ChaletPro.com

For topics that are specific to mountain locations, please go here.
Mountain Goat

ChaletPro.com

Post by Mountain Goat »

We've just been playing around with this new chalet-listing site which has to be worth a go - simple, straightforward, helpful guys running it.

One of the options (ticking off their registration boxes) is:

The Chalet is available for shared groups Yes/No

Just out of interest, does anyone know what that's meant to mean? I do now, but is it obvious?

MG
Margaret

Post by Margaret »

I also think it is a really well designed site and have listed on it. But when it was metioned here before, several people were very dismissive of it. I can't remember why!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Really? Well, it's dead easy to upload info and images, and it's only just been released (I thought). The site owners are also open to ideas.

MG
Martha

Post by Martha »

They emailed me a few weeks ago, and I saw they'd just put it live. I liked it, and agree with MG, they seem very nice and open to feedback.

I assumed that Shared Groups meant that you don't have to book the whole chalet, but I agree it maybe could be clearer. Tricky one for you with your setup MG...
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yes, you're right, Martha, I'd never heard that phrase.

I think it needs beefing up with ski info for each resort, but I guess that's our responsibility. It would help the SEO. Some nice pads there - £23k/week? Cor.

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've just finished my listing at lunchtime. I'd registered ages ago but hadn't got round to putting photos on etc. I like the links to the social networking stuff.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yes, those links are interesting, but not sure how they work technically. Garri will fill us in, I'm sure.

Sprinkling liberally with the word vacation throughout the site could help as well - it's very holiday orientated.

A link for webcams? (:lol:), virtual tours? (:lol: :lol:)

MG
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Margaret, I think you may be confusing it with another site (http://www.simply-chalets.co.uk/). I could only find one post (by me and unanswered ) about chaletpro
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Duplicate post....how did that happen?
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I must have found out about chaletpro from you, Helen, thanks.

Thread creep

Have you tried simply-chalets.co.uk? I asked what sort of deal they could offer and didn't get very far - they offered me a one-way link (insisting it had to be off our home page prime links list) in exchange for not having an outbound link. :lol:

When a site is starting out do they really think that's a good way to drum up some dedicated rental home owners who are going to give them some positive comments on forums? Direly inaccurate information on our resort and piste maps lifted from a 10 yr-old out-of-date resort map showing lifts which were long ago flogged to Bulgaria.

The mystery of not allowing outbound links will never be solved with any of these sites. If they're not a commission site, what've they got to lose except gain some SEO?

MG
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martha

Post by Martha »

I don't bother listing on any of the free ones now unless they offer a link. Well not unless it looks really, really good.

According to simplychalets, Chamonix is "Mainly for the black runners" :lol:
Last edited by Martha on Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Martha, does any site lose out from offering outbound links? Apart from the commission-based outfits?

MG
Martha

Post by Martha »

There's some occasional bickering on the subject with people theorising that you lose page rank that way but I've never seen anyone argue that it's more than a very minor factor. I agree, it's daft to not allow it - such a simple way to give people a good reason to sign up.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

MG, I am listed on simply Chalets, I put a link on my site (no stipulation where it had to go) in exchange for a reduction in the cost. No too bothered about the lack of a link, it seems most people these days enquire through my website independently of the listing sites.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Thanks, Helen, looks as though there's a flexible deal out there. I'd be OK with a link from an inside page, but Home Page is pushing it.

Well, if simplychalets look at their web stats they'll be along here to see what the excitement is.

They've given us as having skiing up to 2971m....I wonder who writes their stuff for them? Baffling. My offer of free proof-reading for a listing was also turned down. :lol:

MG