Peak enquiry time

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
goosie

Peak enquiry time

Post by goosie »

Due to when we bought our house, all our holiday advertising runs from March/April but I am considering bolstering our out of season bookings with a third paid site - possibly Owners Direct (though I have to say I don't like their site, they do seem to get the business!)

Anyhow, my main question is does there seem to be a trend for enquiries for UK propertities for certain months - i.e. can I hang on until the post Christmas rush (ever hopeful) or should I consider coughing up now?

Have any of you noticed a trend of any kind for your UK rentals?
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Why not do it now ? Your contract runs for (potentially rolling) 12 months, so what do you have to lose ?

I don't know the UK market that well, but in our part of the world larger properties (8 people+) are booking now for next summer.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
goosie

Post by goosie »

because at some point I will probably drop one of the sites, once I've got a feel for the level of enquiries coming through so I don't want to find myself in a position where I only have one paid site for a period of time and, I want to manage my marketing budget a bit!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Goosie, I know what you mean, I seem to have to fork out a fortune in May/June each year, which as I have a winter season, and a quieter summer one, is just when my cashflow is tight.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I quite like the look and feel of the OD site Goosie - wotcha got against it? :) Orange isn't my favourite colour but it's cheery and makes a change from the red/yellow theme of others. It's clear and an easy site to use. They are our best performer and have maintained that position for 4 years - and bring us nice guests on the whole!

Your market is different in that because you're driveable to and also offer short breaks you can expect a much longer season than we can - so yes, I'd have thought a third site would be worth the outlay. You will get some overlap - ie people saying they can't recall which site they found you on, but with the main UK sites that's inevitable, whoever you're listing with. However people don't necessarily trawl all of them.

In the hope that we may get some shoulder season bookings (anything outside June, July and August is a bonus because of the size of the property, and its situation) we're signed up to 4 paid sites.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
olive

Post by olive »

"Your contract runs for (potentially rolling) 12 months"
OD offers 6months.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Goosie

We have had our first 2009 booking already.

For 2009 [{edit} oops 2008!] our booking started in September 2007 and we had

4 bookings made in September

3 bookings made in October

5 bookings made in November

2 bookings made in December

I would say it's definitely worth starting your campaign now!

HTH

John
Last edited by Windy on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I agree with John,
In fact this is usually my busiest period for next summer bookings.
Ive already had 14 weeks booked[thats for 2 houses though]and 2 pending and had 3 enquiries just this week.
I don't know the UK market that well, but in our part of the world larger properties (8 people+) are booking now for next summer
As Richard has says.
We take larger parties and that is probably one reason we get booked early

Take Carex
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Hi Goosie

I seem to take bookings for Northumberland all year round. I've had 5 firm bookings and a few enquiries for 2009.

I keep an availability calendar up to date and I've found it nudges people who have missed out to book earlier.

I'd go for it now!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Hello Sue!!!
goosie

Post by goosie »

thanks folks, think its time to talk to 'im in doors and see if he will allow me to open up the purse strings for OD or perhaps internet cottages. We already have two bookings for next year but I'd like more (wouldn't we all!!!) :lol:
Windy

Post by Windy »

Goosie

Since I posted a few days ago I have had more emails and calls than in the whole of the last 2 months. I have taken bookings for 2 and a half weeks of next summer hols and have an enquiry for another week.

Things appear to be hotting up!

J
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

things are pretty dead right now for me with both properties...couldn't get off the darn computer last Jan. and Feb. though with enquiries for Italy (had not started advertising US yet) - then things stopped and picked up again for the last-minute bookers around May maybe (would have to go look...but was not 'til late Spring anyway) Only have one booking for next summer so far.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Goosie, :)

John and Sue[nice to see you here Sue :D]
are both renters in the UK, which I spose has more relevance for you.
Peak times does very much depend on where youre located.
But I definitely would get listed asap.
Next year looks as if it might be difficult for people wherever they are.
So if you do manage to get some bookings early for next year, it will really help.

Take Care, and Hope it goes wellxxxxx
goosie

Post by goosie »

Windy, you've inspired me - can I ask how many paid sites you list on and, that age-old question on which you think are best from your perspective? We've done really well from both H-R and Hlettings but that third one is eluding me as to who to turn to - pros and cons with lots of them because they don't come up the search engines as high as the two big hitters so it will be a bit pot luck for the last one, any tips would be most welcome