Changing the Linen for multiweek rentals

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
tansy

Post by tansy »

Joanna - the 100% Jersey cotton are fine in the summer - they breath so don't get too hot at all. You don't get the initial cold feeling of linen/cotton when you first get into bed.

But being in the States aren't cotton products much cheaper than here in Europe?
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,
I too would like 100% cotton that is non-iron - I don't believe such a thing exists to be honest, (at least not at $40 a set!)
As I am fully stocked with them I can say that there is no doubting their existence. The only thing is, I don't remember the price other than they were not cheap. Whatever they are treated with, it is certainly effective - they are into their 6th season and remain in very good condition and are still non-iron.

Alan
A-two

Post by A-two »

tansy wrote:But being in the States aren't cotton products much cheaper than here in Europe?
Tansy,
The last time I bought linens in the UK (1999), they were considerably more expensive and not as good quality as the US. Now in the US, I buy from a range of places who all sell more or less the same thing, mainly outlet/ overstock stores - including TJ Max and Home Goods for sheet sets and towels. My beach towels are Ralph Lauren at $14.00 each - possibly seconds - I couldn't tell. Even the normal prices at Linens 'N Things are not bad for mattress pads - $9.99 - $24.99 regardless of size.

They seem to have similar items available online at Overstock.com, which I beilieve is also available for delivery to Europe (where Home Goods and TJ Max would not be). I'm paying $29 (14 pounds roughly) for a Queen sheet set, 250-300 thread count, white or ivory spotted, or white damask striped. That includes fitted bottom sheet, flat top sheet and 2 shams (pillow cases). A King might be $49 (24 pounds). I'm paying $29 also for a plain white duvet cover in 250-300 thread count in pure cotton. But all these sheets still need ironing!!!

I have some patterned duvet covers now, mainly Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein or Pottery barn. I get these from a factory outlet we have near here - never pay more than $50 (25 pounds)

I wasn't meaning to doubt your word Alan that wrinkle free cotton exists where you are located, only doubting it exists here, and interested to hear more when you get a chance, then I can try to hunt them down on this side of the pond also.

Are French beds the same size as English beds or different? A standard English King size is the same size as a California King in the US. An English single is not quite the same size as a US Twin, but near enough for US Twin bedding to fit. If anybody wants help to work out size information, please contact me through our website. We shipped a whole house of furniture from the UK, then purchased more in the US, so I'm using US linens on UK beds and visa versa.

Regards,
Joanna
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

I hadn't thought of contacting US companies.

Re: the bed thing - in Italy a standard double bed is slightly bigger than a UK kingsize. I now check the measurements before I buy.

C-A
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Joanna,
I wasn't meaning to doubt your word Alan that wrinkle free cotton exists where you are located, only doubting it exists here, and interested to hear more when you get a chance, then I can try to hunt them down on this side of the pond also.
No problems! I don't mind when someone says "I didn't know that". I find myself saying it all the time. It's one of the things I like about this forum - I am sure I get out more than I could ever put in.

I am sorry I can't add much more to what I have already said. On checking the labels on the sheets, they were made in England and they do in fact include a small percentage of polyester in the weave. Maybe that's what makes them, and keeps them, totally non-iron.

I have sets in various colours, with and without floral patterns, and with pillow cases to match. Comparing them with some unused sets I have kept in reserve the colours are starting to fade a little after six years of use. Other than that, they are almost like new. I think this illustrates that buying cheap can sometimes be a false economy.

Happy sheet hunting.

Alan
paolo

Post by paolo »

Alan Knighting wrote:I think this illustrates that buying cheap can sometimes be a false economy.
As old-timers tell me, "We bought good-quality because we couldn't afford to buy cheap!" Meaning, if you buy cheap you buy often.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

if you buy cheap you buy often.
It begs the question, How often do you find you are buying new sheets and towels due to wear and tear rather than staining and colouring?

My point is that I am more concerned about the towels and linen needing change due to damage than wear and tear, thus the argument being that it does not pay to buy 'too good' a quality?

What are peoples experiences. Why do you find yourselves changing the towels. Is it wear and tear or is it other????
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Ju

Post by Ju »

We are into our third season, and the only towels I've had to replace are some cheap beach towels, which I replaced with much better quality ones. My other towels all look like new.

Sheets and duvet covers seem to take more stick though. I started with fitted sheets for the beds, but have lost at least 3 though the elastic breaking. I am replacing them with good quality cotton flat sheets. The one flat sheet I started with is actually better now than it was 3 years ago, it seems to have softened with age.

I have also replaced about 4 duvet covers, one through damage and the other through wear and tear. I think all the washing they go through shortens their life expectancy dramaticly. No harm though as we just use them for ourselves, I don't mind the odd small hole in my duvet covers. I'm now waiting for the new ones to get holes in so that I can have them as they are really nice and would go lovely in my bedroom. Am I the only one that puts all the good stuff into the properties and takes the damaged goods for myself?

Ju
tansy

Post by tansy »

No Ju - I do too :lol: ....but I worry about myself as sometimes I feel I look like a complulsive shopper - today I bought 3 brooms...1 for each house as my dearly beloved and his builders have managed to use my good ones in EVERY property for sweeping up cement & builders rubble...I get such strange looks when I buy in bulk....poor woman there she goes again...I counted the other day we own 12 toilets...that's a lot of loo freshners in one go! :lol:

Is this perhaps a new wealth check...how many loos you own? : 8)
enid

Post by enid »

Re the brushes - I have the same problem of hubby taking things for building jobs - now I am a compulsive shopper and a compulsive hider - will he find the three new plastic buckets I bought on Saturday??!!

Toilets - 5 at the moment with two more planned - so that doesn't put me in the leading spot Tansy :lol:
Jo Tomkinson

Loos, towels and sheets

Post by Jo Tomkinson »

3 loos in Spain
8 loos in Turkey
2 loos in England

All my bulk shopping is done in England and grossly overweight everytime we visit one of our properties although we have been very luck up to now and have never been charged excess baggage.

In Spain the theme is pale yellow, so every room has to co-ordinate with pale yellow. We have 4 sets of bedding for each bed and 4 sets of towels for each guest, i.e. maximum of 6 guests, so 24 sets of bedding and towels. So the guests don't get their towels confused we have them co-ordinating, i.e. dark turquoise and light turquoise in one room, dark gold and pale lemon in another bedroom, and dark and light terracotta in the other room. Two problems with this - the towels fade in the sun (because I don't use a tumble drier). Sheets - nightmare. Matching sets on the twin beds, 1 pillow case goes missing? 2 perfectly good sets end up being redundant.

Our latest house in Turkey will be finished in July - all white towels and all white bedding - I'm sure I'll find a different problem to worry about!
Ju

Post by Ju »

tansy wrote:...how many loos you own?
Seven at the moment, and another 3 being installed any day now.

Perhaps this could be the start of a new thread, could loos beet towels to the number one spot. And don't even get me started on how many loo seats we get through!

Ju
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Oh, missed this thread! Never mind, I've seen it now hey :lol: Loos, 7 in France, UK- well,don't know yet as we're betwixt and between!Will let you know- I'm SURE you'll be fascinated :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

Australia 2 Loos
France 3 Loos
UK 2 Loos

Ju what are people doing to your toilet seats ????
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Ju

Post by Ju »

I've set up a new thread on this as we've got a bit off subject.

Ju