What Global Warming ?!

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Beanie

What Global Warming ?!

Post by Beanie »

Arrived out in the Alps yesterday, lovely sunny drive along Lake Geneva so looking forward to catching some much-needed Autumnal rays. What do we wake up to this morning .... 15cm of snow !

Anyone else got bizarrely early snow as yet ?

Historically, early snowfall doesn't seem to bode well for the ski season. Or is that an urban myth ?

:?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You're making me jealous, snow or sunshine, I don't care, I can't get out there this autumn.

:cry:
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

We had snow in the 3rd week of September and again the end of last week. Only a dusting, and only on the moutain (just under 1,500 metres). Autumn has come very, very early this year. It was earlier than usual last year too and we had huge falls of sow in the village in late October. The skiing season was good. So let's hope for the best!
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Very warm today (35 degrees in the sun) and lovely blue skies so the snow is melting. However, the locals (and the cows) have all been taken a bit by surprise with no winter tyres on cars or hay out for the cows. Saw lots of trailers going past today with 3-4 cows onboard at a time as they were hurridly getting them down off the pasture-land early.

As you say, Margaret, let's hope for the best with the ski season. Our winters are definitely getting milder.

Beanie
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

The guy who took this pic at 9am yesterday, lives just round the corner from us. It'd better be gone tomorrow - I'm there for the exterior decoration, not skiing....

MG
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

Goodness, I hope it doesn't get like that here anytime soon - I still have to clear the geraniums and get the gardens tidied!
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

We had our first frost here last week - it was about a month early. It must have been quite severe as I found that the pool heating panels had sprung a load of leaks overnight. Grrrr.

I noticed that the news doesn't talk about global warming so much these days, more about "climate change". I guess this is so that those like ouselves who suffer early frosts or snow don't suddenly rush out to buy that gas guzzling SUV we always secretly wanted :wink:
Beanie

Post by Beanie »

Our geraniums got completely covered Margaret (if I knew how to insert an image I'd show you) but seem fine today now that snow has all melted on the lowlands. Locals seem to think that will be it for the snow for the next month - no idea what they base that on.

MG might be ok with his exterior decorating.

Beanie
Martha

Post by Martha »

It was quite thick in Chamonix! All gone now though. Hopefully the wating system hasn't broken....
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

MG might be ok with his exterior decorating

Hope he remembered his Batman thermals....