental properties which would certainly make me think twice.
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

wow. how big IS your house? I have a 4 bedroom and I won't let more than 8 stay.

I seriously think you should stick to whatever your occupancy is...I had problems when I firtst started with guests packing it in...I'd agreed to go over by one....and then they brough even one more - just way too much for the little Italy house! (they left it a wreck) I won't do it again.
A-two

Post by A-two »

I agree with the others, the answer would be absolutely not, sorry. The reason why you don't want to do this, apart from the obvious, is that once you start renting out a private home for functions (which this is), then you cross the boundary between private and commercial. If you're just starting out, all the more important that you understand the purpose for which you are renting your home to people, which is for use as a vacation rental. Last time I looked, people on vacation did not host ceremonial presentations for 20 people....so you could well be invalidating your home insurance by agreeing to this...not worth it....don't do it.... :wink:
phil_UK

replies

Post by phil_UK »

Thanks to you all for your advice, however since my last post on Saturday while waiting for feedback I decided to accept this 2 night booking at the rate of 149 GBP per night instead of the usual 90 GBP a night. No deposit will be paid as they are on the ship right now.

I have also stated in the T&C that the security deposit is 150 GBP. If they make a major mess or break anything expensive costing over and above the security deposit amount I’m certain they would pay up any extra without too much fuss.

I am also going to give her (the party leader, who is responsible for the bungalow as she’s booking it) our mobile numbers in case she needs anything and will tell her that we live in the same road so we are able to get there quickly. I think that will make sure they behave, as well as can be expected.

When I told her the price in an email, she replied in her email, quote, “149 GBP is a fair price!” So, am I making a mistake here or what? Surely everything has its price. Is 298 GBP enough for the 2 days or should it be more? As long as I don’t change my mind, lol

Overboard, how much would you say venue fees should be as a matter of interest? Also how did the 60th birthday for the Norwegians go last year? Was it a problem or not? Just curious.

Thanks in advance,

Phil
catherinedonegal

Post by catherinedonegal »

but where will they all sleep?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Catherine, there were only 6 people staying at the house I think, the remainder were only attending a function.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

So they said .... 8)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
goosie

Post by goosie »

I would definitely take a damage deposit - and a large one before you let them in (she says from bitter experience!). I think its good that they have been open with you about what they are planning to do but the potential for 25 drunk sailors to do some unintended damage and certainly a lot of mess is high. Just because they are on a ship doesn't necessarily mean they can't arrange funding transfers to you.

let us know how it goes!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

and from drinking too much to be able to stagger back to wherever they had planned to stay the night - if there was a plan!

Sorry Phil - this isn't stuff you want to hear is it. :(
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be