treating your fosse!

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
tansy

treating your fosse!

Post by tansy »

Ha...thought I'd better mover before the traffic warden gives me a ticket :wink: :oops:

Found a new product today (well new to me - anyone else used it?) ...STARWAX Activateur Biologique..lasts 6 months as it is in pellet form - just bung it down the loo as normal - and is meant to be resistant to bleach,acids and antibiotics....

That is another thing that can stop your fosse...I have heard of someone having major problems until the penny dropped what the problem was - the home owner on antibiotics....makes me think - do we need to ask folk what medication they are on...the mind boggles!!
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

Oh,yes, I'd forgotten about antibiotics!!I've not tried that 6 months brand, let us know how it fares?I've tried other 6-month thingies but can't remember the brand!!They were good in that they lasted a while but not 6 months!! Maybe a month or so?
As you've guessed I'm "into" septic tanks too! We used to have a huge one in Uk , the enormous tanker thing had to come twice to empty it!It was built by US airforce in WW2!! Apparently it was the biggest the planning guy had ever seen- wow, what a claim to fame hey??? :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

I've been watching this thread with interest!!

I have a cess pit, but no one has mentioned that I should be doing anything special with it (they tend to assume you know what they know in Italy - if you don't know they expect you to ask, but how do you ask about something you don't know that you don't know, if you get my drift! :?

Is a cess pit the same thing you are talking about?

Carole-Anne
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

No, different beast altogether. Cess pits need emptying quite often.They just "hold" the waste, don't do anything with it,unless of course it REALLY is a septic tank and they've called it a cess pit? :twisted:
tansy

Post by tansy »

Fraise - the reason I rushed out to get treatment was I noticed a slight whiff in the courtyard....bunged the stuff down the loo yesterday I think it was and this morning all the whiffs have gone - so looks like this is a good activateur.....you know my spelling is going out the window now with all this French creeping into our everyday speak!....I am starting to get confused about words - anyone else finding this the longer they live in a non English speaking country....oh Lor a new thread!! :oops:
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Hmm I think I need to ask some pertinant questions!

Carole-Anne
paolo

Post by paolo »

Well I would if anyone advised me how to post an image!!!
You can do it this way if you have webspace you can upload the image to:
viewtopic.php?t=128

Or you can do it for free using Imageshack, which is what soodyer uses. I can't find her post relating how you do this, but hopefully she will remember where it was. Sue??
Paolo
Lay My Hat
enid

Post by enid »

I've found Sue's post by using the very efficient search option - now I'm just trying to do it!
enid

Post by enid »

Thanks Paulo

Now for some loos talk - here's my view!!

enid

Post by enid »

Oh no - that didn't work!!

hers's the URL

http://www.peyrenegre.net/toilet_view.php

Here's the image - I hope!!!

enid

Post by enid »

Well I'm half satisifed - still didn't get the picture up but got the web link.

Off to point another wall!!
sue c

Post by sue c »

I'd be interested to know how successful your STARWAX is, Tansy. Or any other product come to that. At the beginning of the season I have tended to flush down the loo any meat or dairy products which are off or about to go off to help "feed my friendly bacteria" (and believe it works!). A less messy and smelly alternative would be well worth a try.

Carole-Anne, if you're new to 'alternative sewerage systems' you can find some books on Amazon. It does help to know what you're dealing with. I bought 'Septic System Owners Manual' and another one about 'country plumbing' before deciding it was time I got a life.

Sue
tansy

Post by tansy »

sue c ...I have quite a few cats...so the poor unfortunate creature that has been murdered on my door mat does go down the loo...BUT saying that we seem to have a free killing zone at the moment - so far so good with this STARWAX product, no whiffs at all....
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Thanks Sue - I'll have a look. A bit scary though, it feels like I might be entering the twilight zone!

C-A
marcus

Post by marcus »

When we bought our house the previous owners (ancient french farmers) advised us that whenever their dog killed a rabbit they chucked that in (the rabbit not the dog)and it worked very well at keeping things going.
Not sure that you could flush it down a loo though.