is this a scam???

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
hardwrknmama

is this a scam???

Post by hardwrknmama »

I am new to this. I haven't received email like this before. I'm sure there is a reason for the scam if it is one but I guess I am too trusting... I just don't get the purpose of it. Any ideas?

Here goes:
Hello, This is roland i am highly intrested in
renting your room for (2months) so i want you to give
me the last price for the 2 months so that we can proceed, Also i will like to tell you that my mode of
payment is based in cashier check so i will like you to email as soon as possibleAlso i lived in (FRANCE)
with my wife and my danghter so kindly get back to me
as soon as possible. Looking forward to hear from you
soonest. Thanks Best Regards. . . . . . . . .
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Your instincts may very well be right -- the grammar is not good and the mention of a cashier's check is not a good sign.

I tend to follow through on these types of things until I know for sure, though -- e.g. if he tries to offer you a check for more than the rental price.

Cheers!
Brooke
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I agree with Vrooje on this- sounds suspicious!! I do often give a general reply though and await further developments- they are usually willing to pay whatever inflated price you ask and then offer you a bigger cheque, but want the balance back!!!
Take care :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
paolo

Post by paolo »

I'm sure there is a reason for the scam if it is one but I guess I am too trusting... I just don't get the purpose of it. Any ideas?
Welcome to the forum, hardwrknmama! Image

Yes, this is most definitely a scam. This email will have been sent to untold numbers of people. Most people will recognise it as a scam and ignore it. But some people will respond as if it is a legitimate enquiry. Then they will get the next email, which will usually be full of hot air to divert your attention from the con - he'll say he can only send you a cashier's check for more than the rental amount. You'd have to wire the balance back to him or to a third party. By the time his check bounces, he will be enjoying your money.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
John Borg

Post by John Borg »

hardwrknmama, (original handle!)
Yes, it's a scam if I've ever seen one.
Why would a bonafide client jump to payment mode etc, without first asking other more important details?
The grammar is poor, though this is not always a tell-tale sign, as not everyone is conversant in english.
The way the query is set out is more than enough to make you doubtfull of it's true purpose.
Malta – always in the sunshine!