Floor plan with linked images

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.

Does this e-floor plan give you clear picture how our apartment looks lite?

YES
88%
NO
13%

Total votes: 16

Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Part Two of a reply to A-two

This is shoddy behaviour, Joanna, and you know it. If anyone tried it with you we'd be treated to the Ayatollah of rants for our trouble. Seriously surprising when you claim to be a real estate professional and should be well aware of the legal implications of making totally unfounded and false accusations in public - more akin to a tabloid journalist.

Reply to your posting above

Then why is he using his brand new domain name registered for his new commercial business to promote services to LMH members – I can’t see any promotion – it's a hosting page for completed floor plans.

You're right, I do hold resentment against Annette about this, and not only him, also MG, but not for myself – I don’t understand this.

So far as I am concerned, these ought to be called Brooke's Floor Plans – Why? Brooke wasn’t offering Floorplans. Brooke’s comprehensive tutorial is offering a relatively complex (for me) solution using javascript and layered images, not simple links to images.

Annette should be giving her a credit on each plan and a share of his profits - Why? I can think of several ideas we’ve shared on LMH and they’ve been developed further with input from everyone – a major reason for the forum’s existence.

At the behest of MG, he took Brooke's tutorial on how to make a photo floor plan and then claimed it as his own – just not true.

MG even pumped Brooke for more information to develop it – Just not true. Joanna – you should be ashamed of yourself.

As soon as completed, MG proudly announced it as Annette's baby, from which Annette got loads more work – it was a simple solution to a problem I wanted solved and you declined to help; 3 or 4 other LMHers have followed.

A special domain name to sell his wares to LMH members – no, a domain to host examples of work done.

Bad enough, he now posts here for review to learn how to make further improvements – Why not? It needs further improvement and useful suggestions have been made (see above).

and provide himself with a higher page rank for his new domain – plain silly.

I am still waiting for an answer to the 5 Euro per room advertised rate – why not ask Annette for a comprehensive rate sheet, showing various options from a simple floor plan to the linked images?

..because I have work to give him – OK, why not ask Annette? And between you and me, this isn't a good start to a working relationship.

…I suggest Annette's rates, whatever they are, have more to do with the fact that he never offered anything to Brooke for her part of it than anything else. 2 of 3 of Annette’s options have nothing to do with linking to images and the image links are a simple alternative solution to Brooke’s.You may find a clue in rates for design work between Slovenia and the US.

If it's all perfectly fine to allow members to turn other people's ideas into commercial ventures – links to images are nothing new – you might as well say that links to photo galleries in emails are a new idea. What about the various software management systems on offer? Where would they be without input from Forum members?

.,.then claim them as their own and sell them back to those members for profit – where’s the claim? Anyone’s welcome to use any idea, what people are paying for is the time to do it.

I don't see others who provide owner-to-owner services blatantly asking members to help them develop their business – why not? How else does a business grow? No-one’s been forced to contribute under any false pretences.

Have any of you who have benefited from this offered Brooke anything for her part in it? Don't you think you should? – I’m not convinced that it’s Brooke’s idea nor the extent of her involvement – but very happy to be corrected. Where does it stop? Postal order to Tim Berners-Lee? Payment to FloorPlanner for the loan of their software?

An apology would be appreciated. Pigs may fly.

MG
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

MG,
Pigs may fly.
Pigs are certainly flying now, with massive chips on their shoulders.

I sometimes refer to others as being precious. Need I say more?

Your poll asks:

Does this e-floor plan give you clear picture how our apartment looks lite?

I don't know, you tell me, how lite should an apartment appear to be?

If you can’t read between the lines I’ll explain this posting to you. I’m suggesting you calm down and please don’t shout at me for doing so.

Alan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Alan

I can't handle both you and Joanna's nonsense together, and it's a bit early for you to come up with this unpleasant stuff.

Not my poll, by the way - sorry to disappoint.

MG
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Alan Knighting wrote: Does this e-floor plan give you clear picture how our apartment looks lite?

I don't know, you tell me, how lite should an apartment appear to be?
Alan,
please don't criticise when non native English speakers make mistakes writing on this forum. It isn't polite.
Last edited by la vache! on Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Well said LV !!!

I think we've been here before haven't we Alan (although I hasten to add that Big Sis isn't normally classed as a non English speaker :lol: ) and it wasn't pretty then either.
I sometimes refer to others as being precious. Need I say more?
Is there any way you can be stopped? :lol:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

A-two wrote:
... these ought to be called Brooke's Floor Plans and Annette should be giving her a credit on each plan and a share of his profits. At the behest of MG, he took Brooke's tutorial on how to make a photo floor plan and then claimed it as his own, and not only that, Annette and MG even pumped Brooke for more information to develop it.
It depends on Brooke's intentions when she published her plans on LMH. Did she make them freely available or add restrictions as to usage? The parallel is a photo site like Flickr: if a photo is uploaded without restrictions, it can (and will) be used by anybody for pretty much anything without fee or credit. If it has restrictions, then you have a legal framework to attack abuses.

I don't understand why MG and A-two are slugging this out at such length and with such acrimony. It's surely for Brooke to consider if her copyright has been breached and, if she believes so, to seek legal redress.

Jim
enid

Post by enid »

How I saw it was that someone had taken the time to get to grips with doing floor plans - I had no idea where they got their knowledge from (probably form a number of sources) - they had taken the time to get skillful)- and that if I used them it would save me time.

I have to do my website in French for next year. I have a lot of other things I need to get up to date. I would love floorplans with photo links but I will never get the time. I was thinking of using some of nex-tyear's marketing budget for it - but I would hate anyone to feel I was going behind their backs.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Windy wrote:….. I hasten to add that Big Sis isn't normally classed as a non English speaker :lol:
What has Big Sis got to do with it? She hasn’t made a single posting on this thread.

Alan
Windy

Post by Windy »

Jimbo!

Glad you are still with us!

:lol:
I don't understand why MG and A-two are slugging this out at such length and with such acrimony
It's more a competitive sport than a rational debate.
I think it's like a forum version of the Olympic Boxing but without the Queensbury Rules and the gloves, and no limit of the number of contestants actually involved :lol:

Maybe tag wrestling would be a better analogy :shock:
What has Big Sis got to do with it? She hasn’t made a single posting on this thread.
:roll:
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan,

As if this thread is not bad enough, what on earth are you doing here? This is not the 'anything goes' thread, it is not appropriate for you to wade in and have a go at anyone you have a grievance against. And please stop correcting spelling errors, it really is very tedious and unnecessary.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

paolo wrote:Alan,

As if this thread is not bad enough, what on earth are you doing here? This is not the 'anything goes' thread, it is not appropriate for you to wade in and have a go at anyone you have a grievance against. And please stop correcting spelling errors, it really is very tedious and unnecessary.
What am I doing here?
I’m suggesting you calm down and please don’t shout at me for doing so.
That’s what I’m doing here. How about you? What are you doing here? Stirring things up, again?

Alan
Annette Slovenia

Post by Annette Slovenia »

Paolo

Can I ask you straight to delete this thread I opened as it is far away from what I wanted when opening it.

As I said; I wanted to get some reply on my work and my apartment and to get usefull suggestions as e-richard published.

Thank you all who supported me on this thread, but as I said, I did not want to upset anybody, especially not A-two.

And I did not want A-two to spend soo much of his time playing Sherlock Holmes.
When you want to be in the real center,
come to our apartment in center of Ljubljana!
www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/ljubljana-city/56248
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

That’s what I’m doing here. How about you? What are you doing here? Stirring things up, again?

Alan

For goodness sake Alan show some respect!!!!!!
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan,

I give up standing up for you, your membership is suspended until further notice.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
A-two

Post by A-two »

Behind every argument, there is a misunderstanding. Ignoring all the silly stuff, and the personalities, my purpose is certainly not sport, it is to try and get people to see that there is a fairly important issue here. Why people start having hissy fits when a serious issue is raised is completely beyond me, but whatever. The misunderstanding here boils down to this:
Mountain Goat wrote:When A2 offered her services on LMH with Floorplanner, I was keen to employ her, knowing that previous experience would be invaluable, rather than learning the software from scratch, but I wanted links to images. A2 declined to offer this.
This is true, and a factor in that decision was feeling uncomfortable about these kinds of issues ......
Jimbo wrote:It depends on Brooke's intentions when she published her plans on LMH. Did she make them freely available or add restrictions as to usage?
Enid wrote:I was thinking of using some of next year's marketing budget for it - but I would hate anyone to feel I was going behind their backs.
which doesn't quite reconcile in my mind with......
A2 wrote:I don't see others who provide owner-to-owner services blatantly asking members to help them develop their business.
Mountain Goat wrote:why not? How else does a business grow? No-one’s been forced to contribute under any false pretences. MG

To me, this looks like a derivation based on an original work by Brooke, and if so, it would still retain the underlying copyright of that original work. The act of taking an original work which is available for personal use and using that for commercial gain cannot be assumed. to be free. There are many parallels, including Floorplanner itself, which only allows personal use, otherwise it's about $25 for monthly subscription for commercial usage. Most softwares are the same, AVG is another one. I assume that Annette is paying the subscription to Floorplanner, but that's none of our business. Usage of Brooke's work for commercial gain perhaps is none of our business either, but that's the area where it is not clear and there are misunderstandings.

Finally, let me say that I have no problem with the end result, which I think offers benefits for many people, but I seek clarification on the manner in which resources of LMH have been used in this instance, and continue to be used.

It would be useful to know for the future, so that when I give things away for free, I am clear about the terms on which I am giving, and if it means a free for all, with free commercial use as well, I need to understand that, because it has never been clarified since day one, either as a matter of site policy by Paolo, or by each person at the time of giving.