FT (France Telecom) English-Speaking Helpline

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

How much is going to go wrong with it? I have a router which is nothing to do with a Livebox or Orange and still get support from free support from Orange for any problems with ADSL.
Blue Shutters

Post by Blue Shutters »

I'd better question them again......thanks LV....
Yes I know the shutters are not blue!
Blog
Twit Tweets
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Of course they PREFER you to rent a Livebox as it is far more lucrative for them, but I'd buy a decent router (Netgear, for example) instead.
bentisdall

Latest episode with France Telecom + new phone number...

Post by bentisdall »

Just had a few problems with France Telecom to add to the litany. The 0800 English speaking number no longer works so you need to dial 0969 36 39 00.
My satellite decoder broke. Finally got them to agree to replace it & the very next day my Livebox failed (leaving me with no phone either as I'm on the internet phone option) and so reduced to finding a phone box.
I'm thinking enough is enough as far as the FT hardware is concerned, but does anyone know if you can get the internet phone to work with other routers?
And anyone have a satellite decoder they can recommend that will work with the Hotbird satellite (Most of my clients are French)
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Not sure if this helps but I use freebox and netgear router - very satisfactory.

Also use Nordnet satellite and netgear router - router satisfactory but 3 gigs of satellite absurdly expensive and used in about 4 days generally.
bentisdall

How do you get your phone though?

Post by bentisdall »

[quote="wallypott"]Not sure if this helps but I use freebox and netgear router - very satisfactory.

But do you have a separate Landline?
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

Yes. But thanks for reminding me. I have just cancelled it because I don't appear to need to have it. Hope I don't regret it!
isplumm

Orange FR English telephone line

Post by isplumm »

Hi,

I am trying to order internet from orange.fr.

I put our French address into the order form and it cannot find it, so suggests we call them - problem is my French is not up to speaking in French to someone on the phone - so I am thinking that there might be a English number we can call?

I assume that we are not being found, cause no-one has lived in the property for over 10 years?

Mark
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

isplumm

Post by isplumm »

Not really - just a blank page?

Not sure if there shops there that I can visit.

Mark
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I see full content and it reads:

all customer contacts
Orange France has opened a customer service to cater needs of English-speaking customers living in France. It now includes a technical support helpline in English.

The number can be reached from France or abroad

+33 (0)9 69 36 39 00
* (calls are charged at your telephone company rates)
French Cricket

Re: Orange FR English telephone line

Post by French Cricket »

isplumm wrote: I assume that we are not being found, cause no-one has lived in the property for over 10 years?
Mark
Exactly so, Mark - Orange will only have a record of your property if there's been an active telephone line open until 2 years ago.

That doesn't mean though that it'll be more difficult to reactivate it - just that you have a few more hoops to jump through (I'm assuming that there once was a phone there).

I've never used the English speaking service, though I'm aware of its existence, so can't comment on that - but if when you're over you go into your nearest Orange agence/shop you'll be able to sort out and sign a contract there and then. I did exactly that recently for a house that hadn't had an active line for 15 years - contract signed, date set for engineer's visit within 5 days, engineer arrived, line activated, internet functioning. Engineer even set up both my laptop and my tablet.

You can find out your nearest agence here: http://agence.orange.fr/.
isplumm

Post by isplumm »

Casscat wrote:I see full content and it reads:

all customer contacts
Orange France has opened a customer service to cater needs of English-speaking customers living in France. It now includes a technical support helpline in English.

The number can be reached from France or abroad

+33 (0)9 69 36 39 00
* (calls are charged at your telephone company rates)
Hi,

Indeed - when I look from home I get the full text as above - I suspect that from work I am behind the firewall, so it doesn't allow certain text through.

I will give them a call tomorrow - thanks.

Mark
isplumm

Re: Orange FR English telephone line

Post by isplumm »

French Cricket wrote:
isplumm wrote: I assume that we are not being found, cause no-one has lived in the property for over 10 years?
Mark
Exactly so, Mark - Orange will only have a record of your property if there's been an active telephone line open until 2 years ago.

That doesn't mean though that it'll be more difficult to reactivate it - just that you have a few more hoops to jump through (I'm assuming that there once was a phone there).

I've never used the English speaking service, though I'm aware of its existence, so can't comment on that - but if when you're over you go into your nearest Orange agence/shop you'll be able to sort out and sign a contract there and then. I did exactly that recently for a house that hadn't had an active line for 15 years - contract signed, date set for engineer's visit within 5 days, engineer arrived, line activated, internet functioning. Engineer even set up both my laptop and my tablet.

You can find out your nearest agence here: http://agence.orange.fr/.
Thanks ... I now have an English speaking line so will try that first. I have checked where the nearest shop is - Saumur - which is 35 minute drive away.

Great forum this is - within 30 minutes of asking I have the info I need.

Thanks

Mark
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

The English speaking Orange.fr helpline is actually very good. I've had to call them a couple of times and they were technically very competent and helpful. Most odd for a helpline :lol:

... in complete contrast to Orange in Switzerland, now vtx.ch who make my blood boil and resulted in me cancelling all my phone contracts with them out of disgust.