If I had a pound for every enquiry for dates already booked

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
harcourtv57

If I had a pound for every enquiry for dates already booked

Post by harcourtv57 »

Grrrrrrr! For the third time this weekend I have had an enquiry for dates that are already booked - and two of those were for 7 guests when the listing clearly states sleeps 5 - Why oh why can't they read the listing and look at the availability calendar?! - they have to actually scroll past this to get to the enquiry message box! You would have thought I would be used to this by now but unfortunately I just can't bring myself not to answer an enquiry and seem to spend so much time responding being nice and tactful - when I want to say read the bl**dy listing - to fruitless enquiries! Feel better now I have that rant off my chest!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

At least you have a chance to make contact with them and maybe win them for a booking in future.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've gained a couple of bookings through initial enquiries for already booked dates. A family wanting Feb half term booked for Easter instead last year.
harcourtv57

Post by harcourtv57 »

But we won't be able to take them in any event because they have too many guests for the size of the property - what usually happens next is that they come back and say 'Oh, can you find us somewhere else then?'
J&J

Post by J&J »

I guess it's part of the job, if an irritating part. Do you have a standard reply set up for these enquiries - it might save you time?
As for reading the blurb, people don't. We have them ask all the time at school "When is Speech Day? How much money can they take to the zoo? What colour is the netball skirt? etc." when it is clearly written in front of them if only they could be bothered. I guess there has to be a certain amount of spoon feeding in every situation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Judith & James
Apartment in Dinard, Brittany.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Judith

You hit the nail on the head, it's spoon feeding or, I like to think that people are giving their brains a rest.

When I was a child and got told off for failing to use good table manners I would tell my Mother that I was saving them for when we had guests. They are just saving their brains for other things. :lol:

I agree it is annoying but it comes with the territory, It's the police, teachers, shop assistants and others who I pity, as they get it all day long.

Chianti

Just resting my brain
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Chianti wrote:When I was a child and got told off for failing to use good table manners….
Me too. As a child I was frequently told “take your elbows off the table” and “stop holding your knife as though it is a pencil”.

I didn’t appreciate these finer things at the time but I do now.

Alan
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

Alan

I only remember the elbows one and being made to eat everything on my plate, but just couldn't be bothered at the time, now one has to be.

Oh maybe playing with my food as well, what fun :!:

Chianti
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

These table manners are often redundant now as unfortunately many children a) don't eat at meals at a table and b) don't use a knife to eat their meals, in fact some don't use any cutlery at all.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

I don't find it irritating or annoying, especially if I can forward people to a property which suits them and may have availability. It's all part of helping people have a great holiday and the 60 seconds it takes me to send a single e-mail don't bother me at all.

I do admit that there's a bit of a letdown after that initial joy of seeing a new inquiry in the mailbox. But that's a different thing.
Brooke
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Here in Spain school children are not even given a knife to eat with, just a spoon and fork! :shock:
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

BellyWobble

Do they get a knife at some point? Not meant as a pun. Is this for safety reasons? How do they cut meat with a fork?

I'm glad to say that my the children of my Italian friends do eat at the table and must behave and that was the same as those I knew in the UK before I left.

As I don't want to be accused of thread creep, which I would never do :wink: I'm sure that the children of my friends would not email asking for dates without looking at the availability calendar 1st.

Chianti
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I've no idea why but they just aren't given knives! Somehow they do manage to cut the food the most of it tend to be soft stuff that doesn't need too much effort.

I doubt if it is for safety reasons as they are allowed to have scissors.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

How odd :!: I wonder how they manage when they dine out and have to cut a piece of meat, even a pizza. I've never seen that done with a spoon.

Chianti
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Continuing the Thread-creep....

My most bizarre experience was eating a slab of Kobi Steak in Tokyo with just chopsticks. The steak was sooo tender this was actually possible :shock:

Mind you it was also soooo expensive !
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !