Off Season Rentals - Do different sites perform better.

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Clexane

Off Season Rentals - Do different sites perform better.

Post by Clexane »

Reading the other topics it seems to me the discussion of effective rental sites is being a bit coloured by the inclusion of high season rentals. While all bookings are gold dust the real challenge is off-season rather than high season (which is more a case of how much).

So ... my question is what sites are bringing in off season bookings (and enquires) for you? Are they different to your high season sites.

We have had a limited time to test (less than two months) thus the curiosity on the subject.

We have found that Abritel delivered on the high season substantially however (much to our surprise) Perfect Places with its few enquires and bookings is bringing in some more off season (ie not high but not the lowest) bookings. Holiday Rentals has delivered enqiuires for high season but nothing for low season. I have already said my piece on Homelidays (which isnt glowing for those not following all topics). Just listed with Vrbo (yes I finally buckled - lets see how it goes).
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

The two serious off-season (i.e., winter) inquiries we've had have both come from VRBO. One will definitely book for two months, so that's good.

In the past we have gotten winter inquiries from French Connections because we are on the "long winter let" section of their site. Nothing so far this year, however.
Brooke
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

A two month booking. Now that is something!! WOW! That would definitely help the stats for the year. Congrats

www.villaemmanuelle.com
A-two

Re: Off Season Rentals - Do different sites perform better.

Post by A-two »

Clexane wrote:So ... my question is what sites are bringing in off season bookings (and enquires) for you? Are they different to your high season sites.
Hi Clexane,
We're in New York, so not close to your area, but I would say the usual listing sites produce results year round for us, but we too are struggling to fill the September thru May weeks. Early booking inquiries improved this year after we added a winter and spring section to our website, and one or two snow shots where possible on the listing sites (the ones where they don't charge you to replace photos).

To attract visitors who prefer the cooler seasons, we mention activities like iceskating and some home comforts like feather and down duvets on all beds etc. It's definitely working, although still room for improvement.

I'm building up a collection of photos of our place and the area attarctions at different times of year, but a local friend here goes even further. She dressed her living room for Christmas, very simply, but effectively, with stockings hanging on the fireplace and so on. I'm not sure exactly when she substituted the photo for her summer version, but she was booked last Christmas, whereas I wasn't.

Good Luck

Joanna
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I get most of my off season lets from the French, so Abritel is probably worth sticking with, but they don't tend to book until a month or even a week before they want to stay, so don't give up hope yet! I had a 1 month and a 2 month booking from French people renting until their house sale came through. The only month I didn't get bookings was January.
Sue
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Joanna,

that sounds like a fantastic idea. I never really thought of commiting a couple of pages to the off season months to try to sell them. I just starting to put together my website so I will definetly be taking this suggestion on board.

Thanks for the confidence builder Susan. Glad to hear about the last minute side because I am getting very few queries for the low season.

Has anybody else noticed that it has gone quite over the last two weeks?

I am jealous hearing about these one and two month bookings. What a dream. Do you actually market for them?

www.villaemmanuelle.com
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Most of my long term bookings are word of mouth, some local and some from the normal advertising sites. Mainly people either in the process of moving, or looking to buy somewhere. I don't do any special advertising, and for long term lets the rental has to be quite cheap, just make sure they pay the electricity and heating on top so your costs are covered!
I forgot to say that a lot of the French bookings are for weekends rather than whole weeks except during the school holidays. Le Toussaint, Christmas, New Year, Easter and l'Ascension I do a minimum 3-4 night stay and my 3 properties are always fully booked. I also advertise on
www.guidevacances.com (very cheap)
www.pour-les-vacances.com (a lot cheaper than Abritel)
www.france-pittoresque.com (its free)
I get more visitors to the site via these than Abritel brought me. However, I haven't had time yet to work out how this translates into bookings.
A-two

Post by A-two »

Susan,
Have you ever had problems with getting the longer tenants to leave? What if their house isn't purchased/finished yet?

We rented one winter for 6 months to very close friends who were building a house. Through no fault of theirs, the house wasn't ready in time and they needed a few extra weeks, which made it uncomfortably close to our next booking. Since then, I've been very nervous of these kind of open ended arrangements and only take vacationers who have a home to go back to.

Regards,
Joanna
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Joanna,
I think I've just been very lucky, no-one has ever outstayed their stated rental time, I agree a rental period with them and make sure they are aware if the cottage is booked for holidays e.g Christmas, so they have to be out by a certain date at the latest. However, I also have 3 cottages, so there is a bit of contingency if someone needs to stay on longer. I'm too trusting, but so far no problems!
Sue
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

This could be a real problem in France. We have a whole section in our contract about eviction - I wonder if it would help much though. If somebody wants to stay on and even if they dont pay rent I think the process to get them out is extremely long and protracted.

I have to check and see if my insurance will cover for this. I know of one insurance that for about 25 Euro to 35 Euro per rental you can insure against lost rental income but not sure if its covers this circumstance. Still trying to figure out wherever to take it just for the no-shows, changed my mind or somethings come up situations. Interestingly it covers the tenants as well if they cant make it for legitamite reasons.

www.villaemmanuelle.com
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

"I know of one insurance that for about 25 Euro to 35 Euro per rental you can insure against lost rental income "
HHMMMMMM: seems unlikely (especially in France). Insurers don't like opening the door to fraud & this would be too easy for a cheat. Insurance for tenants with a legitimate reason (as defined in their insurance contract) is quite common - they have to prove that they fall within the terms of their contract, of course (loss of job, serious illness, death of a close relative, etc).
You CAN insure against unpaid rental for leases involving a principal residence in FRANCE, but that doesn't apply to holiday lets.
Best,
Alexia.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Alexia the insurance company comes through abritel. It is called Cabinet T2A which is part of Cornhill France. I found it suprising myself and we called them. They subsequently sent us a confirmation email in French saying - polish that French

je fais suite à notre entretien téléphonique de ce matin et vous confirme que la garantie "annulation de séjour" s'applique aussi bien au profit du propriétaire qu'à celui du locataire, à la seule restriction près que lorsqu'il y a re-loction, la garantie ne couvre que la différence constatée entre le contrat objet de l'annulation et un éventuel contrat de re-location pour la même période.
Bien cordialement - pour T2A - A. TSCHANN

Their number is 0389 377 060.

Basically translated says that the insurance covers the owner as well as the renter subject to if you re-rent the villa for the period they will only pay the balance lost.

I still dont know if I want to pay the 25 -35 Euro per rental. I know that one problem and it would pay for itself but I really dont want to part with the 300 Euro? Still thinking ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Clexane,
Have you seen a copy of the insurance contract? It would be interesting to see what "insurable events" are included in the cover: they are, I presume, limited to the usual death, serious illness etc. What happens if the cancelling tenant doesn't provide you with the documentary proof required (medical/death certificate etc)?
More fundamentally, if you receive the balance of the rent 8 weeks before the holiday ( a standard requirement), do you need insurance? If the tenant cancels after this 8 week cut off date the rent already paid is forfeited (again, a standard contractual condition). If the tenant had a serious reason for cancelling, his/her insurance will refund their money; if the reason is frivolous, why should you pay?
Best,
Alexia.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Alexia,

The tenants need to provide proof of illness or a family member falling ill (also covered) or some other major event that stops their holiday such as redundancy. The owner is covered if the tenant does not show. I suppose the proof is in the claiming if it happens.

I agree with you that I feel secure with our bookings, however as most of ours are French they pay the balance on arrival - I am told this is typical in France. Our overseas tenants are required to pay six weeks in advance which as you point out much more secure. I know this seems illogical as it is the French who are more likely to cancel, but I was told this is the norm in France for the French.

www.villaemmanuelle.com
alexia s.

Post by alexia s. »

Clexane, I know I sound like a broken record (or just a lawyer), but what does this mean:" The owner is covered if the tenant does not show"? What does the contract actually say? Does it mean that a dishonest owner could take a booking from a pal who never intended to show up & then claim the rent from the insurer? Again, and again, and again?
You are right about the French paying when they arrive. Your obligations under French law are different from those we are used to in a common law jurisdiction: this is why I prefer to stick with UK/USA etc visitors.
Best,
Alexia.