Pool rescue.

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Bellywobble

Pool rescue.

Post by Bellywobble »

My neighbours visit their villa once or twice a year and let it out to holidaymakers the rest of the time.

They have just been let down badly by their pool management company who allowed the pool to turn green. They were visiting at the time with their five kids and couldn't use the pool. My husband spent a lot of time over there last weekend rescuing the pool and the water is now just about back to normal.

We suggested that they sack the pool company and allow my son to maintain the pool and they have agreed to this. This will give him some much needed responsibility and pocket money. Before he takes on the job though, we would like to get the pool into top condition so he can take pride in maintaining it.

I went round this morning to scrub around the water line as I guessed rightly that it would be filthy.I was really sad to see just how dirty the pool really is. The grout is so full of muck that I could scrape bits out with a knife! The pool is only a few years old and its such a shame that it has been allowed to get into this state. I've tried brushing with a stiff brush and scrubbing with scourers but although I've cleaned the general mucky build up I can't get the grout clean at all. I scraped so much muck off that the water has actually gone cloudy again, but hopefully another hoover tomorrow should get it clear again.

Can anybody suggest any way of getting the grouting clean other than draining and regrouting?

What do you think has caused it to get into this state? Is it just poor cleaning in general? More to the point, how can I make sure that this doesn't happen to my own pool which was only tiled last summer?

I would really like to get this pool looking as good as possible before this family return and for the holiday makers who are paying a lot of money for it!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Bellywobble,

Dealing with a problem such as this is not possible at a distance, a personal visit to identify the exact problem is essential. Nevertheless one of two observations might be useful.

The waterline tide-marks can usually be dealt with by scrubbing with a degreasing agent but please never with scourers. They are normally a build up of such things as suntan lotions.

If the underwater marking is of a green colour it is probably green algae and you should be able to remove it with one or two “shock” treatments of chlorine followed on each occasion by a stiff brushing.

If the underwater marking is of a black or brown colour it is probably black or mustard algae which is more difficult to get rid of. You may need to apply four or five “shock” treatments of chlorine followed on each occasion by a very stiff brushing.

The reason for the difference in approach is that dead black or mustard algae forms a skin which protects the live algae underneath whereas green algae does not.

If you maintain a proper pH balance and an acceptable free chlorine residual in your pool you are highly unlikely to encounter any long term problems but it all requires regular attention.

Don’t economise on your use of chlorine, test the pool every two or three days and respond accordingly. Don’t cut down on the time the pumps and filters are running. You are only using 1.5 kWH and that’s costing you peanuts.

Alan
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Thanks. It would seem I'm on track with my own pool. :D

The grout is black. Is it OK to repeatedly shock the pool while it is in use or should I wait until the end of the season?

We have increased the filtration times on the pool already and the water balance is reading OK now. I think today's cloudyness was just the amount of dirt that I scrubbed off going into the pool.

I'm surprised that you advise not to use scourers as I bought them from the pool shop especially for the purpose! They are nylon and similar to the type of thing you could use on a non stick pan.

It is really amazing to think that this pool has been "Professionally" maintained for the past year!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Bellywobble wrote:Thanks. It would seem I'm on track with my own pool. :D

The grout is black. Is it OK to repeatedly shock the pool while it is in use or should I wait until the end of the season?

We have increased the filtration times on the pool already and the water balance is reading OK now. I think today's cloudyness was just the amount of dirt that I scrubbed off going into the pool.

I'm surprised that you advise not to use scourers as I bought them from the pool shop especially for the purpose! They are nylon and similar to the type of thing you could use on a non stick pan.

It is really amazing to think that this pool has been "Professionally" maintained for the past year!
No! Chlorine shock treatments and people are not compatible. A gap of six hours between the two is OK.

The cloudiness probably was the amount of dirt you scrubbed off and it will go. If you want the dirt to coagulate and settle on the bottom of the pool you should use some liquid "flock". It congeals the dirt into the bottom of the pool and makes it ready for you to vacuum it away to waste.

When I advise against scourers what I mean to say is – don’t use a Brillo pad.

Alan
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

Thanks. I'll definitely give the Brillos a miss! :lol:
michaelcooper

Post by michaelcooper »

Just a general observation on this thread between Alan and BW - as Ive learnt in the past, there is no substitute for REGULAR and THOROUGH maintainance on a pool. Last year I bought in someone to do the work for me - he was slipshod and in his daily clean he cut corners. Within 6 weeks the pool was a mess (for the first time in 4 years). He was sacked, and I got back on the job myself, and it now is perfect again. My routine: A daily check of ph and chlorine levels; a daily sweep off the bottom with a stiff broom (whilst filtering) and a weekly sweep of the sides; daily chemical adjustments in small doses (with 2 hours non swimming afterwards); weekly use of an anti -algae agent; 80% of the hours you use the pump should be, in the summer, during the times the sun is on the pool - the other 20% overnight or, better, early morning; weekly backwash and rinse; hoover every 10 days or so (when needed). In short, no shortcuts, and its hard work. BTW I also discovered how to keep the pool over winter (I used to empty and refill again in the spring) - now, there's a special chemical you can add monthly, keeping the pool covered, 1-2 hour monthly filtration and it all seems to be perfect. Im told, and I believe it, I can see the evidence for myself, the grouting starts cracking away when empty of water and you seriously shorten the tile life by winter emptying.