Please review my site "www.LakesidePromise.com"

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
RobinClapp

Please review my site "www.LakesidePromise.com"

Post by RobinClapp »

I am always looking to keep my website fresh and appealing. I have had this site since August 2004. I've been busy for last several months an now have some free time. I would love to devote some effort to incorporating some changes.

My tenants tend to be familys with kids of all ages. I have my first honeymoon couple coming next week. I would love to get more of these. I have girls weekends, and guys getaways. I have 2 or 3 couples that come up to escape busy lives. And I have couples too, just the two of them. This is more during the fall/winter/spring, I love this type of tenant.

I'm trying to increase booking and meet expenses. I need the hard sells, the offseasons to do this. More weeks during fall/winter/spring. I have mostly weekends.

Anyhow, to start with the website, please let me know what you think.

Thank you in advance,
Robin
http://www.LakesidePromise.com
Lakeside Promise is our dream home titled after our wedding day which was held by a lake.
tansy

Post by tansy »

Robin...it looks lovely - but I'm stuck for words...it's very American and I do think you will get what is on the can with you...

I'm English living in France not necessarily your market...but I think your web site looks great, easy to follow and easy on the eye...

I'd book if I was coming to your part of the world. :)
Ju

Post by Ju »

Hi Robin

I've just had a quick look at your site. Looks like a nice place.

2 comments

I'm not sure I like the colour scheme. The blue is nice, but the mushroom colour doesn't grab me.

You say you get families with kids, but I didn't see alot for them other than the TV. (maybe I missed it). I think if people with kids are your main market, then you need to sell to them (the kids that is).

Hope this helps.

Ju

PS. there's a typo on the first page, Gargage instead of garage.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Robin,

I like your site, I think it has a good design, layout and structure.

For me it's a bit heavy on the reading - it asks the visitor to get through a lot of text to get the overall impression of the house and location, and why one should want to stay there. I always think it is not a bad idea to think of your site visitor as a monkey with a mouse. He will look at the pictures and click on links, and as long as he sees pictures that say something good to him, he’ll keep looking round your site. If he can read the text, all the better, but don’t rely on it. Reading text is a bit of a chore, especially on a computer screen, so I would go heavy on pictures, light on text.

On your homepage there is a picture at the top (it’s a good picture but it should be sunnier!) and then nothing below to break up the text. On the homepage I tend to put a smattering of best pics from the rest of the site – it’s all very well having them on inside pages but if the homepage doesn’t hook people in they will never get to those pages.

In New Hampshire you may have to work harder than other parts of New England to get off-season rentals. (That’s my perception as a European and may be completely wrong). Your ‘what to do’ page lists what you can do and see, but it doesn’t state any benefit – why would I want to go to these places, what would I do there, why would I like it. The links to local attractions is very good, but they could also be qualified with brief descriptors.

If your main market is families with children you could have a section or a whole page dedicated to what they can do there and nearby.

For off-season rentals, if it is really a 4-season location I would have pages linked from the navigation menu for those seasons, e.g. ‘What’s it like in winter?’ These could be photo-essays rather than text. Or if you’re appealing to romantic couples, you could play on that angle.

As a general observation, your pictures are good but some could be sunnier.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
enid

Post by enid »

This looks a lovely spot and your photos are good - they also loaded very quickly and we have a very slow connection here so that is good. I liked your comprehensive list of things to do - I must do that on my site. I also had a bit of a problem with the mushroomy colour - the blue text on this background was a bit hard for these aging eyes but that's only a small point. Overall I liked the site - I would like to know about weather throughout the seasons. We live in the sunny south of France so when I'm looking for a trip it is usually between end of October to end of Feb and I need to know what to expect in those off season months. Thank you for sharing your site - and 'courage' as they say here!
RobinClapp

review for LakesidePromise.com

Post by RobinClapp »

Wow,

Thank you everyone, great suggestions. I did have an average site, I look at it as a good baseline to build on. I love the suggestions to make it more appealing to different types of visiters.

And if you want to check it out, I did change the background color to white, while drastic, I would like to know how you all like it.

It will take some time to work on adding descriptions and better photos, and seasonal weather statistics. But I am excited to roll them all in. This was wonderful, I have my list, so I'm off and running.

Thanks again,
Robin Clapp
Lakeside Promise is our dream home titled after our wedding day which was held by a lake.
Ju

Post by Ju »

Hi Robin

I definately prefer the white, much cleaner looking.

Have you changed the photos around? I think the photo of the front of the house, which looks lovely, would be better at the top, with the collection of internal shots a bit futher down.

On your things to do page, the width of the screen changes and I have to scroll right to see all the text. I am using Firefox on a laptop which may be why.

Ju
RobinClapp

Completed Changes

Post by RobinClapp »

I've put in several changes. It looks like a whole new site.

I love the response given that my site looks very American. I'm not sure what that means exactly. But I would love to know if it has improved in that respect.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Sincerely,
Robin Clapp

P.S. I had a lovely couple stay for a week last month from England. And I have another coming this summer. I would love to increase my visitors from abroad. What European site do you think hosts the best US rentals. I am on holidaylets, just curious!
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Robin,

I'm sure Tansy and others can explain the meaning of "very American," though if I had to guess I'd say it's primarily the use of the word vacation. The British use the word "holiday" instead, and what we call "Labor Day" they call "Labour Day" -- little things like that. We're two countries separated by a common language and there are actually posts about that here on the forums.

The font is also informal (and welcoming, I think) and that laid-back feel might contribute to a more Americanized site.

One comment: the order of your links is different on the home page compared to the rest of the site. Was that intentional? I think it's best to be consistent.

As to the best international listing sites -- check out that section of the forum, most definitely. I've had fabulous results with Holiday-Rentals.com. I didn't have good results with HolidayLets, but others have.

Cheers! (another British habit I've picked up)
Brooke
tansy

Post by tansy »

Yes - partly that Brooke..but what I was politely saying was that it was very full on...I was was almost bowled over physically with the amount of exhuberance and information....like ...wow!

I've just had another look - it really is so much better, calmer and I took my time - love the beach - looks fab.

Robin - I don't know if you saw my post that I'm now preferring American visitors...I had a disaster with VRBO - what sites do you use in the States?

All my business comes through holiday-rentals.com below are our 2 properties.

http://www.holiday-rentals.com/index.cfm/property/7114

http://www.holiday-rentals.com/index.cfm/property/10652
RobinClapp

Rental Sites

Post by RobinClapp »

Thanks,

I appreciate the critique.

I looked at holiday-rentals. Is it really $279 a year in US dollars? Is our exchange rate that bad? The most I've ever paid is $150.

As for US sites, its hard to say which ones will work well for you. I can tell you which ones work well for me.

http://www.VacationRentals.com is one of my best and it has a free trial, which would make it worth the time and effort.

I have great luck with http://www.cyberrentals.com

I also get many inquiries from http://www.indvr.com. They are running a special so its cheap and worth the trial.

vrbo does well for me, but it is crowded.

I'm also on PerfectPlaces.com. No long enough to know if its worth it.

Hope this helps.

And as for my site, I was able to add some information about the seasons and the weather, as someone suggested. How does that look, is it what you had in mind?

And has anyone noticed whether the loading time as increased? I have a fast connection, so I can't tell.

I don't know why those links bounce around, but they do. Its part the of the website design program. When you click on one page, they shift up.

Paolo, do you think the home page does a better job of grabbing the reader now?

Thank you all, this has been a great experience. I hope I get a chance to look around and learn more from other treads.

Sincerely,
Robin Clapp
Clexane

Post by Clexane »

The site is much nicer now more readable and lots of pictures which is what I think most renters are looking for.

Looks good.
So you wanted a holiday home in france ...

www.villaemmanuelle.com
Ju

Post by Ju »

I really like the new improved site. Good work.

Ju
HWTechie

Post by HWTechie »

My two cents..

Looks much better with white background.

Availability Calendar and Guestbook links, make them open in new windows, as they go off site.

Why the second Home Page link that goes to Vacation Rentals? If it is required by them, then again open in new window.

The main image on your home page, it moves the whole site around when it loads, try putting in your width and height attributes and this will stop.

The "Make a promise..." and "Our home sleeps 10..." are images. You could make good use of these keywords using header tags, rather than having them in an image. Good search engine spider food! :)

At the bottom of the homepage you have links out to various listing sites. Again, if you are required to link to these sites, open them in a new window and consider deeplinking to your own property within the sites.

I should add I do really like the site! It's very informative and reasonably clean. Coding is a bit heavy, probably from the software you're using?

To find loading speeds, this is reasonably accurate -
http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

HTH

HW Techie
Ciapolin

Post by Ciapolin »

Robin,

I am conscious I have come to this late and you have already had a lot of feedback. The only thing I would add is a personal bugbear of mine, which is that to read the site I have to scroll from left to right.

I think there is a thread in one of the other postings about how to fix this.

Other than that, your property looks great. Good luck with increasing your bookings!

Carole-Anne