Booking Statistics

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Wally

Booking Statistics

Post by Wally »

[Administrator's note: 'Wally' is actually the owner of the listing site he is recommending, but he forgot to tell us that. I am deleting references to the site but leaving the rest of the thread in case the stats he quotes are of interest to anyone. I wouldn't rely too much on their accuracy though.]

I posted this message yesterday but the moderator pulled it because I did not indicate the URL to my property.

Sorry about that :oops:

Anyway, if you are curious to how many dates other owners have their property booked then you can go to [link deleted in accordance with forum rules] and click on the Occupancy Statistics link.

My condo is in Colorado and the information displayed for Colorado is as follows:

State: Colorado
# of bedrooms: 1
# of properties analyzed: 166
Average # of nights booked over the next 6 months: 14.8

# of bedrooms: 2
# of properties analyzed: 339
Average # of nights booked over the next 6 months: 17.3

# of bedrooms: 3
# of properties analyzed: 230
Average # of nights booked over the next 6 months: 19.7

# of bedrooms: 4 or more
# of properties analyzed: 131
Average # of nights booked over the next 6 months: 22.3

Another thing that is interesting is if you go to [link deleted in accordance with forum rules] and do a search for properties in your area you will get a list which shows the availability calendars. You can quickly see how you are doing vs your competition.

It looks like they only have data for properties in the USA though.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Wally,

Welcome to the forum! Your property looks very cozy -- the jacuzzi especially. :)

So these are average statistics for all properties in Colorado? That would be very useful if it were available in my area. Wonder if we could e-mail our listing sites and ask them for information like that. It might have to be about inquiries rather than bookings, but it's better than nothing (my property is outside the US).

One question: the average nights booked is an average per month, right?

This would also be really useful to someone thinking of buying a condo in Colorado but unsure of what size it should be.

Cheers!
Brooke
Wally

Post by Wally »

vrooje wrote:Wally,

Welcome to the forum! Your property looks very cozy -- the jacuzzi especially. :)

So these are average statistics for all properties in Colorado? That would be very useful if it were available in my area. Wonder if we could e-mail our listing sites and ask them for information like that. It might have to be about inquiries rather than bookings, but it's better than nothing (my property is outside the US).

This would also be really useful to someone thinking of buying a condo in Colorado but unsure of what size it should be.

Cheers!
Thanks, the jacuzzi and the view really help us get rentals. We have averaged 95% occupancy during the winter for the last several years. :D

I am sure the numbers rdfo posted are not for all the properties in Colorado. There are thousands of condos in Colorado for rent near the ski areas.

It is probably only for the condos that they have data for. I think the numbers posted were for 4/1/2005 - 10/1/2005

In any case, it is interesting to look at and to compare it with the other states.

That is a good idea about asking your listing sites for the number of enquiries for a given region. I wonder if they would release it? It would also be interesting to compare the number of enquiries to the number of actual bookings.

I wonder what the average take rate is on enquiries. That is, what percent of enquiries turn into bookings.

For my condo, I would guess it is about 40%.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

There is actually some discussion of this going on at this thread in the Rental Listing Sites section:

viewtopic.php?t=682
Brooke
Wally

Post by Wally »

vrooje wrote:Wally,

Cheers!
The numbers quoted are the total number of nights that are booked for 6 months beginning on April 1.

The numbers might look low, but that is probably because April, May, and June have virtually no activity in the Colorado mountains. These months are commonly referred to as mud season. The ski areas are closed and the golf courses are not yet open and the hiking trails are either still covered in snow or are very muddy.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Oooh, those figures are quite low but then things pick up dramatically?

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Wally

Post by Wally »

Fraise wrote:Oooh, those figures are quite low but then things pick up dramatically?

www.thepetitmanoir.com
I have found that most of my summer rentals book only a couple weeks (or less) in advance. I think the reason is because there is so much supply that people don't need to worry about not being able to find a place to stay.

I think this is the norm for Colorado and if you check out calendars for properties that are in Colorado you will find hardly any have Summer bookings right now.

Winter (December to April) is a different story. I am usually 80% booked for that time period by mid November. In fact, I already have a December booking and that reservation was made two months ago (it is from a previous guest who could not get the dates she wanted last year).

Most of my winter bookings come in during September and October.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Thanks for that Wally,it's a very different scenario in Colorado then...much busier than the stats show. :P

www.thepetitmanoir.com