Bulgaria

For topics that are specific to a country not covered above, please go here.
Maggiem

Bulgaria

Post by Maggiem »

I was talking to someone at a party recently, and they are looking seriously at buying holiday property in Bulgaria. Just out of interest, I looked at some properties on the net (broken wrist = sleepless nights!), and they look lovely, a bit Tuscan-ish, and are very cheap. Bulgaria joins the EEC in 2007.
At the moment, one can buy a pretty house or large building plot for about the same price as a car. I'm sure that work would be needed to bring the house up to the standard that Europeans expect, but what do others think? Having bought a car from a well known manufacturer, which was really just a pile of rubbish, I'm inclined to think that I might as well throw money away in Bulgaria than give it to a car dealership!
Maggie
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

I keep hearing that Croatia is the new Cote D'azur, and Bulgaria is the new....Turkey? Greece? And that houses there are cheap as chips. What puts me off though is how do you manage a villa if you are not living there. You would have to find someone local who speaks English and is reliable. How easy woudl this be in Bulgaria? The other thing that puts me off and I know this is silly - these 'new' countries arent always politically secure, so what happens if there is a revolution? Or if not as dramatic as that, some sort of upheaval that could make your investment worthless. Perhaps I am being melodramatic. HAs anybody actually bought a place over there? Tell us all about it please!
Ivan

Post by Ivan »

I'm surprised and well, glad to see discussion about Bulgaria in this forum...Bulgaria is becoming quite popular destination for tourism and buying property..Well, talking about revolution in Bulgaria does sound pretty melodramatic...And it's true, properties here are still cheap, and foreigners are buying a lot...
I'll be glad to help you with any information :)
Darren

Post by Darren »

Did anyone watch the BBC1 Holiday program the other week?

It was interesting and one of the destinations was Bulgaria, according to travel media, Bulgaria is going to be one of the popular holiday destinations in 2005.

Reason being; low cost, not in the Euro (yet!) and only 2-3 hours flight from the UK.

Over 1/2 million people in the UK now own a holiday home in the sun - and a high percentage (they didn't mention the percentage) are now buying homes in Bulgaria and Croatia.

To give you an idea of the low cost, a pint of beer was only 60 pence. I wouldn't mind giving it a try myself, but I can imagine that if and when Bulgaria do join the Euro prices will increase.

Darren :)
network

bulgaria

Post by network »

Ivan wrote:I'm surprised and well, glad to see discussion about Bulgaria in this forum...Bulgaria is becoming quite popular destination for tourism and buying property..Well, talking about revolution in Bulgaria does sound pretty melodramatic...And it's true, properties here are still cheap, and foreigners are buying a lot...
I'll be glad to help you with any information :)
Hi

There are some interesting deals re Bulgaria eg Bulgaria Properties who gaurantee an income for a number of years.

Has any one any first /second hand experience of them??
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I am going to be honest - I really know nothing about the area :-) EXCEPT that I know of quite few people who have bought there and I do not know ANYONE who has vacationed there! (except, of course, to purchase a holiday home) It was tempting for us as well with the low prices, but I think it is very, very risky as far as rental potential. Perhaps UK residents MAY eventually come to see it as a holiday spot in the far future...but we decided to stick with the more popular destinations :-) and ended up buying a tiny place in Italy for much less than we had budgeted for (and about the price of a nice car :-)
gh

Post by gh »

Where in Italy would that be, sounds to good. We had offered for a house near us in France, now glad we didn't get it as we are looking at Italy now, hubbies family come from Italy and have the old family homestead for holidays, would be interested to know more if you dont mind Musetta?

Thanks
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

We bought in Calitri, Italy (about 1 1/2 hours from Naples). I'd be happy to discuss details if you'd like - just PM me :-) There is also a yahoo group for expat homeowners there, so I'd be happy to send an intive if anyone in interested in getting honest feedback about the development.
victoriac

Anyone else in Bulgaria?

Post by victoriac »

Hi guys, we have a chalet in Bansko, Bulgaria and wondered if there was anyone else on here in the area?
John C

Post by John C »

We have bought two studios in Bansko off plan, just about completed now.

Will have to go out and check them out soon. Not sure if it was a good idea , with hindsight paid over the odds a bit and prices are now dropping , rental potential doesnt seem too good either. WE are hoping it comes right in the longer term , maybe 5 years :?

John
John C
North Scotland

www.banskostudios.com