Anyone fancy a booking from Boris?

Using press and magazine advertising, brochures, mailings - old hat or still cost-effective?
LaVilleauTady

Anyone fancy a booking from Boris?

Post by LaVilleauTady »

I've just received an email from the Spectator magazine, who are planning a travel feature on Brittany.

Among their many interesting facts, they say that:
  • Spectator readers take on average 7 holidays a year
    The average income of our readers is £104,000+ per year
    Average net worth of readers £1million
AND

The Spectator is a current affairs/lifestyle magazine, formerly edited by Mayor of London, Boris Johnson (who is still a contributor).

Well, that seals it. If there is any chance of Boris turning up for his hols, there's no chance of me advertising!
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I got this today as well. I'm not sure that my accommodation fits the reader profile of the Spectator 'affluent and frequent travellers' sounds pretty high maintenance to me.
I'd quite like it if Boris stayed, though.
Chianti

Post by Chianti »

I agree with La Vache, I think Boris would be a bit of fun.

I'm rather suspicious of their statement about 7 holidays a year, that could easily be made up of long weekends. Even if one calculates Easter and Christmas breaks that still seems a lot. To my knowledge only top execs, or those who gain extra days for long employment with the same company get more than the normal 4 weeks.

Chianti
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yeah I agree - Boris is quite good news - so far! 8)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Similar type of publication, if very different market: we advertised for quite some weeks in the New Statesman, display ad, photo, very expensive. In fact, biggest mistake we ever made - one small booking and a couple of enquiries. Beware of any publication which doesn't have a very well established travel section. That's our experience anyway.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

We used the Spectator for several months, as it's got a good travel classifieds section, and although some interesting replies from serious toffs, there was a complete disregard of our 'petty' conditions re smoking (you don't really mean we can't smoke?), pets (Rufus is a well-behaved Afghan, we know you'll love him) etc. and as a result didn't confirm a single booking.

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Boris likes a good skiing holiday.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Mountain Goat wrote:(Rufus is a well-behaved Afghan, we know you'll love him) etc. and as a result didn't confirm a single booking.
:lol: I can just hear it!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be