Treating guests like at home

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Sue Dyer

Post by Sue Dyer »

Susan, buy darker, heavier patterned ones that don't show the stains up so much!! I don't have a problem with folk leaving the tea towels mucky very often. I do put a new dish cloth out every week though as even if they are bleached and washed they still look a bit well, like a stained dishcloth someone else has used.... I bought a cheap big bulk pack at the cash and carry. I have the once used ones for home and work... so many of them!!
tansy

Post by tansy »

2 isn't enough - that is why they are getting so stained - I leave a dozen or more each week..try that...I'm one that only uses a tea towel once and then it goes into the wash - they are the biggest harbour of germs in the kitchen apart from the dish cloth.

Only 2 would drive me potty :lol:

I had some stained the other week - but I've washed them and pressed them so they are stiff and look laundered - no one seems to mind if they see they are clean.
vrooje

Post by vrooje »

So, this is probably a UK/US terminology thing...

...what exactly is a tea towel? By that I mean, how big is it? In the US, wash cloths are roughly square-shaped and about 20-30 cm on a side, and dish towels are probably 40 cm by 60 cm.

Cheers!
Brooke
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Dish cloth = wash cloth
Tea towell = dish towell

Two countries separated by a common language.
Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I would be interested to know if those of you who supply a welcome pack, tell guests beforehand what there will be?
I'm never sure whether to or not, as I think it can make a nice surprise, but on the other hand if they stop at the supermarket on the way in to buy stuff and then find its supplied, I think they would feel a little frustrated.What do you think?
debk

Post by debk »

I found it easiest to list on our website. Those that want the info, can read it there. Those that don't can skip over it.
debk
enid

Post by enid »

We're here on site so that influences what we leave for a welcome - always eggs , toms from the garden and lettuce etc available during the stay. We also leave walnuts as we have loads and they are a crop in this village. I do leave little soaps and shampoos but I like the advice for liquid dispensers. We leave a bottle of wine,cleaning stuff, toilet rolls and kitchen towels and basic kitcben items. But the thing that has received the thank yous is that we provide pool towels - so bulky to bring - and as I am Madame promo I got them for a good price.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Enid,

To be honest Joan, who is in charge and must be obeyed, doesn't regard cleaning stuff, toilet rolls, kitchen towels and basic kitchen items as being part of a welcome pack. Also, she provides a full set of towels, including pool towels, as standard.

Her approach is to ask the guests for a shopping list which she gets in and supplies "at shop cost". People driving here often do their own shopping on the way but those who are flying really appreciate the facility. The shopping lists can vary from the most basic items to the bizarre.

Alan
enid

Post by enid »

Yes I agree - the welcome pack isn't the toilet rolls etc it's the eggs and stuff - my mixed up post was trying to point out that it isn't just the welcome pack that differs between rentals - what you put in as standard does too.

The only 'work' I have done today is looking at my mail and reading posts on the computer - too bunged up to think and obviously to write properly - time for an early snifter!!!
gh

Post by gh »

enid wrote: I do leave little soaps and shampoos
Hi Enid,

Been looking for these to leave for our guest's, seen a company Out of Eden, any views on them or any other recommendations, they seem very reasonable.

Regards
enid

Post by enid »

I got some soaps and shampoos at Metro cah and carry and then I had someone who came to the house who I bought toilet rolls and soap and shampoo from - she also sold me some very good cleaning stuff and disinfectant fro the fridges and work tops - I'll try to find the company name tomorrow - all my files are buried in the cellar at the moment whilst work goes on in the house.
Christine Kenyon

Post by Christine Kenyon »

Hello Johnel. I've just got the brochure for "Out of Eden" and will certainly be using them. I've heard good reports about them and their name seems to crop up regularly.
gh

Post by gh »

Thanks Enid & Christine, I appreciate your replys, going to order today, no need to venture into the cellar Enid, if its anything like ours 'spiders' will be lurking argh!

Regards
Helen
Fraise

Post by Fraise »

I go to Boots and stock up big time in the Christmas sales.I've got about 100 little jars of shower gel,body lotion,shampoo and conditioner to take over next month :wink: I've decided to just put good quality whole size soaps in the bathrooms and just throw them away at the end of the visit.The lady who looks after the house for me had such trouble getting her head around the idea of throwing opened bottles of ANYTHING away- it took quite a while but we have reached a compromise- she just takes anything opened home with her :wink:

www.thepetitmanoir.com
Ju

Post by Ju »

On behalf of your cleaner, could I suggest that you use liquid soap rather than solid. Baths and sinks are so much easier to clean afterwards. I curse solid soap users so much I thought about banning them, but I thought that" you are welcome as long as you don't use soap" didn't quite set the right tone!

Ju