Votes please on this one

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
jimadept

Post by jimadept »

Re: the bank emails, I agree with Alan - be very cautious about these! I get emails purportedly from PayPal, which I use a lot, and from my own bank, warning me that my account will be suspended due to compromised security, and that I have to click on a link to re-enter my details. These can look totally genuine, it's only when you hover your cursor over the link that you see that it doesn't actually go to a paypal.com site (or whatever) at all. There will either be an IP-number address or something vaguely secure sounding. Either ignore and delete or forward to PayPal or the bank in question.

Re: Engineer - much used and respected in Holland and Germany also, but never in the UK. This email reeks of scam from the first sentence, but there's a 1 or 2% chance it's genuine, so don't slam the door too hard just in case.
paolo

Post by paolo »

CatherineS wrote:But I am concerned that one day they will hook up with someone who will point this out to them and who will help them to write more plausible enquiries, and then it will be much harder for us to spot them...
This is inevitable and then many people will be conned. Come to think of it, perhaps I'll offer my services... :D
Paolo
Lay My Hat
janskov

one day they will hook up.....

Post by janskov »

I actually got a plausible mail inquiry last week (Tracy Kezman).
As it was not very clear what their requirements were I wrote back with a few questions and bingo :D
The answer was in wonderful "Africlish" and checking the IP it traced back to Ghana and a Nigerian service provider.
Since they were a little bit better than average I decided to waist their time and are now waiting for them to send me a cheque of 6000 Euro where I am supposed to keep 1300 Euro and send the rest as a surprise to a friend (I dont want him to know until when the time has come).
It will be interesting.