Checking ID

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
marie_h

Checking ID

Post by marie_h »

Hi
I was wondering whether anyone asks for any kind of ID. I'm new at this and not sure of proceedure when sending a contract. Is is enough that they have signed up on a holiday listing sight?
thansk marie_h
Normandy Cow

Post by Normandy Cow »

I've never asked for ID, but I do still post out the details of our house by snail mail, rather than by email as many people seem to do nowadays.

I feel a bit more secure that way, at least I know I have a valid address before the people get the directions to the house. Although this is not foolproof, because they could have "borrowed" someone's address temporarily I suppose....
Kersh

Post by Kersh »

Interestingly, I don't ask for it but some of my guests have scanned their ID card and sent it to me without me asking. :?
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Good grief Kersh - never had that! :?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
goosie

Post by goosie »

We don't ask for ID but we also send out the final set of details by snail mail which is our way of checking that they exist where they are!
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We have never asked for ID or been offered it. I suppose most of our bookings being paid by credit card gives us some security. I think also that the more obscure your location, the less likely you are to be targetted by dubious people?
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I've wondered about this and our solution is also to use snail mail for the booking form. If it comes back to us then at least we know we have a valid address for them and everything from then on can be done by email if they like.

We also only accept cheques or PayPal which have to clear before we give them the cottage key code.

The downside is that we have a fairly long lead time - we can't accept bookings less than 2 and ideally 3 weeks before the holiday starts because there won't be enough time for cheques to arrive and clear.

In 4 years we've only lost a couple of weeks bookings because of this so I think it's worth it for peace of mind.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

The downside is that we have a fairly long lead time - we can't accept bookings less than 2 and ideally 3 weeks before the holiday starts because there won't be enough time for cheques to arrive and clear.
I received a booking on Thursday for Sunday[just gone] I sent the directions by post [guaranteed next day delivery]and Paula collected the Rent and damage deposit by cash when they arrived[and gave them the keys]so far so good. :wink: .

fingers crossed.......
firstgreen

Post by firstgreen »

I enter their post code in Google maps to see if their address exists (but I suppose they could use any address if they were scammers).

As others, I always post the final directions.
alifrank1

Post by alifrank1 »

Maybe I'm just too trusting but I don't ask for ID and don't send the booking form by snail mail. I do all my bookings by email but ask for a cheque for the deposit. For late bookings I ask for a bank transfer. I rarely have people just book without asking any questions, so build up some kind of rapport with them, I think this helps. It must be more difficult for owners who use the automated booking.

Margaret I'm not sure what you mean by "I think also that the more obscure your location, the less likely you are to be targetted by dubious people?" In the three years of renting I don't think I've had any dubious people (fingers crossed) and I'm certainly not in an obscure location :lol:

Maybe I'm being niaive, but what difference does it make knowing their address? As we all know from past posts, it's pot luck as to whether or not we have good guests.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

I wonder if it would be possible for people not to have just 2 letter headings for posts?? :) ................
Its not a criticism but they dont get shown up in the search options..
Its a little Gremlin we have :!: .
Like A2s past posts not showing up until she added her posh hyphen :wink:
I noticed it when I was searching for the XL post recently[by just putting XL in] anything with 2 letters doesnt register.
So if someone remembered this post in the future and tried to find it it wouldnt show up. :roll:
paolo

Post by paolo »

I have amended the topic of this thread from 'ID' to 'Checking ID' so it can get found (if you remember to type in 'Checking ID').
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm with Ali on this one...I'm not sure what relevence having someones address is. What are you trying to protect against? Unsuitable guests? If so doesn't that come about in the way you advertise, screen your guests? And if it's damage...then take a damage deposit.

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
marie_h

Checking ID

Post by marie_h »

Thnks all I think I'll take the snail route

but I take it you send out either a contract without an address with booking form or send out one with full details after a deposit has been made?
We don't ask for ID but we also send out the final set of details by snail mail which is our way of checking that they exist where they are

I hadn't thought about the 2 letter heading before :? Good to no
marie_h

Checking ID

Post by marie_h »

Thnks all I think I'll take the snail route

but I take it you send out either a contract without an address with booking form or send out one with full details after a deposit has been made?
We don't ask for ID but we also send out the final set of details by snail mail which is our way of checking that they exist where they are

I hadn't thought about the 2 letter heading before :? Good to know