Links

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
paolo

Post by paolo »

The homepage of the directory will have a higher Pagerank than the page your site is listed on, which is the one that counts. Or Google may simply not count links from that directory.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
oskar

Post by oskar »

The best way to do it, Meishka, is to find out the links to other peoples sites which are showing up on a link check, particularly your competitors. That should mean that if you can get a link on the same page, or on a page on the same site with the same page rank, then your link should be listed too in Google.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

I found that info really interesting, thanks Paolo. I seem to have quite a lot of links (most being sites I advertise with). I have 57 links accross all search engines, which I understand isn't a lot. Being a novice regarding the workings of the internet, if I want to include links on my site a) should they be visible b) relevant e.g. tourism related c)do you have to have permission from the company before putting the link on? e)How many links is good, or should you just go for as many as possible? I already get most bookings from my site direct rather than the sites I advertise on, so my ratings are OK for some search word combinations.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Susan,

Only Google employees know the absolute truth of it but it is generally assumed that outbound links from your site either have no effect or at best a slight effect on your site's ranking. I have read experts proposing the view that if you link to authoritative sites, it suggests to Google that you are providing a more useful site.

I am not an expert on these things but I believe that best practice is to do things that are useful for your site visitor rather than a search engine spider. So make your links visible, related to what your site is about, and as many as is useful.

You don't need the permission of sites you are linking to but you may as well ask them for a reciprocal link.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

Hi Susan,

Links is a very 'hot' subject with many people, as Paolo pointed out it's virtually impossible to advise what to do for the best. But it's pretty easy to point out a few 'MUST NOT's.

Never use 'hidden' links. Many people used to create 1 pixel images with links off to other sites, and also used same colour background and font to create invisible text ... both could result in being 'banned' from google.

Don't go 'off topic' with your links. If a potential 'renter's interest is caught by an 'off topic' link, then they could easily decide to follow that and 'put off' making the booking till later (maybe, with someone else!).

Never have more than 25 outgoing links on one page. If you have more, start another page. Again, google 'frowns upon' 'link farms' and anything that resembles one.

Along the lines of another thread (affiliate linking), i'd 'think task' and set up links to Travel Insurance, Airport Parking, Flights & Ferries and Car Hire Companies :)
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Tony
thanks very much for the advice and all the best for your new life in Italy!
livinginitaly

Post by livinginitaly »

One more 'tip' to implement into any 'linking strategy' ....

Keep in mind that http:// your site.com is a different site from http://www. your site.com (as far as google is concerned anyway)

Therefore, make sure that ALL your reciprocal links correctly point to your 'preferred' domain name.

With this in mind ....... Paolo, could you change the link to my site on your links page ;)
paolo

Post by paolo »

livinginitaly wrote:Paolo, could you change the link to my site on your links page ;)
Roger!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Thought he was called Tony :wink: :wink:
Catalan Villa

Catalan Villa in the South of France

Post by Catalan Villa »

I have a villa to rent in the South of France. I have just created a website http://catalanvilla.info but the indexing in googel isn't working. if you put the web address in the search bar you can see but the link is not active and there is no cache. Any ideas? I just want to rent Casa d'or out so it will make a fabulous holiday home.