If my property rental enquiries were being handled like this

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
tansy

If my property rental enquiries were being handled like this

Post by tansy »

I tell you what guys... try it on the other foot... try to book somewhere - it is a complete nightmare.

I have been trying now for 2 days to book somewhere - when I do eventually get an answer they are not sure - or the property is booked or maybe booked or you just don't get an answer... so all I can say to you owners is... if you think your agent is doing a good job think again and send inquiries through a different e mail each week to see the response you get... I am shocked at the lack and lack lustre responses I have had...
it's all a learning curve!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Tansy, this is a very interesting topic and thanks for raising it, but I'm a bit confused. Are all your problems with agencies, or are you having similar experiences dealing direct with owners ?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
enid

Post by enid »

Well I had he same problems trying to book somewhere in the Isle of Man when Kevin was working there (I did post at the time) - my biggest gripe was availability calendars not updated and hen dislmissice owners when I called with an 'oh that's already booked don't you know ' voice on - no I didn't as the week showed available on the calendar!!!!!!!
tansy

Post by tansy »

no e-richard I handle everything myself... interestingly I do get from our customers all the time is thank you for answering so quickly...

After this present experience I wouldn't touch an agency with a barge pole - it's unbelievable - 1 French one with about 100 properties in Nice STILL hasn't come back - still I only inquired about 2/3 of their apartments with a sea view all around the 900 euros not a villa at 10,000 euros a week... maybe that is why??!!! :twisted:
tansy

Post by tansy »

sorry - me again :oops: I meant to say like Enid I'm finding also the owners are at fault... this is worry as it is enough to put customers off using rentals & go back to travel agents!!

We are giving up trying to find somewhere...
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We had the same experience last year with booking places in Florida and Italy. Hopeless. Owners who only check their emails a couple of times a week are irritating.

Others don't answer or don't answer your questions.

It isn't always clear which are owners and which are agencies. We were convinced we were dealing with the owner in Tuscany - she only admitted she was an agent a few days before we arrived. She had told us the nearest restaurant was 100 metres when it was more than 1km, partly down an extremely busy road with no pavement. When we told the owner the agent had given us wrong information, she just shrugged.

We also get lots of thanks for responding quickly and regularly complimented for our style of helpful response.
paolo

Post by paolo »

When I am enquiring about houses I am lucky if I get a 50% reply rate. I suspect most of those are agents who can't be bothered to say they are booked.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It isn't always clear which are owners and which are agencies.
That's a very good point Margaret. Many guests have commented that they prefer dealing with owners direct and so use OD - but of course we all know they allow agent to advertise.
Personally I feel the agents should be identified somehow so guests aren't misled.

I've also had none replies, or replying and misinterpreting the info, but in the main I've dealt with nice people; two of who were let down by their agents (their reply to me; what can I do? I agree with you but I can't find anyone else to manage my property).
I really feel for those owners who are taken for a ride by their managers.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

You can't be sure when people don't reply, but my feeling is that owners are just as bad as managers. Certainly the late and offhand replies I have had have mainly been from owners, who obviously (I assume!) never book accommodation to go on holiday themselves.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

The thing is....... .is this always a bad thing??
That there are Owners etc. who arent polite/prompt/helpful.
Cos surely thats where those of us who are[and I think going by the posts on here its the Majority]
Do well with bookings.
I know that lots of people say thanks for the prompt reply/your help etc.......which I used to think was odd.
But as has been shown a lot of Owners arent, so it really is our chance to shine isnt it.......and get the bookings,
If others cant be bothered thats up to them just leaves more potential guests for us!! :wink:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It beats me how owners can be so sloppy about responding to enquiries - perhaps they don't need the income as much as we do!! But apart from that, it's sheer bad manners!

I thought those who listed in Sawdays would be above this sort of approach to their business, but when I sent out 5 booking enquiries to Spanish B&Bs listed there, I still had to chase two of them by phone! And it wasn't even as if they didn't have availability! :shock:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

i agree that it is most frustrating that you don't get reasonably prompt replies from enquiries......however we weren't aware that we were having problems on our 'enquiries' page on our website and several people said they'd e-mailed us and not received a reply! we quickly send a reply from our other inboxes and that seems to be ok.

so perhaps some of us may have problems with our web-hosting providers?
chef who will try anything!!
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Yes, that's another take on it Chris. And even more serious from the owner's perspective than from the guests', especially if it's a while before it comes to light.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I experienced that last year (a potential guest told me she hadn't rec'd a reply even though it had been sent)
I narrowed it down to certain internet providers and put a note on our webpage near to the booking info warning people that if they don't get a reply within 24hrs its because the email hasn't got through to them and so they need to email with a phone number which I'll call them on.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
tansy

Post by tansy »

Very good point about ISP's - we are dominated by Orange here - France Telecom - I am positive it is loosing us business... every now and then I have a blitz and do follow ups on my google mail account or my .mac account.

But, very happy to report I have found a lovely agency based in UK called Joie de Vivre - the 2 chaps have been great they seem to look after French owned properties aiming them at the English market... but their attitude is spot on - I'm so far very impressed with them... real people and they listen!!

Once we have a slight parking query resolved - (seafront in Nice) - bit like I suppose leaving your car unlocked in Central London, we will be booking.