Responding to enquiries question

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

OBviously I do get the SMS reminders for the listing site enquiries, I was talking above about enquiries direct from my website.
lollybeth

Post by lollybeth »

Phew thought it was just me who sat (im)patiently waiting for enquiries!

I gave in and had a Blackberry on my last mobile upgrade its fantastic I get my messages 24/7 where ever I am. I usually head straight for a computer and fire a response back within 5 mins. The only downside is I have been woken at some pretty wierd times - Germans have emailed me at 2am GMT! I now turn the message alert off after 11pm.

I havent worked out if I can store my documents on there and attach them to emails (if anyone knows how I would love to be able to do it). In the meantime I'm going to upload my booking form onto my website so while I'm on holiday I can handle enquiries via the Blackberry andy directing people to there to download the form (and up the number of hits at the same time)

Liz
Sallys Chateau

Post by Sallys Chateau »

Thanks for making me laugh out loud Olive Grove :lol:
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I also couldn't function now without the Blackberry - but I never allow mine (or any computer) to make noises!

We have a booking/enquiry form on our website so there is nothing for anybody to download and the completed forms come through to me as ordinary emails. This means I can read them and reply from the Blackberry in the evening when the computer is turned off or when we are travelling (with Martin driving of course!). So responses are pretty much instantaneous from this end except for the American enquiries which often come in the middle of the night. What I can't do is process the credit card charges and issue the booking confirmations from the Blackberry but those can usually wait until we get to a computer/wifi if we are away from home.
susanj

Post by susanj »

The only ones I'm tempted to not respond to are those who, like one I got last week, said his maximum was an amount less than half what our rate is! In peak season.

Sue
christinedavid

Post by christinedavid »

I always find that as soon as I go away from home, the enquiries start coming in. If I'm looking for accommodation myself, I send off a few enquiries at once. It drives me mad when people don't keep their availability up to date. So I get very cross when they either don't reply or tell me it's booked when it was showing as free. I tend to book with the first one that comes back to me ( I only send off queries to properties I really want to book). In view of this, I always keep my availability up to date and reply immediately. Unfortunately this means I have to take the laptop everywhere and can never really be "away". But I would hate to miss a booking. I just wish people would READ the information provided. I always reply but find it hard not to make sarcastic comments eg booked "as shown on availability calendar". Anyone else feel the same?
susanj

Post by susanj »

We don't update our availabiliy calender until the deposit is received, so for that 7 day period, the calender looks as if those dates are free.
I don't know what other way to handle it though. If someone emails me for those dates, I just explain I have a tentative booking and I will let them know.

Sue
christinedavid

Post by christinedavid »

I don't update my availability calendar until the deposit is received either. But why does it take 7 days to get the deposit? My clients pay online by debit/credit card, their holiday is confirmed straight away and my calendar updated automatically. I do this with Rentalsystems.
susanj

Post by susanj »

I guess I could do it that way though my site is not secure. I mail them out the rental agreement and rules, and ask them to send it back t me signed with credit card info. If time is of the essence I will do it by fax. Or I will email and then they have to print it out and sign, scan it and email it back.
christinedavid

Post by christinedavid »

Your own website doesn't need to be secure.The payment takes place on Rentalsystems which is secure. I'll send you a link if you'd like to PM me.
susanj

Post by susanj »

I've set it up to do my credit card charges through PPI paymover online, but I don't want renters sending me their card number over email.
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We have our own availability calendars which allow for dates to be 'reserved' to allow time for the payment to arrive. I always give a date by which the payment must arrive or the reservation lapses (which can be extended of course). One the payment arrives, the dates are then marked as booked. Payment by bank transfer is becoming more realistic now that payments have been speeded up - we had a guest tell us late Friday evening that he had done the transfer and it was in our account when I looked first thing Saturday morning.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

christinedavid wrote:I just wish people would READ the information provided. I always reply but find it hard not to make sarcastic comments eg booked "as shown on availability calendar". Anyone else feel the same?
Yes, it's often grumbled about here Christine but goes with the territory it seems. I'm hoping two different provisional bookings are going to be confirmed in the next day or so, and it has been a long journey to get both to this point because they've insisted on asking questions which are all answered on our website.

Some people believe they reserve the right to make you work even harder to get their business. I'm like you and read the advertiser's blurb very thoroughly for fear of looking silly!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
tansy

Post by tansy »

Christine I do the same... I can't help myself a little "as described" or 'as shown on the availability calendar'!

Within an hour I like to reply.

I tell them it's a confirmed booking & I'll show it as confirmed on the internet as soon as the booking form arrives back to me (email)... I'll then send out information pack (brochures, maps etc of the area, all about the house, supermarkets etc etc) with the deposit request. This can take week/ two weeks as I do them in batches... I've 2 to do from over the weekend, so I'll go to post office Monday... I'm a bit naughty at being a bit too laid back at sending stuff and it can end up with the guests chasing me to pay me money!
it's all a learning curve!
christinedavid

Post by christinedavid »

Tansy, why do you post out paper brochures etc when you have email contact with the client? I email the stuff. It's easier, quicker and cheaper.