Scam alert - Alice Bouchard

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
julesb

Scam alert - Alice Bouchard

Post by julesb »

Scam name - Alice Bouchard

Just a warning (especially for any new owners) that there is a new wave of spammers - they are getting clever - this one had me suspicious but I thought it was just a language issue, finally showed themselves as scammers when I got this letter today

Hello ,
I Just contacted my husband to inform him our trip , During the conversation i realized that there was a mix up in the cheque for our reservation sent by my husband, he issued 2300 Euro he thought we are staying longer not knowing that i booked for 1week with you. We both conclude that you should Deduct your payment for our1week stay once the cheque clear in your bank. as soon as you receive the cheque proceed to deposit in your bank and also deduct bank clearing charges on the amount sent . the payment in your bank I will advise where and how to reimburse the Balance to me after you have deduct our booking fee for the 1week. do you have any grocery store around you ?
I look forward to read from you ASAP.

In the first emails there was enough info and relevant questions for me to be only a bit suspicious - now I've received this one I have written back with a short sharp reply!!
I came to France to stop the panic, now I still panic but at a much slower pace.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

A clever scammer will not use the same name every time.
La Chouette

Post by La Chouette »

Have to say that we had exactly the same first email from the same person, which I thought smelt fishy, but I replied as our dates were free. She offered to settle by cheque, which to me was all the more suspicious. I replied asking for the first night's tariff by bank transfer, thinking that would finally show her as a scammer, and I wasn't disappointed, as we've received exactly the same reply as you. One more for the bin then!

Jan
julesb

Post by julesb »

So Kev - whilst scammers are getting better - they still aren't that clever!!!!
I came to France to stop the panic, now I still panic but at a much slower pace.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

julesb wrote:So Kev - whilst scammers are getting better - they still aren't that clever!!!!
Scamming has been going on for 1000s of years and it probably used to be that only the clever ones were successful. Now, you just get the odd clever one that dreams up a new idea, then lots of people jump on the bandwagon and clone it. The fact that most scams can be spotted from the first email shows they aren't that clever.

Now in the days of internet, they work by numbers. They don't need to be that good because they only need a tiny success rate to make a good profit. I hear in Nigeria there are lots of people frequenting internet cafes and driving around in Mercs.
clairelou65

Post by clairelou65 »

Oh Ive had the same, thought it was a bit odd, asked on here then decided to proceed (with caution) The booking form was posted to amsterdam yesterday.
I haven't been offered extra money yet.