New Regulations........

For topics that are specific to the USA, please go here.
Big Sis..

New Regulations........

Post by Big Sis.. »

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif ... 064215.ece

''Travellers flying to the United States from next January will need to supply personal details to the country’s authorities using an online form at least three days before they fly.''
CSE

Post by CSE »

Interesting, more reasons not to visit the States, being treated like a criminal before you arrive is not our idea of a fun vacation. :x
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Indeed... that's just the sort of thing to help stimulate the US economy! Keep all the tourists out!
Brooke
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

I read that today and was dismayed, not because I travel to America but just that sinking feeling that bureaucracy/red tape/snooping is edging more and more in to every part of our daily lives :cry:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
gpck

Post by gpck »

It's no more information than you have to give already, just now, it's a few days earlier...
gpck
A-two

Post by A-two »

This is based on the Australian system which has been in use for years. It's a Visa Waiver Program, so if you are traveling from one the eligible countries, you are exempt from having to obtain a full visa. Plenty of countries in the world require Americans to obtain visas. Also, it should speed up immigration processing on arrival, which can only be a good thing. We hear more than enough complaints about how long that takes.
kteee

Post by kteee »

I was planning a trip to Florida later in the year (we go regularly and have friends who live there), but I don't think we'll go now, too many rules and regs, and too easy to get it wrong
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You have to give details in advance before entering Spain, and I assume that it will probably be standard all over Europe eventually. If all our future guests think it will be too hard, and they might get it wrong we will have very empty properties. What does concern me is them keeping that information for 15 years.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Oh please... get it in perspective. They are only migrating a manual system into a computerized one. The stupid piece of paper you have been filling out on the plane every visit is now online, that's all. What's the big deal? What do you think they do with the paper after it leaves your hands? It gets entered into a database of course. All that's happening is that you will be doing it yourself, so it will be more accurate. Does anybody else remember when you couldn't get into Australia unless you allowed them to spray you with insecticide? And they have been using the same electronic visa system for years. Better scrub that country off your list too. Or is it less fashionable to bash the Australians for inventing the thing or the Brits for their retina scans?

No, I don't like the idea of them keeping the information for that long either, but what makes you think they don't keep it that long now anyway? And even if you never traveled anywhere, they are keeping all kinds of records on you, from medical history to credit cards, to copies of every email you ever send.
Last edited by A-two on Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
kteee

Post by kteee »

I don't plan to go to Australia, so that doesn't affect me - and I don't plan to be part of a new system, maybe once it has been running a while and has been proved to be glitch-free
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

HelenB wrote:You have to give details in advance before entering Spain, and I assume that it will probably be standard all over Europe eventually.
Details of what and to whom does it apply?

One of the ideas behind the European Union is an opening up of the old internal borders and most of the old controls have now been dispensed with. I popped down to Spain from France the other day and I didn’t have to give anyone any details of anything either in advance or at the time. All I had to do was slow down a little bit when I came to the border crossing. That’s OK because, as a resident of France, within the EU I am not a foreigner.

The situation may be very different if one is arriving from a non-EU country. I don’t know if it is or is not necessary for a foreigner to give any details in advance before entering Spain but in my opinion it should be.

Alan
Partridge

Post by Partridge »

Alan, I'm hazy on the details and just popping out so no time to look it up but yes, if you fly in to Spain there is some form that has to be filled in. I think it is on line via the airline but seeing as we always fly in to Faro it isn't something I have familiarised myself with and I guess I should :oops: :oops:
Don't waste energy on things you can't change.

Costa de la Luz apartment rental
www.ownersdirect.co.uk/spain/S5386.htm
Holiday Ray

Post by Holiday Ray »

kteee wrote:and I don't plan to be part of a new system, maybe once it has been running a while and has been proved to be glitch-free
I think you may be waiting quite a while kteee. There's no such thing as Gliche-free :wink: !
HelenB wrote:What does concern me is them keeping that information for 15 years.
I reckon that once they’ve got your information Helen, that’s it.
They will pass it on to so many other organisations in that time (who may well already have it anyway) that I don’t think it really matters how long they keep it for.
What would be an acceptable period of time for you !

And does anyone know how they are going to be reminding us to fill the form in before we go ?
Ray
kteee

Post by kteee »

I'll wait.......
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Alan, I'm hazy on the details and just popping out so no time to look it up but yes, if you fly in to Spain there is some form that has to be filled in. I think it is on line via the airline but seeing as we always fly in to Faro it isn't something I have familiarised myself with and I guess I should
Thats right Party :D
When flying into Spain from the UK
All the airlines give you an online form to fill in before you get to the airport[passport nos that sort of thing].

Its been in place about 6mths or so..
not much hassle really, all information that the airlines would have access to when you arrived at the airport.
Youre just giving them the info a bit earlier.
I havent a problem with it.

I also wouldnt have a problem with giving any sort of info when flying into the USA [which we're hoping to early next year]

Its a bit of a faff I spose but only takes a few minutes.......
And does anyone know how they are going to be reminding us to fill the form in before we go ?
Hi Ray. :D
If its the same as into Spain, the airline[ will email you a few weeks before to ask for the details if you havent submitted them.