No bookings or enquiries

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

and I certainly don’t know or want to know whether she wears knickers or not

I tend to Alan's view on this, although it could explain a lot; female eccentrics, in my experience, very often neglect this garment.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

When you said previously that there was no outside space I understood that to mean that YOU didn't have any to offer.

If you have some garden then I suggest that you set some aside for the gite as a priority.

As long as your dogs aren't dangerous then just make it clear on your site that you have dogs. As you are looking for like minded people then it shouldn't be a problem.

Do I understand correctly that you also have horses? If so then you could use this as a selling point. You need to find something you can offer that others can't, and horses may fit the bill. Even if you don't let others ride them some people just like to be near horses, and perhaps help look after them.
Great positive suggestions from Ju.. Pelly :)
Pelly

Post by Pelly »

our dogs only bark when people go past esp if they have dogs with them . we did previously offer freeeshly laid, free range eggs, but our hens have currently stopped laying :roll: . would it be considered wrong to mention the eagles? they are there but mainly several 100 ft in the sky , with binoculars you can see them , but to the naked eye they could be any big bird.we also have privete fishing rights on our own river, but currently no fish, would

it be wrong to say fishing available , if there is very little chance of catching anything .
I used to have money now I have horses; cats;dogs & chickens; not forgetting 2 daughters!
Garri

Post by Garri »

Pelly wrote:we also have privete fishing rights on our own river, but currently no fish, would it be wrong to say fishing available , if there is very little chance of catching anything
You're not making it easy for yourself, are you Pelly ;-)

It would be very wrong to say fishing is available if there are no fish.

I would be right to say that you have a private river.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

What other birds are there Pelly - if it's an area that would appeal to birdwatchers, they'd come armed with binoculars!

As for fishing, I wouldn't promote fishing as an activity if you're pretty sure there are no fish, but you've already mentioned the lakes nearby for that purpose, and for swimming. And is the river swimmable or paddle-able? These are things that your guests mightn't consider vital, but an added bonus perhaps that might just tip the balance. You've referred to golf - what about local tennis courts?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Garri

Post by Garri »

You could say that fishing is available, just bring your own fish!
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Could the 'river' provide outside space? i.e. a jetty to sit on? a small decked area on the riverbank?

If it's not far from the house then this might entice people - and yes I'd mention the eagles...if they're hard to see provide binoculars.

Will the fish return? If so then as soon as they do start promoting it.
Can people fish in other areas too? Maybe activity holidays are the way to go (hikers, cyclists, horseriders, canoeists etc) with the options of sight-seeing too.
Could you accommodate cyclists?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Pelly

Post by Pelly »

there are loads of different birds here alot of unusual ones like golden orielles(sp), ive already mentioned the hoopoes. In fact its a hive of wild life here . not uncommen to see wild boar, pine martins, and you can hear the wolves and if very lucky they do make a rare appearance , and we have otters, water voles, and somthing else which looks like a giant guinea pig . would the abunance of wild fruit trees appeal to people, where you can just help yourself to many different types growing along the tracks and roadsides .

something along the lines of

with a vast array of wild life and birds, common and the not so common,on the doorstep . Also natures own orchard through out the local area ready to taste the truely organic fruit .
I used to have money now I have horses; cats;dogs & chickens; not forgetting 2 daughters!
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Mountain Goat wrote:.....
although it could explain a lot; female eccentrics, in my experience, very often neglect this garment.

I've only just read through this thread and am quite pleased to have been out of it !

However, I would like MG to expand on his er ... em "experience" above .... :wink:

:lol:
Garri

Post by Garri »

Pelly, it sounds like the area is abundant with various interests. It's now your job to package it all up, as John said.

Try and find relevant sites which tap into these interests. You may need to speculate in order to achieve success.

The organic produce will appeal to foodies. Are there any cooking schools in the area? If so, can you hook up (partner) with them somehow?

Can you hunt the wild boar?

By the way, if there are no fish in the river then why is that? Contaminated?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

there are loads of different birds here alot of unusual ones like golden orielles(sp), ive already mentioned the hoopoes. In fact its a hive of wild life here . not uncommen to see wild boar, pine martins, and you can hear the wolves and if very lucky they do make a rare appearance , and we have otters, water voles, and somthing else which looks like a giant guinea pig . would the abunance of wild fruit trees appeal to people, where you can just help yourself to many different types growing along the tracks and roadsides .
Well I think more along the lines of what youve written here sounds great.In fact the last few posts have really opened up your possibilites I think........ :)

I think earlier GG offered to help you.
Shes very good at this[and has helped a lot of people here] why dont you take her up on her generous offer??
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Thanks for the great billing BigSis!! There are people here who write better than I do Pelly, but I can help you organise it, pad it out and give some hints along the way, as well as proofread.

What you have written is a great start, but it will certainly draw people in if you give more detail (in an approachable way) - especially to attract those new visitors to the region. As Garri says, it really sounds as if it has heaps going for it, the more you tell us.

One of the things you need to be prepared to do is some thorough research. Find what is already written about the area, then put it in your own words. Read Paolo's tips and start taking those photos; if they need adjusting and you haven't the skills, someone here will do it for you. Even me.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for you to give Monestiés more of a billing on the home page as one of "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France"! I've been taking a peek (instead of tackling more pressing but boring things!) and it looks stunning. If you've got it, flaunt it! :wink:
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pelly

Post by Pelly »

well heres some good news (hopefully) i am just awaiting for a faimly of 3 to arrive to view the gite. they turned up in the village specutively, and the local shop passed them on to us.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Oooh! Great! Now tell 'em what you've told us! Fingers crossed!
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Perhaps you could ask the local office de tourisme to view your property - if you got a Clévacances recommendation you would attract French as well as UK guests.