Dearer Transatlantic Flights??

For topics that are specific to the USA, please go here.
Big Sis..

Dearer Transatlantic Flights??

Post by Big Sis.. »

www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/2 ... lines.html

''Fears were raised that passengers could see transatlantic fares rise as a result of a new tie up announced between British Airways and American Airlines.''

The best flight I ever had to America was with American Airlines........and the worst was British Airways :roll:
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

haven't read the article yet...but, let me say that we had every intention of spending a week or 2 at our place in Italy this Aug....until I tried to get flights from NY (into Rome - we're willing to drive if it ment a cheaper dirct flight)...I was finding fares of $2000+ per person (!) and those were the "cheap" ones I found! Will be going in winter in the cold and gloom becasue that's the only time we can afford to fly our family there now! (last Aug., got flights for $600/person...now, that did take some searching..."normal" fsares were more like $1200...but this year? no way!)now, the best we can hope for is around $600-$800/person in winter! (where we used to find fares around $400-$600)
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

I have guests arriving next month from the US who bought their tickets before prices went crazy but they've already had two date / time changes and are concerned about the flight being cancelled altogether, as has happened frequently this summer.
Lounging on the lily pad...
TTP mk2

Post by TTP mk2 »

I hate BA with a vengeance & if they are involved you can bet that it will not be in the best interests of ordinary passengers

Thankfully, I have pretty much stopped flying long-haul now but I was a Platinum member of the AA frequent flier scheme for 7 or 8 years & always found them to be pretty good
"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools."

Group Captain Sir Douglas Bader
CSE

Post by CSE »

We have read that BA will tie up with Iberia too. So is that the end of the Star alliance?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

The deal, which also includes the Spanish carrier, Iberia, could enable the airlines to cut services by co-ordinating schedules to reduce the number of empty seats and ditching unprofitable flights.
This is from the article casa so it seems likely.......... :roll: