moving water!

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Can see the main picture but no movement.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Ah! There's your photo. :) I don't see it anymore on the index page but I do see it on your test page.

No moving water -- I'm using Firefox as well. I definitely wouldn't neglect the Firefox users as this is a growing market share.

Cheers!
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Meishka,

No, it's still not there with Netscape Navigator.

To check it in Netscape I have to go an old PC, go to a second, little-used, hard drive and then run it. That shows how important Netscape is in my life.

I don't care! I am mainstream, I use IE and I see your pool in it's full glory. If others want to use Netscape or Firefox or whatever minority product that can't handle standard coding that's up to them. Sorry, is that too provacative?

Alan
charles

Post by charles »

Alan,

Are you sure you're looking at the test page (test.htm) rather than index.htm? I can see the motionless pool on Netscape 7.2 and 8.0.

Cheers,
Charles

Post by roxytoo »

Charles is it possible to validate the code you gave me? This is what I am getting

Line 38, column 24: end tag for element "CENTER" which is not open

document.write('</center>');

The Validator found an end tag for the above element, but that element is not currently open. This is often caused by a leftover end tag from an element that was removed during editing, or by an implicitly closed element (if you have an error related to an element being used where it is not allowed, this is almost certainly the case). In the latter case this error will disappear as soon as you fix the original problem.

If this error occured in a script section of your document, you should probably read this FAQ entry.

✉

Line 39, column 20: end tag for element "TD" which is not open

document.write('</td>');

✉

Line 40, column 20: end tag for element "TR" which is not open

document.write('</tr>');

✉

Line 41, column 23: end tag for element "TABLE" which is not open

document.write('</table>');

✉

Line 51, column 24: end tag for element "OBJECT" which is not open

document.write('</object>');

✉

Line 52, column 24: end tag for element "CENTER" which is not open

document.write('</center>');

✉

Line 53, column 20: end tag for element "TD" which is not open

document.write('</td>');

✉

Line 54, column 20: end tag for element "TR" which is not open

document.write('</tr>');

✉

Line 55, column 23: end tag for element "TABLE" which is not open

document.write('</table>');

or am I thinking I can't validate it but at least people on Firefox can see a picture rather than nothing?

On the original index page with it on I took out the embed tag which makes is validate but thats why Firefox, Netscape can't see it........I think............!!! :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

charles wrote:Alan,

Are you sure you're looking at the test page (test.htm) rather than index.htm? I can see the motionless pool on Netscape 7.2 and 8.0.

Cheers,
Charles
Humble pardies. I was not looking at the test page. With Netscape 7.02 I do see the pool but without motion.

Alan
charles

Post by charles »

Meishka,

The FAQ it refers to says to put a backslash before each tag that fails to validate, i.e a "\" so you have

<\ /p>

< \ /center>

<\ /td>

etc

The explanation is something to do with html tags not being recognised correctly when used withing JavaScript code. Or words to that effect Image [you learn something new every day!]

Charles

Alan, try looking at the picture with feeling or failing that with a glass of Chardonnay - it definitely moves with that :wink:

Post by roxytoo »

Thanks for all the help, have put it onto home page now

www.spainrentaliste.com if someone can't see the main photo if they have a min perhaps they could let me know,I don't think the earth will move (sorry water!!) for Netscape Firefox but at least you can see the static piccy there?? Do others like the movement as much as I do?? We are out there next week, can't wait to jump in!!

still trying to validate that page, am getting there slowly, thanks Charles for all help, will let you know if I suceed!
charles

Post by charles »

It doesn't show anything in Opera - will post a small amendment to the code when the kids are in bed...

Charles

Post by Alan Knighting »

charles wrote: Alan, try looking at the picture with feeling or failing that with a glass of Chardonnay - it definitely moves with that :wink:
I am looking at the picture with feeling. IE has moving waters, Netscape has still waters and alcohol moves my waters, and my CRT.

Whatever which way, it all looks good to me.

Alan
charles

Post by charles »

I think there must something in the code that is preventing anything showing in Opera - not sure what though. Maybe you could send me the complete source code for your index.htm page (by private messaging perhaps) so I can have a tinker with it (for my own curiosity if anything.)

Anyone else seeing a blank space in Opera>

I know it should work as I put a test flash movie up here http://www.ecusb.net/flash.htm and it is ok in Opera.

Cheers
Charles

Post by vrooje »

Okay, I can see the (non-moving) pool now on your front page!
I don't care! I am mainstream, I use IE and I see your pool in it's full glory. If others want to use Netscape or Firefox or whatever minority product that can't handle standard coding that's up to them. Sorry, is that too provacative?
Nope, not too provocative! In fact your view is probably mainstream as well. Mine is the other way: I think, "if others feel that a rippling pond effect is worth using a browser full of security holes, that's up to them!" :) Teehee. But really for me it's all about not giving Mr. Gates any more money than I have to.

Oh, and tabbed browsing. IE users are blissfully ignorant of that feature of Firefox, but it is glorious.
Brooke
paolo

Post by paolo »

Do others like the movement as much as I do??
I give it the thumbs-up!
Paolo
Lay My Hat
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

thanks for all replies, think I have done it now,not sure how but tweaking here and there seems to have worked in the end so I still have my moving waters!! Now can I walk on them??? Thanks to all who kindly replied and helped me through it, Charles your version works with an added bit of tweaking though don't think it will ever view properly in Opera!
charles

Post by charles »

Hi Meishka,

I was using an old version of Opera (7.2 I think) but I have since downloaded version 8.0 and your waters are moving!

So you're all sorted for 95% of popular browsers me thinks.

Cheers
Charles