Help, what % discount for 3 weeks booking?

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
phil_UK

Help, what % discount for 3 weeks booking?

Post by phil_UK »

I’ve just had an enquiry for a 3 week booking for 3 adults & 3 kids from 19th July to 9th August. They are asking for a discount because they want 3 weeks, the normal rate is 445 GBP per week, what % would other members consider giving as a fair discount, if any, or should it be the full price regardless of how long they want to stay?

I’m just trying to get an idea what other would do.

Thanks,

Phil
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

None!

3 weeks is no different to 2 weeks or 1 week in my opinion. Same cleaning and laundry costs.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

In July and August? No discount - there is a saving in respect of turnaround charges of course, but I put any tiny unexpected gains towards improvements to the property; for this year I had a request for a discount for 3 weeks in September which I nicely refused and they still booked. You'll gain confidence in what you're offering in time Phil. I do offer discounts to returning guests, and very big reductions on long lets - but both of these are only applicable in low and shoulder seasons. I guess much depends on what your local competition is.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We gave 10% discount for a 4 week stay recently.
phil_UK

replies

Post by phil_UK »

Thanks for the info. Any more opinions will be appreciated.

Phil
olive

Post by olive »

It's not unknown for people booking 3-4 weeks in high season to invite "paying guests" on a weekly basis, paying at a high rate: the original signatories to the rental agreement (who may or may not occupy the premises themselves all the time) make a profit at the owner's expense. This is particularly true, apparently, in ski resorts but it could happen anywhere.
(Do you live near the premises? )
phil_UK

replies

Post by phil_UK »

Thanks for the tip, I understand what you're saying Olive but I doubt that would happen. We live nearby yes, but apart from that every 4 days we go to change linen and to clean the pool. This gives us a chance to keep an eye on things.

It’s also mid season now here in Thailand. High season is November to April

Phil
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Well Phil, this is a personal decision really ...

I would normally offer a discount for 3 weeks but not in the peak times of July and August, because I know that these will sail out........

But as its June now, and you still have availability I think I would consider it.
Because you can bet your bottom dollar if you dont someone else will..especially the way some people are finding it at the mo..
It depends on your booking patterns and if youre likely to book these weeks at peak prices........bit of a gamble, but a bird in the hand and all that.......

But as I say its a personal decision

Good Luck in whatever you decide.

Take Care Rosxx
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I do not give discounts, ever. OK, returning guests get 5%. I think once I gave something off, can't remember. Someone last August asked to book 3 weeks this August and wanted a discount, I politely refused,someone else came along a couple of weeks later and booked the same 3 weeks for August, full price. I do think what Ros says needs bearing in mind though, it is June already so if you haven't had any other enquiries and if you usually get booked earlier than this then it might be prudent to offer something- maybe free add ons rather than a discount? Only you know your particular market, a bird in the hand and all that .... :lol:
Marks

Post by Marks »

No discounts in the peak months!
LaVilleauTady

Post by LaVilleauTady »

It depends if you could let those weeks without the three week booking.
If the answer is yes, I wouldn't give a discount. If no, offer them something like 5%.

We do save on cleaning costs on longer weeks, so will sometimes offer a discount if requested, but never for peak season.
Last edited by LaVilleauTady on Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I would probably offer a discount outside peak season but not otherwise. Returning guests get 5%, and only if they rebook early (in winter at any rate). They are given a discount code for the booking calendar.
phil_UK

Post by phil_UK »

Thanks for the advise everyone. The weekly price is 445GBP now as it's mid season here in Thailand. The customer asked to pay 400 per week for a 3 week stay so I said what about meeting halfway @ 422.50 GBP per week and she just emailed me back and has agreed. So thats a 5% discount.

Thanks for all the help.

Phil
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

:lol: Seems a good resolution ! The customer is obviously happy at negotiating a discount too :wink:
enid

Post by enid »

I think you were wise as you still have availability in June.