Most effective listings sites?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Arnold,

I think you make a very good case for having a personal website. If I had the confidence that I could rely on a personal website rather than depend on rental listing I would do it. The only way to find out to have one in addition to rental listings and see what happens.

100% is OK but a little more wouldn't hurt. Also, 100% this year doesn't mean 100% next year does it?

Alan
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

I don't know that I'd do it myself, but there is one of the posters on (I think) this board who has said he's dropping the listings and running solely with his own website. Personally, I think that's a pretty high risk option and totally crazy but it shows just how effective a website can be. I think it's all Paolo's fault... he's too so many suggestions as to how to get your website way up the rankings!

One other thing I'd add re a personal site is that you tend to get a more personal contact with some of the guests before they arrive than you do with people coming through listings sites. I guess that's a side effect of them only dealing with you rather than effectively just picking your place off a shelf.

Also, one thing that I find useful is that you see from the stats just what searches people are using to find you. I find this very useful as I can use it to give me a guide to the kind of things I should mention on our site. For instance, have you thought of mentioning whether or not you have parking at your place?

"100% is OK but a little more wouldn't hurt. Also, 100% this year doesn't mean 100% next year does it? "
Indeed. I think it's much better to be running at over 100% (ie turning some people away). For instance, if you normally run at 120% then you can take a 20% drop in business in an off-year yet still be running at full capacity.

Arnold
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Arnold,

I am quite sure you are right, someone on the forum has said they were going to rely solely on a personal website. Whoever it was, please step forward and tell us if it is working.

Point taken about personal contact. That's one of the reasons why I prefer the listing sites which produce enquiries and nothing else; I am in personal contact from day one. For me that's important because I think I am selling a personal service just as much as a holiday.

I see what you mean about site stats. If one knows the search phrases people are using one can match those phrases within the site. That must surely help in being found.

Good stuff, thank you.

Alan
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

Our site is pretty big (about 3000 words I think) so there's a lot of scope to hit us on a search but what gets me is the range of search terms that people use to find us. As Paolo says, we should have a nice comprehensive keyword list, but I sometimes wonder what planet these people are coming from when I see the searches.

Of course, it's the people that don't find you that you need to get... the continual quest for guests that should be staying here.

Arnold
ourinns

Post by ourinns »

I used to think that minnows like ourselves wouldn't have a hope in getting a decent position in the searches but one thing that encourages me is skimming through the search stats and coming across things like "resorts near perpignan" which has me sitting at number three, nestled between relaxinfranceonline.com and pour-les-vacances.com who are presumably both putting a whole lot more effort into getting to that position than I am.

Arnold