Hi, New member, New Web Site, New Everything

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
hurghadasun

Hi, New member, New Web Site, New Everything

Post by hurghadasun »

Hi all,
I'm a new member and also new at holiday lettings. This is our holiday home in Hurghada Egypt which we are hoping to let out whilst we are stuck in Britain :(
We have created this web-site in the hope it will generate some lettings and as such, since it has been published, we have had a few bookings.

Anyway, have a look and rip it to bits if you feel the need. This was our first attempt at web building.

www.hurghadasun.co.uk

Regards to all

John and Kate
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Welcome to LMH! Hurgharda looks a lovely place to have a holiday, although a bit too hot for me. However!! I don't mean to be unkind about your site, but the BIG weather forecast on the homepage looks out of place, there are no photos of the apartment until I scroll down, which I probably wouldn't bother to do. I don't like all the different colour, size and type of fonts. I wanted to find out more about the apartment, but didn't know where to look on the navigation menu as there isn't an option, so clicked on 'about us' and found lots and lots of text with some photos right at the bottom. It wouldn't have held my attention and lots of text without photos will put people off. I don't like the subheadings 'What about the apartment' 'What about some photos' - are they questions?
I really think you MUST have more photos visible on the site without using just a slideshow - many visitors probably won't get that far with the way the site looks at the moment.
I would personally have separate pages for the apartment and the area just to keep things easy to understand and not have too much text on each page.
On the travel information page, the flight information doesn't work in FF, I can only see the flights highlighted in IE7.
Sorry!!
Last edited by la vache! on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hurghadasun

Post by hurghadasun »

Thanks for that, it's important that we get as many points of view as possible.
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi Kate and John and welcome to LMH! Also to the wonderful world of holiday rental ownership! :wink: It's fun, most here agree, but does tend to have its ups and downs! Anyway, you've come to the right place to learn from those with more experience under their belts, and get some support when you need it.

I don't recall seeing anyone else posting here with a property in Egypt, but could be wrong - and there may well be others lurking who are thinking of buying there, so it was nice to see you offering to give advice if someone asks about the buying process etc. Meanwhile though, do feel free to offer a review or two on other people's websites; I found this a good way of crystallising my views on what makes an appealing site, and as well, it helps others.

Have had a peek at your website and since I'm totally useless at anything other than putting property details and photos on a listing site, I'm lost in admiration for anyone who's game enough to tackle building their own website.

Therefore I feel a bit mean by offering criticism! However, you've asked for some feedback, so I'll go ahead, then duck swiftly behind the parapet! I see that La Vache has posted while I've been typing, and that we're in agreement about some of the issues.

Egypt has long been an important venue for travellers keen to explore the wonders of ancient civilisation and is beginning to grow in popularity as a beach destination now, for sure; however there are many holiday-makers who still need encouragement to think out of the box. At the top of the home page, you conclude your sentence "offers all the facilities needed to be a suitable base for this unparalleled venue for sun and fun in Egypt."

It's been said a lot of times here, and can stand to be repeated again I think - that the home page is all important in terms of grabbing interest. It's your shop window, and determines whether people are going to open the door and come inside. I'd therefore be inclined to expand on what might draw visitors to your area. Why is it unparalleled? The best way is with a bit more descriptive text, mixed with photos.

I don't know if others agree, but the sunset image is very striking. And works well with the menu colour! I think I'd go for a couple more of your best shots, and bring them further up the page. That's important, as they'll only see a fish and a sunset without scrolling. I might even do away with the moving pics at the foot of this page and put them in their own gallery on another page, linked to from the menu. You can afford to reduce the size of the existing photos just a bit, and perhaps look at rearranging the page if you can.

The only other comment I'd make (before going to get dinner!) is about the aesthetic appeal. I'm not a fan of mixed fonts, nor of a variety of coloured fonts being used - you have green (two shades?) red, black, lilac and white! I think it would look instantly smarter if you limited the colour to just one or two - preferably compatible with the border colour. That wouldn't be hard to change. Maybe experiment a bit and post back here for others' opinions even? :)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
swede

Post by swede »

Hello,
As I was in your situation recently I understand the work it takes to build your own web site. I have some comments over some things that I noticed. I'm no expert and my own site has plenty of flaws but I'll try my best.

Egypt is really popular here in Sweden as a diving destination for example. Maybe you could target the Scandinavian market as well. People are dying to get out from the cold and darkness during winter.

The principle layout of the site works well. As somebody mentions the weather report takes out a large space and you could move that part down. I think the top banner "Hurghada Apartment...." could be re done with another font and size.

You should pay some more attention to the <title>home<title> as it is important for google. Read about seo and you'll get some ideas.

The picture of the house on "home" looks like a construction place and is not so appealing.

The calender is a gif and a small one also. That is a strange solution I think.

Otherwise I wish you best of luck!
hurghadasun

Alterations

Post by hurghadasun »

Well, we have made some alterations to the site and would invite comment :D

Regards to all

John and Kate
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Now you're talking! You're in a great spot! The home page is getting better - but you've still got too many fonts and too many font colours going on. It's not cool (IMHO) to do that - look to project something as "top class" (as you state in the text) as the apartment itself if you can.

The sunset has now become way too weeny - I might be inclined to use it on a different page (returned to its former size,) having shrunk it so much. It would be a shame not to use it, if it's one you took and not a stock image.

The other thing that doesn't work for me is the "stepped" effect of the header - it would make better sense having it the same width as the block below it and the text re-organised to run its width - then you can eliminate the dots, which only serve to fill an unnecessary gap.
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Just one small thing that can be annoying. I clicked through to cheapflights.co.uk from your travel info page. It would be really useful for that link to automatically open a new window. If I wanted to check flights against your calendar then I would have to reload your site again. Might put some people off.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
hurghadasun

Post by hurghadasun »

So, If I do everything you all say is means I'm going to get a load more bookings? :lol:
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

It all helps, deffo!! We get a lot of compliments from guests about our site, so it is pretty important to them I think. Just keep thinking of it as that shop window, and strive to make it as cool and professional-looking as possible. Good luck and give us a shout when there's more to see!
Austria

Greetings

Post by Austria »

Hi to Kate and John,

Welcome to this site and very best wishes for the rental property.

In terms of the property, the name is not memorable, it does not say what or where the villa is.

Could I suggest that you rename the site say "egyptian-oasis-villa" in these way people will know that the Villa is in Egypt, and will probably remember the oasis bit.

Also when Google rank you, it may help if your name reflects the locality. There again having a "unique" name with say "egypt" and "villa" may in time help? Google is fickle?

All the very best

Derek - Austria
hurghadasun

Post by hurghadasun »

Well, I have changed it again to have a bigger impact.

What I have noticed is that I am getting a lot more traffic and enquiries via the enquiries page. People are visiting the whole site as opposed to just the front page.

Still room for improvement though..eh? :D

We take up residence there in March for a couple of week so will be able to take a few more photographs of the "dressed" apartment and the immediate surroundings.

Cheers to all
Garri

Post by Garri »

What I have noticed is that I am getting a lot more traffic and enquiries via the enquiries page. People are visiting the whole site as opposed to just the front page
How are you getting more traffic and where from? The title tags on the website are non-descriptive. The homepage is titled 'Home'.
Paul Carmel

Post by Paul Carmel »

Can I ask why all the medical advice? Is a whole page on your site really necessary or is that dangerous there?
Last edited by Paul Carmel on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
PC
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hmm, yes I agree - it sends out worrying messages. This sort of thing can be referred to more briefly in a page dedicated to FAQ - or not at all, simply held back and replied to when people ask for info of that kind, plus of course included in the guest manual at the property.