Where do I start?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Hells Bells

Where do I start?

Post by Hells Bells »

I've no idea how to go about setting up my website. I've had a go on MS Publisher, but I'm not really happy with it. I know I'm juming the gun a bit as the property isn't even completed, but I would like all the groundwork done well in advance.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Helen,

Have you had a look yet at the How to build your own personal website from scratch part of the forum?

How much experience do you have in web page creation?

I think there are many of us here who would absolutely recommend that you not use MS Publisher. If you have to use a Microsoft application, use Front Page. Many of the more experienced web programmers/designers who post here prefer Dreamweaver, and there are some relative beginners who are also learning that program as they go while posting here.

Dreamweaver is a commercial program that's fairly expensive, though -- there are some free tools which you can use, and if you already have Front Page, go for it. Just don't use Publisher! :)

Cheers!
Brooke
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

OK, I'll take your advice, I do have Front Page. I haven't any website design experienc at all, but all the budget's in the furnishings etc so I will have to have a go myself.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Good luck! Feel free to browse the forum if you have questions, and definitely post if your question hasn't yet been asked!

Also, I recommend browsing the Website Reviews section. You can look at the websites of other owners and not only learn what to do and what not to do, but you can also get a feel for what you want your site to look like in the end. There's a huge variety of color schemes and designs up for review, so it would also be a good place to start.

Cheers!
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

Hi Helen,

If you've got no budget to hire someone I would buy a book and DIY it. You will need plenty of time though.

I would think of your website as an add-on, not the focus of your marketing. The most important thing for a start-up rental business is to advertise on the best listing sites. These are what will bring you enquiries, not your own personal website.

Once you have an enquiry, you can refer people to your website, where they will see many more pictures of your house and the local area. At this stage your website should close the deal.

I would set aside at least £500 for rental listing sites your first year, and unless you or someone you know is a really good snapper, a professional photographer is a wise investment. Excellent photography is the key.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
paolo

Post by paolo »

..and take a look at this thread too:

Building your own website
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

After reading through all your threads on the subject, I am using 1and1.co.uk to set up my site. So far it's really easy. When I publish I will ask for your opinions . Thanks guys.