First Guest from Hell!!!!

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
PeeJay

First Guest from Hell!!!!

Post by PeeJay »

Well I suppose it had to happen eventually but the source was real shock

A **friend** whose business I occasionally use and who had done me a few favours in the past inquired about using our apartment.

He has a young family of 3 and hadnt had a holiday for a few years so to repay the favours I gave him 10 nights at a very good discount price.

The apartment is only one bedroom with twin beds so I managed to get our agent to borrow a fold up bed for one of the children.

He went to great pains to assure me the kids were well behaved and the apartment would be well cared for and they werent like other people who had no respect for other peoples property etc etc etc :roll: :roll: :roll:

They returned home yesterday so I went to collect the keys.

They had been lost :twisted: :twisted: He blamed his youngest son, which is a bind because now I need to change the locks. Also he moaned about everything. the sun was too hot :shock: the sea too salty, :!: the pool too cold, :?: the hills too steep :x the taxis too expensive 3 euros from the beach. etc etc etc. and the other owners and guests on the complex were all idiots!!!

On returning home had received an email from our agent. She had called to greet them 2 days after their arrival and the apartment was a mess. TEN bin liners of rubbish in the kitchen. She asked them to tidy up as rubbish attracts unwanted visitors :( he assured her it would be sorted.

She arranged their pick up for the return to the airport for 5pm and went to inspect after. They had already left and the apartment was a TIP. TEN MORE backs of rubbish, they must have eaten in every day. Broken crockery, fold up bed broken will have to pay for it. Wet magazines left on furniture now stained with printing ink and she hasnt finished the inspection yet :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

It just goes to prove you never really know people. Went back to see him and gave him a bill for damaged bed and crockery and extra cleaning and new locks.

Not a nice meeting few words exchanged :!: :!: :!:
tansy

Post by tansy »

Oh....sounds just like the folk we had in a few years ago - 3 children...they even set the house on fire!!!!!

But that was in my early days - we now have a philosophy if they can't afford it they don't stay...so no favours, no dropping of prices!!! They are always the ones with the damage.

Rubbish...I've even had one lot leave the rubbish in the garage and watch the maggots start to march around! We found the sacks when we went in to do the mid stay clean....Oh I suppose I should move it he answered when I requested it be moved!!!!

You will calm down - learning curve is the term I think you are looking for!!

Doesn't the forum help - blast away and we do understand!!!

All the best

Tansy
PeeJay

Post by PeeJay »

You are so right. Have chilled out a bit but wont fall for that again. No more discounts :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: if they cant afford it tough.

If it happens again will give serious consideration to a security deposit to be refunded after deductions for damages, cleaning etc.
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I wouldn't wait for it to happen again, I think you should start taking security deposits as a matter of course. We ask for a £200 deposit the week before the people arrive, to be refunded once the people have left.
This is a great incentive for people to treat the house with respect :D
No one has ever questioned this, and if they did, then I wouldn't want them in the first place...
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Wow -- and there weren't any signs at all from this person that the family might do that? I've had two experiences with people where the friendship turned out to be not as balanced as I thought it was, and in retrospect there were warning signs with both of them.

I have several relatives and friends who I'm more than happy to let use the rental house, and others... not. Actually, it's mostly my aunts and uncles with small (out-of-control) children whom I'd rather keep very far away from the house. What seems like normal wear and tear to them is rampant destruction to me.

I certainly agree with Catherine on the damage deposits -- in some ways I think it's more important to get it from people if you're giving them a discount.

Cheers, and good luck with this person.
Brooke