Changing the Linen for multiweek rentals

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
paolo

Post by paolo »

Now do we go for white towels or coloured is the big question. At least with white we can bleech them if they get stained - or is that a bad plan?
I think this question has come up previously but I reckon you should post this in the never-ending 'How many towels?' thread because it could do with a pick-me-up.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
paolo

Post by paolo »

Joanna wrote: How long do you think is a reasonable time for the cleaners to be in the house? We have two. Is it going to be more disruptive with two in the house, or do you find the guests normally go out anyway? Do you include things like wiping down all outdoor furniture, finger prints off windows and glass doors, cleaning oven etc.?
Guests usually go out, because it is trickier to clean around them. The oven certainly wouldn't be done, finger prints maybe if they are very obvious. Really it's change of bedding and towels, and a vacuum clean, like in a hotel.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Ju

Post by Ju »

Clexane wrote:Have I understood that people actually iron the linen?? We dont do this at home!
All our linen is ironed, I can't imagine putting unironed bedding into a rented property, as for my own bedding - far too tied after ironing the rest to iron my own!

Ju
tansy

Post by tansy »

there is another thread about washing & ironing machines...but yes everything is ironed here!

I may even be changing after this year to flat sheets rather than the Jersey 100% cotton fitted...I think flat sheets may be quicker to make the beds up with...the fitted are a bit of a battle to get on ...but then I save time at the washing & ironing end! :roll: ...so another dilemma...what do others think? I have 12 single beds & 4 doubles plus (z beds & cots when needed)
A-two

Post by A-two »

Ju wrote:
Clexane wrote:Have I understood that people actually iron the linen?? We dont do this at home!
I admire those who have the resilience and patience, but I was not a happy person when doing it all personally.

I still do the occasional one when we're not busy, as I don't mind ironing, but found it all too much in high season, slaving over a hot ironing board when it was beach weather and I just wanted to be outside. I became resentful of my tenants and the very heavy wear and tear on my washing machine and drier, which seemed to be going non-stop by the time I added all our own stuff.

Now I just bite the bullet and drop everything from the rental at the laundry on my way home from a changeover on Saturday afternoon. They do a service wash, fold the towels and pass the bedlinens on Monday to the dry cleaners next door for pressing Tuesday, then they deliver everything back to me on Wednesday, which is plenty of time before the next changeover for me to sort them into sets.

The bill works out $70 - $100 (35 - 50 british pounds) per changeover, (depending on number of occupants). Not cheap, but it was a quality of life issue for me and since it also raised the standard of the rental, I raised rates to cover it.

All the best,
Joanna
Last edited by A-two on Fri May 20, 2005 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

All our sheets (boxed) and pillowcases are non-iron sea island cotton. They are line dried and require no ironing whatever. They bear no similarity to the old nylon sheets which were non-iron but we detested them because they felt cold, clammy and slippery. Three doubles, 10 singles and two cots, occasionally. We don't have z-beds or bed-settees - everyone has a proper bed in a proper bedroom.
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I bought non-iron sheets but have been disappointed to see that they DO need ironing! They are still creased-not as much as the others,but....... :cry: I would like to find some genuine non-iron ones!!Where did you get yours from ( can you remember?)?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Fraise,

Yes, I remember. When we were moving to France Joan bought everything we would need, in the UK. The non-iron sheets and pillow cases she bought from Kaleidoscope. We are now in our sixth season with them and they are still in extremely good condition. I seem to remember that Kaleidoscope does not deliver to France.

Alan
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

$75 to $100 per changeover for laundry? Yipes!

Now I don't feel so badly about our E30 per changeover laundry fees. :)

But, I completely agree that it is well worth it as it saves loads of time and keeps the rental standards high.
Brooke
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Tansy, I've followed your suggestions and gone for the jersey fitted sheets this year, I'm hoping to half the ironing time with this investment! I prefer to do all the laundry myself as I live on site, it saves me about 150€ a week and smells nicer than when the local pressing do it. I couldn't put un-ironed linen on guest beds, but like Ju, I'm not bothered about sleeping in unironed sheets myself, just like I can live without cleaning out my fridge and oven every week, but with rentals everything must be spotless!
tansy

Post by tansy »

Susan...i've been quoted nearly 400 Euros per week...so I shall still be doing the washing :roll:

Yeah...I think you are right - I'm going to stick with the jersey jobs...I think I'm being tooooo particular...every now and then I find I have to stop myself going over the top...

this is my last weekend of near normality - only 2 vacating tomorrow and a family of 6 coming in...then the following week 10 in each house virtually every week until October...

only 5 weeks left at the moment between the 2 houses - I may be glad of the rest if they don't sell :?

it's a confusing business we are in...we want to sell every week and do our best - but oh boy isn't it hard work...they all think back in the UK we are living the life of riley and do nothing all day...hah, chance be a fine thing!

Alan, I too only have proper beds...but have a couple of z beds for the occasion when there is an extra child.....the z beds are only ever used for children - the family know full well before they come...3 times this summer they will be in use...I'm not turning down a booking for 11 when the 11th is a 4 year old child! Usually it is a request - can I fit one more in!
Ju

Post by Ju »

I know what you mean about hard work, we have a party of 10 arriving tommorow, and a party of 6 on their second week, and we are in the middle (I say middle, but nearing the end I hope) of renovating another property ready for letting in July.

We are now none stop until September, we've got 2 weeks left in August but I am confident they will sell. A little bit of me hopes they don't so we don't have so much work to do, but there is a bigger bit of me that says we need the money!

Ju
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

We have found a laundry that will do our changeover for thirty Euros washed and pressed. No way I am doing it now. Its a deal and saves on buying those big machines needed mentioned elsewhere!!!

In fact 30 Euros is the worst case when we have 8 guests.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

On the 'should they be white debate' the professional towel company we are talking to thinks that White is used by most hotels and restaurants because they are easier to maintain and replace as problems occur without dealing with colour match and fade problems.

Also he mentioned that most major laundries will only accept White in quantity and charge more for colours if they accept them.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
A-two

Post by A-two »

I have all white for towels. A friend with a B&B advised me to do this because they can be bleached, but the laundry does not do this, so I find I have to pull the occasional one out and take it home for "special care".

On the sheets, I have white or ivory, but recently bought light blue for the single beds/twins, simply because it was becoming a real pain to identify which size is which when making up the sets. Spotted whites get mixed up with the striped whites and by the end of the season, we're all over the place and I can't believe I'm even telling you this drivel...... :lol:

I too would like 100% cotton that is non-iron - I don't believe such a thing exists to be honest, (at least not at $40 a set!) - although certainly some of my sheets are less wrinkled than others for sure.

I like the Jersey Sheets a lot for cooler seasons, but don't have them on ours because they would be too hot for summer and I want everything to go through all four seasons.

Regards,

Joanna