Selling a timeshare

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Dave@2

Selling a timeshare

Post by Dave@2 »

I live in UK and own a timeshare in Orlando. I haven't used it for several years since the kids grew up and left home and every year I just rent it out. In the last couple of weeks I've had unsolicited telephone enquiries from 2 companies in the US offering to sell it for me. The latest one is Vacation Property Services. Whilst I would like to sell, should I trust them? What should I look out for? I wonder how they got my name and number.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Dave,

All I know about timeshares is that typically they are worth far less on resale than the original purchase price. That's because of the large number of people who decide soon after buying that timeshares really aren't for them, and put theirs up for sale. The supply far exceeds the demand, so as far as I know it's really hard to sell a timeshare.

I would be skeptical of anyone who cold-called me. If you do want to sell the timeshare, I would put yourself in the position of someone wanting to buy a second-hand timeshare and do the relevant google searches, etc., and see what companies come out on top. Those are probably the places to advertise with.

Cheers!
Brooke