Pool Chemicals

For anything to do with the garden and pool
The Olive Grove

Pool Chemicals

Post by The Olive Grove »

Our pool has just been finished. Can anyone tell me the going rate for chlorine and algicide for pools, or point me to an Italian website (preferebly with English version) where I can source them?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

The Olive Grove,

I have no idea what the prices for pool chemicals might be in Italy. In my part of France typically one would pay about €25 for 5 kg of chlore lente or chlore choc (galets or pastilles), about €17 for 5 ltr of algicide and about €30 for 5 kg of five-way multi action galets.

Alan
The Olive Grove

We have been quoted 150 euros a month for chemicals. The pool is 25 metres by 8 metres.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Margaret,

A pool of 25m x 8m is a “big” pool. The human eye accepts the proportions of 2x1 as being in perfect balance so yours a bit long and a bit thin but it is nevertheless “big”.

If your quotation of €150 a month is just for chemicals and does not include any labour at all your quotation is outrageously expensive, somebody is trying to take you to the cleaners; at least by my local French prices they are.

For the past 8 years I have run my own 12mx6mx2.5m pool; I don’t economise on the use of chemicals and I spend a maximum of €400 a year on chemicals.

Alan
The Olive Grove

Well the width was dictated by the piece of ground we had available, and hubby wanted a decent length to swim in - his definition of decent length, not mine.

That is what we thought on the cost of chemicals. I guess ours is roughly 2.5 times the size of yours so by that reckoning we should maybe be looking at 1000 euros for chemicals, and they are looking to charge 1800. Definitely time to find a supplier locally we can use.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

The Olive Grove wrote:Well the width was dictated by the piece of ground we had available, and hubby wanted a decent length to swim in - his definition of decent length, not mine.

That is what we thought on the cost of chemicals. I guess ours is roughly 2.5 times the size of yours so by that reckoning we should maybe be looking at 1000 euros for chemicals, and they are looking to charge 1800. Definitely time to find a supplier locally we can use.
I was brought up on 25m pool so I think hubby is right. As someone who was brought up on swimming lengths I was never too worried about the width.

If the prices of chemicals are about the same in Italy as they are in France I think you should not be spending more that €1000 per annum.

Alan
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Olive Grove,

(slightly off-topic I know)

I think your pool will be a huge selling-point. Well done for not stinting on the length!
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Margaret :)

as Ben says well done you!!

Im sure it will help with your bookings it looks GREAT!! :D
The Olive Grove

BenFrirnan wrote:Olive Grove,

(slightly off-topic I know)

I think your pool will be a huge selling-point. Well done for not stinting on the length!
Thanks, we really hope so. Just wish we had been able to use it ourselves before our first guests arrived :(